Thread: Skills future
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3889 / Power: 15
ilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond reputeilikeoldchangke has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skills future

Just when I thought we can head to the food centre, he pulled out a cigarette and lit up while looking at the way a particular tree is leaning over the road. He started talking about a project that is almost completed.

My stomach was rumbling by then but I knew from experience when a uncle like him starts talking about work, it’s best to let him finish.

I ended up giving him a summary of what happened in the middle of the afternoon sun while waving 2nd hand smoke away from my face. Alvin knew I hated the smell and he did what he could by turning away when he exhale but come on.

I’m literally standing right in front of him, no matter how he turn, the smoke is still getting in my face.

The more we talked about work standing like two dumbasses beside the car under the sun, the longer the impromptu meeting dragged.

Alvin lit up his 3rd cigarette when I saw a police car turn into the narrow road we were on. I’m not sure why but I have a bad feeling. The car slowed down before parking behind us.

I felt my heart skip a beat when I saw Chan and Sulyani alight from the vehicle. I have not seen them since that faithful day and seeing them now felt so surreal.

I’m glad they are ok of course but I immediately looked away and pretended to be checking the tree a distance away while talking to my boss about a dead monitor lizard stinking up a storage shed in the garden.

I waited for a while before turning back and coming face to face with the two officers.

Holding my breath, I was afraid they would recognise me from that day of the incident, but they didn’t.

Sulyani gave me a quick once over but turned her attention to Alvin.

Sulyani and Chan asked what are we doing there.

“why ? what’s the problem officer ? “ Alvin asked

“Just want to know what are you guys doing here “ Sulyani said. “you have been loitering here for sometime and someone made a complaint.”

“Smoking lah ? Cannot smoke here ah ? “ I could see Alvin getting into his defensive and aggressive mode and I quickly butted in.

People at his age hate getting told off, or rather, being told what to do, it didn’t matter if they are right or wrong.

“I’m sorry, we’re leaving right now.” I said while trying to stop Alvin from flaring up. I’ve seen him snap for something as trivia as a biscuit wrapper in the middle of the lake.

The resident of the private estate we are standing beside made a complaint to the police according to Chan. He asked to check our identifications and I could see my boss about to explode.

To him, this is not about the police doing their job. To him, this is two young punks trying to accuse him of something.

Alvin started raising his voice, not at the police, but at me.

“JERRY ! FUCK LA. Rich people…. Afraid to DIE AH. A little bit of 2nd hand smoke also need to call police!. Outside here is public road ok. not their grandfather road AH !”

It may appear that Alvin was talking to me but anyone could see that was meant for the owners of the property who made the complaint.
I could see the expression on Sulyani and Chan’s faces changed and I quickly put up my palms to try and defuse the situation.

Pulling out my lanyard and my staff pass, I explained that we work for Nparks.

I literally had to wrestle my boss’s staff pass from him as he kept trying to make things difficult.

Chan insisted on our IDs and I almost had to rob Alvin for his wallet to hand it over to Chan.

“He’s my boss, bad day for him. We’re done here. We’re going off. Now. like right now… I’m sorry for the trouble.” I said with a smile while trying to drag Alvin away.

I gestured for his cigarette, but that stubborn old fool decided to puff away more vigorously, blowing smoke towards the boundary wall of the house. He’s not taking this well.

Alvin lit up another cigarette, puffing 2 together like a chimmy, determined to fumigate the spot we are standing on.

“Jerry, you scare what ? nothing wrong ? we did nothing wrong !! EH. Public road leh ! you scare what ? ” Alvin said as I continued dragging him away and I could see Sulyani looking at me a little intently.

I think she is trying to recollect where she has seen me before.

“I’m hungry Boss, I got fixed lunch time. If I go back late I will get scolded. My lunch time is 1 to 2 ! “

“What the FUCK la ? . I’m your boss. I’m on half day. you go back late, who the fuck is going to scold you ? “ Alvin said in an agitated manner as he tried to pull his arm away from my hold.

Chan handed our ID back and suggested we leave and not loiter outside the property.

I alternated between pulling him away from the two officers and turning to look at the same guys I saved a month ago.
Sulyani by then had her eyes fixed on me. She was not moving and I could see she was thinking of something. Trying to recall where did she last saw me.

I managed to yank Alvin across the road and head towards the food centre.

“Haiyah !... what’s your problem Jerry… ? No need to be afraid of them. We did nothing wrong !.. “

“Boss, I’m hungry. Now peak hour, very hard to get a seat la. “ I said, dragging him like a mother dragging a stubborn child away from the toy section of the mall.

Upon entering the food centre, Alvin snapped at me.

“arghhhh!. If not for you.. I would have fucked that two young punk up…what the hell. Maybe I should go tell that property owner off also ah…what the fuck..! I think the trees in his property is sick, cut them all down… hazard to public….” He cursed again as I pointed to an empty table, gesturing for him to sit down.

Shaking my head, I went to grab two large mugs of sugarcane juice.

“Suar la, Suar la ( forget it ) . You so old already, still get worked up over this kind of things….for what ? “ I said, pushing the mug of drink over to him.

The frown on his irritated face got a bit better after the down a large gulp of the cold drink.

Alvin wanted prawn noodles and I told him I’ll get the same thing.

After a short wait, I was about to tuck into my bowl of noodles when I saw Sulyani and Chan coming into the food centre.

I don’t think they are there for us, they’re probably there to grab lunch too but they saw us. Or rather, Alvin saw them.

Sulyani and Chan did not see us initially, they went to get their own lunch and I started praying when I saw them looking around for seats. It just so happened that the table beside us decide to get up.

“not here, not here, please not here.” I mumbled under my breath.

Fate has a way of playing with people and as luck would have it, Sulyani and Chan set their food down on the table beside us.

Alvin set his utensils down in a defiant manner and started a staring match. I had to bite down on my tongue in order not to roll my eyes.

“Boss, come on la ! You 61, not 16 ! stare for what ? “

“ Eh Jerry, you something wrong ah. Why you so scare of police ? Stare only what ? Which law in Singapore say you cannot stare at police ? I curious about them what…. They handsome and pretty….“

Sulyani and Chan looked at Alvin as they cautiously scooped rice into their mouth. They must be wondering what is this man’s problem.

“haiyah… just eat your..” I could not bring myself to finish talking when my eyes saw a familiar sight.

I literally froze mid-sentence as I too dropped my utensils.

Right across the circular food centre, walking table to table, is the same old man I saw selling newspaper in the park the other day. I blinked a couple of times just to be sure it’s him and not someone who looked like him.

“Oei Jerry, Jerry. “ Alvin called out to me but I slowly stood up and I looked at the man going from table to table to peddle his newspaper.

He was wearing a cap pulled down low but I know it’s him
The man looked up and our eyes met. He broke into a knowing smile, as if the two of us shared some secret nobody else knows.

My suddenly change in behaviour caught Sulyani’s attention as well and she too, followed the direction where I was looking.

“Jerry, eh, Jerry….Oei… what’s wrong with you… ?” My boss called out to me but I did not reply him.

“Boss sorry, i… I … I saw someone I know… give me a minute…” I said as I started walking towards the man.

The newspaper seller turned and started walking out of the food centre. He just walked out.
I chased after him, coming out into a busy car park with cars lining up and waiting for a lot.

Turning my head around, I saw the newspaper seller walking towards the direction where we parked our car.

“hey ! HEY!” I shouted as I ran towards him.

I caught up to him in time and I’m right.