Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 20 / Power: 0
seeseekia deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: All you need to know about "Marriage/Divorce" under the SG Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyberduke View Post
Gosh, the saddest thing is that most of our lawyers have this standard template that computes child maintenance, normally targeted at 50% of household income per child, then play gracious by lowering this amount through negotiation. I was at the receiving end too. For all brothers/sisters who encounter this (I included sisters as the law is going to change), do play bluff and off to open a joint account for both parents to put in the same amount of money every month for child maintenance. Or agree to the amount provided both pay a ratio based on their salary. Unused amount gets accumulated in the account for future use. All unused amount goes into a monthly allowance of XXX amount for the child upon her graduation from university or highest educational institute for a year. Remainder will be returned in the same ratio to the parents.

Yes, you need a lawyer to lower the amount. If you are facing financial difficulties like what you have just described, provide the details to the pro bono by law society Singapore and you will get legal aid.

The easier way is to talk to your ex-spouse first and explain. Going direct through the legal process will agitate the other party and only make things worst before it gets better eventually.
What law is going to change? care to share? I going into a possible divorce.