PDA

View Full Version : Divorce Matters - Advice Needed

tomcat007
12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Bros

I am currently in discussion with my soon-to-be ex-wife on getting a divorce and have some questions which I hope brothers here (especially those who have gone through the same or familiar with divorce law) can advise.

Our situation is very clear cut. We do not have any kid, hence there is no custody or "kid's maintenance" to talk about. In addition, she has already written in an email to me saying that "she don't think she'll take alimony from me". The fact is that she is earning much more than me and does not need to take a single cent from me to maintain her current lifestyle.

The only thing we have to settle is the hdb flat that we bought about 8 years ago and am currently staying in. Due to financial abilities, the difference between our contribution is about $20k (eg. she - $70k, me - $50k). I'm responsible for the utility bills every month (about $100 per month) while she's responsible for buying the necessities (about $50 every 2 months). When we got the flat, I also took a loan to pay for the renovation. This loan is about $24k and is entirely paid for by me. I do retain all the invoices and loan papers with regards to the flat.

Here're the questions that I hope brothers here can advise:

Question 1: If she later want to claim alimony when we go to lawyer/court, can I then present this email from her when trying to negotiate for a low amount or even no alimony?

Question 2: In my case, how will the court decide which party will get how much % of the flat sale? I'm concerned as currently, she has definitely contributed more with regards to the purchase price of the flat but, if the renovation loan is taken into consideration (which I think should be the case as renovation is required to bring the flat into live-able condition), then I have contributed more.

Question 3: Can anyone recommend a lawyer that is affordable? She got a lawyer but it cost about $2,500 which I think should be the market price. But of course, if can get a more affordable one will be better.

Question 4: Her lawyer is saying that although we have mutually consented to getting a divorce, our grounds for a divorce is not good enough for an immediate divorce. Hence, unless we use

1. Adultery or
2. Unreasonable behavior or
3. Desertion for 2 years

we need at least 3 years separation in order to get a divorce.

My question is... Can the "3 years separation" period be back dated? For example, like we have been living separate lives (although under the same roof) since 3 years ago? Do we have to provide proof if we say so? Will there be any implication legally if it's found out to be false? I am concerned about this point as we did actually go for a trip together a few months back. So, if it is illegal to backdate the separation period, then I'll forget about it. (I don't want to be caught with my pants down...)

Question 5: I don't mind using adultery or unreasonable behavior on my part if it can help to settle this divorce fast. But, will there be any implication in how the court decide on the apportionment of the flat %?

I understand this post is a bit long... but I really hope that any brothers here who is experience or knowledgeable in this area can help. All these years, she has been a good wife for me. That things have reach such a stage, I have a lot to be responsible for. No, I did not commit adultery or did anything wrong to her. My inability to hold a regular job and bring sufficient money home is the main issue here. The only fault on her part is that she didn't (or didn't want to) get along with my family and bear me a kid (although I understand it could be due to financial concern).

Despite that, I also don't want to be at a disadvantage when it comes to monetary matters. All I want is to get a fair share here.

Hence, brothers.... your advice(s) will be very much appreciated.

Bangster
12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I would suggest waiting out the 3 years and don't do anything silly that can be used as evidence in court against you later.

The email stating no need for alimony is 1 thing, you can never guess the outcome later when things start to take a turn for the worse.....

Like a scout - BE PREPARED!

Royster79
12-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi bro, from what u post, since u said that she has been a good wife all these years, how come u all wanted a divorce?? Dun u think that all these years of relationship is wasted?? I presume that both of u dun have a big issue...

Make her understand that although u r unable to make big $$ now, that doesn't mean that u will not in future... but of coz, u have to show her that u really did put in hardwork...

From my POV, u two lack of communication... U got to find out y she dun want to have a kid.. then from there, both can try to work out a solution.. As for family relationship, infact, many wife cannot get along well with MIL..

Just make sure that they both dun see each other so often can liao... The problematic 1 might not be ur wife, it could be ur mum( sorry if this sounds a bit offensive ).. I know its hard for u to be sandwich in-between... But do u realise that the most possible person to live old with u is ur wife and not ur parents?? Of coz, this statement is not to ask u to always side ur wife, instead, always look at things from another point... u might see it even clearer...

For me, i dun like to see ppl getting divorce becoz of communication problems... If adultery is involve, i will definitely side the victim and support the divorce... But in ur case, i dun see a big problem..

These are just some of my thinking... The final decision still lies with u... But do remember, do not regret whatever decision u make...All the best to u.. Take care:)

tomcat007
12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Royster

Thanks for your reply and concern.

I do really appreciate it.

But, the way I look at it, there is really no way that we can save this marriage already. Though I feel that the time we spent together will be so wasted, but I could no longer look at her and say I love her anymore. Whether she wants to bear me a child or not, it is no longer important as my mother is no longer around now. :( Plus, the fact is that she's the one who bring up the issue of divorce.

Anyway, thanks for your concern. :)

slider_72
12-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Question 1: If she later want to claim alimony when we go to lawyer/court, can I then present this email from her when trying to negotiate for a low amount or even no alimony?

Since you are probably going to have a three-year separation, why don't you sign a deed of separation and stating in the deed what sort of arrangements you both can agree on after the divorce? Anyway, maintenance depends on the respective income of both spouses. If her income is higher than yours, what maintenance are you talking about? Have you supported her lifestyle during the marriage? Since your income is lower than hers, probably you did not even give her any money whilst you were married. Chances are she will not be entitled to any maintenance.

Question 2: In my case, how will the court decide which party will get how much % of the flat sale? I'm concerned as currently, she has definitely contributed more with regards to the purchase price of the flat but, if the renovation loan is taken into consideration (which I think should be the case as renovation is required to bring the flat into live-able condition), then I have contributed more.

Based on your respective financial contributions in acquiring the asset, non-financial contributions maintaining or improving the asset, the length of time you were married, etc. If you were not married for long, and the total financial contributions are almost equal, chances are you will get a 50:50 split.

Question 3: Can anyone recommend a lawyer that is affordable? She got a lawyer but it cost about $2,500 which I think should be the market price. But of course, if can get a more affordable one will be better.

Want cheap want good where to find?

Question 4: Her lawyer is saying that although we have mutually consented to getting a divorce, our grounds for a divorce is not good enough for an immediate divorce. Hence, unless we use

1. Adultery or
3. Desertion for 2 years

My question is... Can the "3 years separation" period be back dated? For example, like we have been living separate lives (although under the same roof) since 3 years ago? Do we have to provide proof if we say so? Will there be any implication legally if it's found out to be false? I am concerned about this point as we did actually go for a trip together a few months back. So, if it is illegal to backdate the separation period, then I'll forget about it. (I don't want to be caught with my pants down...)

You will be required to swear on oath the true of the matters stated. If you tell a lie on oath, it is contempt of court. Technically you can be imprisoned for contempt of court although it is not common. You want to take a risk that nobody will find out, then its up to you lor.

Question 5: I don't mind using adultery or unreasonable behavior on my part if it can help to settle this divorce fast. But, will there be any implication in how the court decide on the apportionment of the flat %?

Since no adultery or unreasonable behaviour, how to rely on these two grounds unless you lie on oath? See answer to question above on contempt of court. Anyway if you do decide to tell a big fat lie, it should not affect the division of the HDB flat. See answer to question 2 above.

Despite that, I also don't want to be at a disadvantage when it comes to monetary matters. All I want is to get a fair share here.

What is a fair share? I am not sure how long you have been married but she probably spent a not insignificant part of her life with you. If you want to talk about fair, how about the number of times you slept with her, the number of times she cooked for you and did your laundry, the happy times you had in the past? Is she going to be compensated for those sacrifices? I am not saying that you did not make any sacrifices on your part as well but be man about it. The worse thing after a divorce is to fight over $1 here and $2 there.

Royster79
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Royster

Thanks for your reply and concern.

I do really appreciate it.

But, the way I look at it, there is really no way that we can save this marriage already. Though I feel that the time we spent together will be so wasted, but I could no longer look at her and say I love her anymore. Whether she wants to bear me a child or not, it is no longer important as my mother is no longer around now. :( Plus, the fact is that she's the one who bring up the issue of divorce.

Anyway, thanks for your concern. :)

U r welcome bro... But still the same sentence... DO NOT regret whatever decision u make...:)

tomcat007
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Since you are probably going to have a three-year separation, why don't you sign a deed of separation and stating in the deed what sort of arrangements you both can agree on after the divorce? Anyway, maintenance depends on the respective income of both spouses. If her income is higher than yours, what maintenance are you talking about? Have you supported her lifestyle during the marriage? Since your income is lower than hers, probably you did not even give her any money whilst you were married. Chances are she will not be entitled to any maintenance.

Noted! Thanks....

Based on your respective financial contributions in acquiring the asset, non-financial contributions maintaining or improving the asset, the length of time you were married, etc. If you were not married for long, and the total financial contributions are almost equal, chances are you will get a 50:50 split.

So I take it that the renovation loan will be taken into consideration? Noted!

LOL... True. I also know difficult, but no harm asking right?

1. Adultery or
3. Desertion for 2 years

You will be required to swear on oath the true of the matters stated. If you tell a lie on oath, it is contempt of court. Technically you can be imprisoned for contempt of court although it is not common. You want to take a risk that nobody will find out, then its up to you lor.

Noted! That's what I fear too. Don't want to be on the wrong side of the law also.

Since no adultery or unreasonable behaviour, how to rely on these two grounds unless you lie on oath? See answer to question above on contempt of court. Anyway if you do decide to tell a big fat lie, it should not affect the division of the HDB flat. See answer to question 2 above.

Noted! Thanks...

What is a fair share? I am not sure how long you have been married but she probably spent a not insignificant part of her life with you. If you want to talk about fair, how about the number of times you slept with her, the number of times she cooked for you and did your laundry, the happy times you had in the past? Is she going to be compensated for those sacrifices? I am not saying that you did not make any sacrifices on your part as well but be man about it. The worse thing after a divorce is to fight over $1 here and $2 there.

Yes, I understand there is no fairness when affairs of the heart is concerned. We do have very happy times together. Pak Tor for 2-3 years followed by married for 8 years liao. It's not a short period of time. ** sigh ** I also don't wish matters to reach this stage.

Anyway, I'll be discussing with her before going to the lawyers...

Thanks though for your comments. :)

cavemanng
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM

I don't think so. Normally, the odds will swing towards women. Ask your lawyer and I believe he/ she will say the same thing

I don't think so. Normally, the odds will swing towards women. Ask your lawyer and I believe he/ she will say the same thing

There is 1 building in Chinatown where there are a lot of lawyers. No need great lawyers to file for divorce case. Anyone will do.

1. Adultery or
3. Desertion for 2 years

Wait. There is nothing you can do. Anyway, just some procedure to follow. I doubt it will affect either of you.

If you use adultery or unreasonable behavior, the odds will immediately swing towards your wife. This will spoil the judge's impression of you. Ask your lawyer, I believe this is so.

Leave this thing to the hands of the judge. I am sure as long as the husband is proven wrong, the wife will get more. End of story.

dgsk
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Bro TS
I think you've got all the advice you need from Royster79 and Slider_72.

I think you are only going to divorce on the grounds of "irreconcilable differences"; which appears to be the truth. So get the deed of separation ASAP. The best you can hope for is to back date it a few months subject to both parties and your lawyers agreeing.

During the separation, I believe you can both lead rather "free" lives except for having affairs of a sexual nature; ie don't get caught with your pants down and no live in girlfriends.

As for the flat, if both parties agree, it can be disposed of now, subject to you complying to HDB rules. Then you can come to an agreement on how the monies should be dealt with now. That minimises any chance of anyone having a change of mind during the 3 years. It also means both of you will no longer be staying under the same roof; thus minimising any potential behavioral agitations and aggravations. It also limits your concern of maintenance since, for the period of separation, she has not relied upon you for financial support. This moves the separation and divorce closer to a level of formalities. During this period, you should then avoid as much as possible crossing paths with her for the same reason. But all this can only work if both parties truly want an amicable divorce.

Good Luck.

tomcat007
12-09-2008, 07:00 PM
caveman and dgsk

Thanks for your advice.

Seems like the 3 years separation is the only way to move forward.

Will talk to her and see how it goes.

Thanks.

cavemanng
12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
caveman and dgsk

Thanks for your advice.

Seems like the 3 years separation is the only way to move forward.

Will talk to her and see how it goes.

Thanks.

All the best!

blur boy
12-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Bro....one more advise from me.

NEVER NEVER trust what the women say eg:
1) You can go and have your affairs...
2) I do not want to have your alimony...

Becauce during the 3 years of separation...ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!! and like what many old centuries have said before, NEVER INCUR THE WRATH OF A WOMAN....

So be smart and play ball...

Lychee
12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I heard normally the wife's lawyer will advice her to ask for a nominal fee of $1/mth. This will leave the whole case wide open and she can came back for more if the need arises.

All I want is to get a fair share here.
The moment you sign the ROM paper, the Woman Charter kick in, it is assume that you have forgo your Right of Fairest. :D

Anyway, I'll be discussing with her before going to the lawyers...[/COLOR][/B]
It seem to me u are having a 'peaceful' divorce rather than a 'violent' type. Do have a good discussion with her, else Woman Charter will protect her. :D

Good Luck

Lychee
12-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Yeah.. Never ever trust a living thing who can bleed for 7 days and still survive :D

Royster79
12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah.. Never ever trust a living thing who can bleed for 7 days and still survive :D

Haha... good line.. Second that:D

wisley
13-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi there , Just some advise from me which i hope will be helpful as i went thru exactly what you are going thru now few years back.

You may keep the email if you think you dun trust your soon-to-be-ex-wife. However, i think you will know the answer yourself better than anyone around whith your relationship with her whether will she play you out or not. Like what is advised earlier by another bro, the lawyer will be able to settle all the terms and condition in the 3 years separation deed agreement for both of you. 3 years separation is unavoidable but when 3 years is up, the divorce procededing will be quite fast provided uu settle the house before the divorce with nothing pending.

I would suggest that u settle the sales of the flat before the divorce as it could be a situation where it will bring the case longer if there is any pending issue such as house or child to be resolved. From my experience, the percentage set by HDB is depending on how much both of you are paying for the monthly installment and the amount is evenly settle. Take for example, like your case, if you are paying 40% of the installment, then you will get 40% of the profit if the house is at a profit and if your house is selling at a lose, then you will only lose 40% of the amount lose. Renovatiion amount will not be consider.However, you can discuss with her on this issue before going to the lawyer and if she is willing to pay for her share then good for you(if the house is selling at a profit lah)if not i would suggest you forget about it.

When i got my case, i got a cheaper lawyer who is a professional is doing divorce case. I was charge with around $2000 including the stamp fee as it was recommended by a friend of mine. If you want can recommend to you.

1. Adultery or
3. Desertion for 2 years

Suggest you do not consider this option of back date althought my lawyer have backdate for me a few months. Of course the period cannot be too far apart.

If you never commit it, why take the it? Although it might not affect you for now, but i am sure it will affect you in future if(touch wood) you kena another divorce. It will be consider as a black mark for you.

Hope that my advise is useful for you and i will help you. If you do need the lawyer contacts, you can PM me.

A last piece of advise for you is it would be better that you consider going thru a conselling session before making any decision as it is always a sad thing to see relationship ending in such a manner......All the best to you.

.[/QUOTE]

yang punk
13-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Funny no one commented about the fact that the wife is earning more than the husband.

Very often women who are very achievement driven and especially not burden by kids, lose respect for husbands who are less successful then themselves.

TS wife may have already set her sight on someone else and is therefore ASKING for divorce!

So perhaps if TS can get evidence of her infidelity that might end the marriage sooner.

Just my 2 c

yp

dgsk
13-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Bro....one more advise from me.

1) You can go and have your affairs...
2) I do not want to have your alimony...

Becauce during the 3 years of separation...ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!! and like what many old centuries have said before, NEVER INCUR THE WRATH OF A WOMAN....

So be smart and play ball...

That's why I say sell the flat ASAP, split the money in an agreed way and stay away from each other. And whatever you do, DON'T get caught with your pants down before Divorce Nicee is granted by the courts.

HayHot
14-09-2008, 12:46 AM
I heard normally the wife's lawyer will advice her to ask for a nominal fee of $1/mth. This will leave the whole case wide open and she can came back for more if the need arises.

Yes. Do not agree to any nominal fee of any amount, even 1cents. This will leave the road for future increase in ailmony open.
If there's totally no maintenance, she cannot ask for maintenance in the future.
If there's a maintenance, even a token sum of $1 or 1 cents, she can always go to court to revise the maintenance.
Give her $1200 as a lump sum, which is enough for 100 years or $1 each month as a lump sum if she ask for a token amount of $1 a month.

But then again, if I am not wrong, if she remarried, all needs for maintenance is gone. (Especially you have no kids, so no kids maintenance till 18).

Last but not least, I thought in Singapore Adultry is NOT a ground for divorce ? There is only 1 Ground for Divorce, which is "Irretrievable Breakdown of Marriage".
5 factual situations which may give rise to this ground are:-
1. Adultery
2. Unreasonable behaviour
3. Desertion
4. Separation for 3 years with consent
5. Separation for 4 years without consent

You may want to visit this site for more information. (Just something i googled, not sure if it's totally right or wrong).
Singapore Family Law, Divorce, Nullity (Annulment), Adoption, Judicial Separation, Domestic Violence at LAW.com.sg : Loh Eben Ong and Partners - Singapore Divorce Lawyers, Singapore Law Firm, Singapore Lawyers and Singapore Law Firms Network providin (http://www.law.com.sg/family.htm#Divorce_General)

You can even get an online quote.....Not too sure if it'll be cheaper.

spongeman
14-09-2008, 01:12 AM
i heard that it is hard to be judge on adultery unless they are caught red-handed with pictures taken...guess will be under unreasonable behaviour...

tomcat007
14-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the replies and also apologize for the late reply.

I appreciate the fact that some of you advised that we attending counseling sessions. A few months back, I might give it a try. But, the circumstance now is that relationship between us has totally broken down. Don't think we can accept each other as spouses again.

I had a talk with "her" 2 days ago and basically, we had come to an agreement on how to move forward (i.e. settling the flat first then proceed with the paperwork).

Wisley, can you send me the contact for the divorce lawyer that you used for your case? (I will pm you with the request as well.)

Young Punk, your observation might be on the spot. But, at current stage, I don't think I want to dwell into that. (Don't want to risk incurring her wrath and start asking for alimony...) I already did not do my part to support her financially, don't think it's nice to point finger at her too. She has been a good wife all these years. I think she has the right to want out if indeed this is what she wants.

HayHot, I will definitely NOT agree to anything with regards to alimony. Not sure if she will remarry in future, but don't want to have an opportunity to get caught again.

Again guys (and gals if any), thanks for all the advices. Really appreciate it.

NewFreedom
14-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I am currently in discussion with my soon-to-be ex-wife on getting a divorce

An email cannot be submitted in Court of Law as evidence. She can always claim she wrote it, and change her mind later. As long as a statement is not officially entered into the separation/divorce deed, it is not taken into account.

The sure-fire way to do this is get your lawyer to enter a full detailed list of requests and exclusions, vetted by both lawyers (if she has one too), you and her. This will be submitted to the Courts for processsing, then it is considered official.

Question 2: In my case, how will the court decide which party will get how much % of the flat sale?

I divorced without flat, can't comment.

PM me for Mary Ong's number and you can check out her rates. Some lawyers allow you to pay via instalments, that's negotiation between you and the lawyer. If you have a stable job for past 2 years, usually they are ok with it.

Question 4:My question is... Can the "3 years separation" period be back dated?

It can be backdated, provided you are truly separated. Do not attempt (or accept offers) to make your lawyer lie on your behalf. Some lawyers proclaim to be able to do that, but the risk involvement is not worth it. No clean lawyers will agree to this too.

If you are caught, you are committing the offence of submitting false information (just like submitting false statement to police) and that is chargeable in the Courts of Law as a serious offence. Penalty is heavy.

As for your lawyer, if caught, will be debarred from practising law for a period of time. Which is why, some lawyers will not be that stupid to risk their rice-bowl just to help you lie. Think, will you not feel bad if someone loses his/her job just to help you?

Adultery is not easy to prove. You need solid evidence to present your case.

Bear in mind though, when a person is "registered" with adultery, the next time the person get married again, the Justice of Peace will openly ask the opposite person whether is he/she aware that he/she is marrying a person with a history of adultery? If you have invited guests, they will hear it too. You have no option to be asked privately when you re-marry again. Be it you or your ex-wife to-be, it will look extremely bad. Think twice, and don't rush into this for the sake of only now.

I advise you to run through the proper procedures, now that I have shared with you the consequences of submitting false information for the sake of a quick divorce. Having to go through a divorce is bad enough, do you want to incur the wrath of more shit coming your way? I reckon you wouldn't like it.

You also have to present your case if you decide to use unreasonable behaviour. Trust me, it is not easy to convince the judge beyond any doubts. The only thing I know that ensures swift divorce is domestic violence. Now, do you want to bear that name of "wife abuser"? Or does your ex-wife to-be not minding to bear the reputation of "husband abuser"? Take note, you will need full medical records to support your claims too.

*Fellow divorcee*

dgsk
15-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Bro Vesfreq2

It seems that sbf samsters have matured in age quite a bit. They came when they were footloose and fancy-free and stayed thru while they got married and created families of their own. So they feel a sense of belonging and affinity with the bros here. So they share many aspects of their lives and seek solace here.

I was here or its previous manfestation way back in 98 to about 03, I think, unfortunately I forgot my previous log-in, so I appear as a newbie new.

tomcat007
15-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow... dgsk

You are also a laojiao...!

I was here also when sammyboyforum.com is Samuel Leong welcomes you to Asian Girls Sex Scene - prostitution, prostitutes, massage parlors,Amateur nude asian girls, asia sex -Warning Asian porn Site (http://www.webcom.com/~leongsam), and then delphi, then when the sex forum is getting too much traffic for delphi to handle (without much revenue), then Sam set up Sam's Alfresco Coffee - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.sammyboy.com).

I "lost" my nick too... hence, registered this new one.

Bangster
15-09-2008, 06:12 PM
OT:
Reading this is a bit scary..... Many years ago when I surfed sbf (somewhere 7 years ago), I have never read of such things being discussed on sbf and more people talk about divorces.

Yeah, it's quite shocking to see how much things can change in just 7 years. I was here too, back in '97 or 8.

Still remember the super lao jiaos...eg. Walao (hor gao gan lah!), Mr Billchee (bbw lover), Hunter....etc etc

dgsk
15-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, it's quite shocking to see how much things can change in just 7 years. I was here too, back in '97 or 8.

Still remember the super lao jiaos...eg. Walao (hor gao gan lah!), Mr Billchee (bbw lover), Hunter....etc etc

Eh, Bangster, can I have your home address please? Need to send you a calculator. 2008 minus 1998 equals 7 ??? MUAHAHAHA!!!! So so sorry, couldn't resist.

Bangster
15-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Paiseh paiseh....my max is fail all ler way one. Somemore I never learn how to use the kaokew-rator.

The answer should be 6.

:D

(aiyah the 2 sentences I posted in the previous post not related one lah......)