PDA

View Full Version : Annoyomous Testing by AFA Accurate?

LENS
04-05-2008, 12:43 PM
just want to share something with everyone.

i go to Annoyomous Testing by AFA almost every 3 months to check on my status.

however, recently, from what my friends and i have experienced, the testing time is getting shorter and shorter.

from the time the pricking of finger to results released by the AFA staff, was between 9 to 11 minutes.

it used to be 15 to 20 mins and thats what the AFA website state.

now, im starting to doubt/worry that the Annoyomous Testing by AFA is it accurate or not?

another thing is that the AFA staff do not seem to want to explain how the test strip works, or what type of test it is etc.

so, AFA, care to explain to us?

peanut123
04-05-2008, 03:58 PM
just want to share something with everyone.

i go to Annoyomous Testing by AFA almost every 3 months to check on my status.

however, recently, from what my friends and i have experienced, the testing time is getting shorter and shorter.

from the time the pricking of finger to results released by the AFA staff, was between 9 to 11 minutes.

it used to be 15 to 20 mins and thats what the AFA website state.

now, im starting to doubt/worry that the Annoyomous Testing by AFA is it accurate or not?

another thing is that the AFA staff do not seem to want to explain how the test strip works, or what type of test it is etc.

so, AFA, care to explain to us?

I'm not from AFA, but I can guess what is happening. As time goes by, technology improves and the test becomes more sensitive. The 20 minute guideline did not change, probably because nobody bothered to update it, and that its still better to overstate the time then to understate.

On the test strip, there are 2 white sections. A red line in one of the white sections ( i think the one nearer the colored section ) indicates that the strip is working fine. As long as that line appears, I think it means the results can be read.

The other white section also has a line but this line only shows up if you test positive for HIV. So, if you are negative, you will only see 1 red line ( as above ), and if there are 2 red lines, it means you have HIV.

coolfire69
04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm not from AFA, but I can guess what is happening. As time goes by, technology improves and the test becomes more sensitive. The 20 minute guideline did not change, probably because nobody bothered to update it, and that its still better to overstate the time then to understate.

On the test strip, there are 2 white sections. A red line in one of the white sections ( i think the one nearer the colored section ) indicates that the strip is working fine. As long as that line appears, I think it means the results can be read.

The other white section also has a line but this line only shows up if you test positive for HIV. So, if you are negative, you will only see 1 red line ( as above ), and if there are 2 red lines, it means you have HIV.

I totally agree with what bro peanut123 stated - technology improves with time...

Anyway, i just did my test at AFA yesterday, for HIV & Syphilis. Results (lucky both -ve :)) were ready in about 12mins. The counsellor did explain that results would be ready in 10-15 mins.

What bro peanut123 also mentioned above about the 1st red line indicating that the strips are working fine, & the 2nd red line only appears if one is tested +ve for HIV or Syphilis, is absolutely correct. This was what the counsellor explained to me too.

One point to note...since the testing is anonymous, you won't get to keep your results... :p

Nokia E61
04-05-2008, 06:25 PM
hi. just want to seek some advice.

i had sex with a FL with CAPs. however, still out of fear, i went to test at 6 weeks (AFA), 10 weeks (AFA), 19 weeks (Clinic), 32 weeks (AFA) and recently at 78 weeks (AFA).

All results are Negative for AFA and Non-Reactive for Clinic.

however, i am still afraid. Like what bro LENS said, i may also doubt the accuracy of the test done by AFA.

side track abit, for my testing history, is it safe to conclude that for that one and only encounter, i am safe from HIV/Aids?

AfA_hmor
04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Generally it takes about 10-15 mins for the results to show on the test strip.

The chemicals on test strip starts to react to the blood and antibodies, colors start to show up very shortly after the test has been conducted and settles into a clear line (control). This shows that the test is working properly, and enough time has been given to let the chemicals react.
If the control line is still 'fuzzy' and all over the place, it means that the test strip is still in the process of reacting to the blood, the result won't be read as negative.

Only when the control line is bold and clear, and the test line shows nothing, do we declare it a negative result.

So, not to worry about the accuracy of the result.

LENS
04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
ok, thanks. i hope that your staff practice what you preach and not the other way round.

btw, how accurate is this test done by AFA as compared to lab/Hospital? whats the name of the test kit and you have any info on it?

Generally it takes about 10-15 mins for the results to show on the test strip.

The chemicals on test strip starts to react to the blood and antibodies, colors start to show up very shortly after the test has been conducted and settles into a clear line (control). This shows that the test is working properly, and enough time has been given to let the chemicals react.
If the control line is still 'fuzzy' and all over the place, it means that the test strip is still in the process of reacting to the blood, the result won't be read as negative.

Only when the control line is bold and clear, and the test line shows nothing, do we declare it a negative result.

So, not to worry about the accuracy of the result.

peanut123
08-05-2008, 02:22 AM
hi. just want to seek some advice.

i had sex with a FL with CAPs. however, still out of fear, i went to test at 6 weeks (AFA), 10 weeks (AFA), 19 weeks (Clinic), 32 weeks (AFA) and recently at 78 weeks (AFA).

All results are Negative for AFA and Non-Reactive for Clinic.

however, i am still afraid. Like what bro LENS said, i may also doubt the accuracy of the test done by AFA.

side track abit, for my testing history, is it safe to conclude that for that one and only encounter, i am safe from HIV/Aids?

wah lao, you are safe lar. The max window for HIV is only 6 months, with the majority being 3 months. At 78 weeks, its already 18 months liao, you have exceed the window by 1 year! Any HIV would already be super duper detectabled by then. Dun worry so much about this. Go and read up on HIV and tests. Knowledge is power, and will make you feel less frightened and more confident about yourself and about the tests.

poison
10-05-2008, 01:37 AM
can lady go for such test or just for male only?

FL_Noob
11-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Yo Bros, I just found this on the website when i was surfing the net just now. 12 DAY?? It is true? Or just another con site?

Singapore HIV Aids screening testing clinic (http://www.hiv.sg/)

We offer HIV screening that is based on a window period between infection and detectability of disease of about 12 days instead of the usual 6 months as provided by other frequently used methods. It may be suitable for:

coolfire69
11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Hard to say, you never know..

But for me, I prefer waiting & then go to AFA to test... :D

AfA_hmor
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
can lady go for such test or just for male only?

Ladies can go for HIV test too.
It's not just for men only.

AfA_hmor
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Yo Bros, I just found this on the website when i was surfing the net just now. 12 DAY?? It is true? Or just another con site?

We offer HIV screening that is based on a window period between infection and detectability of disease of about 12 days instead of the usual 6 months as provided by other frequently used methods. It may be suitable for:

Believe its a fake site. Very dubious looking lor. Never give address.
12 Days is too short a time for the anti-bodies to form.

hendri
11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
never go for this type of test...no address..only telephone...

BTW, bro, where in singapore, can we buy this oral test kit and test it ourself...? instead of tested by a doctor by the same kit.....

AfA_hmor
12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
can't DIY for impt reasons lah.
what happens after u test? how u want to get help?

trubillet
15-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi to all bros, i am new here. Just like to ask. Is it SAFE to test at AFA. I mean the needle(lancet), do they reuse them? do they wear gloves?? Is it in a clinical setting??? Anybody ever kenna HIV from HIV TESTING?? sorry to ask such stupid questions. Just like to be reassure.

AfA_hmor
17-05-2008, 10:24 AM
It is a clinical setting, it's at DSC clinic. (but note the difference between DSC's test and AFA's test)

Yes, when they draw your blood they use gloves. And wear a fresh one with each client. The Lancet is also disposed after each use.

Because of this, no one has gotten HIV from HIV testing.

OnlyONS
18-05-2008, 07:13 AM

I called them and they say theirs is not the normal test and ask me to drop by for consult as they dont do over the phone consultation

anyway I found this

HIV test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_test)

Seems like technology now can test within 12 days lei

AfA_hmor
20-05-2008, 09:21 AM
why don't u go all the way and try their test. then post an FR.
see whether its a scam or if you kenna ripped off.

powersonic2000
21-05-2008, 11:33 AM
The Annoyomous testing by AFA is accurate. Just for your information there are 2 types of HIV Rapid test kit approved to be used in Singapore. One of them is the one used by AFA where you have to drip your blood onto the test kit. Probably about 10 min the result will shown up but it takes about 15 mins for it to fully dry up. 1 line is negative and of course 2 line is positive. The other type is the oral HIV Rapid test kit. No blood is needed. Just need the oral fluid from your gum. It also takes about 10 mins for the result to shown up but it takes about 20 mins for it to fully dry up. 1 line is negative and of course 2 line is positive. But for HIV antibodies testing one have to take note of the windows period 1-3 months. The recommended is to have a HIV antibodies test at 1 month after exposure and another conclusive test after 3 months. Hope these info help.

nyrvana
22-05-2008, 09:15 AM
hey bros, last tuesday i just went for the test , its negative, seems like they are using a different test strip now(what i read from some bros thread seems to be describing a different version), the test strip now has 2 results box, one is the control line, the other box is for the 2 lines.

control line-------------2 line box-----------area where u drip ur blood onto

above is a diagram of the test strip, the blood will flow down to the control line there to prove that it is working. at first i go inside the room then mind very stressed and confused then notice the 2 line box already got 2 faint lines but i think they are pre-printed lines, can any bros confirm? just still feeling scared although tested negative haha, oh yeah btw, the control line(with my blood) is very dark and obvious compared to the 2 line box

powersonic2000
22-05-2008, 09:50 AM
It's scary to go for HIV testing. It's even more scary waiting for the result. I went thru' all this myself. The Annoynmous HIV Testing by AFA is accurate. So don't scare yourself. Take note of the windows period 1-3 mths. The HIV test at 1 mth after exposure is significant. And another conclusive test at 3 mths.

AfA_hmor
22-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Actually, all of you don't need to worry about the test strip and reading from the test strip properly. That's AfA's job.

Your 'job' is just to bonk safely, bonk responsibly, don't catch HIV or STIs can already. Don't need to drive yourself crazy trying to read the test strip or get panaroid over all sorts of things. Seriously, the way to go about this is to be abit 'moderate', don't become until don't care at all, but also don't need to care so much until every little detail also you want to go and think about.

coolfire69
22-05-2008, 11:29 PM
It's scary to go for HIV testing. It's even more scary waiting for the result. I went thru' all this myself. The Annoynmous HIV Testing by AFA is accurate. So don't scare yourself. Take note of the windows period 1-3 mths. The HIV test at 1 mth after exposure is significant. And another conclusive test at 3 mths.

Don't worry bro, I'm sure alot of bros on here also went thru this themselves... But it sure is worthwhile after one has found out that he is -ve... ;)

peanut123
23-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Actually, all of you don't need to worry about the test strip and reading from the test strip properly. That's AfA's job.

Well, AFA should teach some of its counsellors not to scare the patient. I kenna one who started with a long description of how the strip works, instead of telling me first if the result was negative or positive. That really scared the shit out of me coz I thought he was getting me ready for the bad news. Luckily, it was negative. Damn it, scared me shitless.

So now I quickly glance at the strip and know the result before the counselor start talking crap and scaring me again.

AfA_hmor
23-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks you very much for your feedback. Your complaint has been forwarded. Perhaps you would like to provide more details of your incident (date, time, etc) and your counsellor, that would be helpful to us.

trubillet
23-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi to all bros,

I have 1 personal incident to share to all bros here. I actually went for HIV/Syphillis test on 3rd May 08. It was a sat afternoon. Everything went on smoothly until i went into the testing room itself. Here is the thing, when i went into the room 14, i sat down and saw all the new needles(lancet) on the table,the guy clean my finger with the cotton wool with alcohol, then he just take one of the needle(lancet) on the table and when he place the lancet on my finger and pressed against my finger, i did not hear a CLICK sound & of course i did not feel that my finger was pricked & when i looked at my finger, there was no blood. He then threw the lancet into the bin & took another lancet & this time it work and my blood sample was sucessfully taken onto the test strip. VERY VERY STUPID ME THAT I DID NOT ASK HIM WHAT HAPPEN TO THE 1ST LANCET!!!!!!!!.

My test result was negative BUT because of this incident i was FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worrying about whether the lancet was a USED lancet OR it was just a FAULTY LANCET!!!!! Because of this i actually contacted the person in charge of the AFA Anonymous Test Site. He assured me that ALL the lancet are NEVER REUSED!! It could be a faulty one. and they follow strict
regulation by the MOH. SO, he said be fair to AFA and my worries are not warranted. I also asked my doctor friend about this incident & he said that AFA is a reputable organization & have been around for 20YRS liao. ABSOLUTELY NO WORRY AND NO FURTHER TESTING NEEDED DUE TO THIS INCIDENT!!!.

Bro AFA humor, you seem to be from the AFA. Could you enlighten me on this incident PLEASE!! i know i might be splitting hairs, worrying for nothing BUT i just need ASSURANCE on these. Thanks.

AfA_hmor
24-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Your fears are unfounded. Lancets are never reused. After each use, they go directly into the bin and are discarded.

hkartadi
27-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I have done the test on Saturday 4.5 weeks after few protected vaginal exposure with FLs in Batam.
The result is negative.

But one think that I want to know is the ELISA generation that they use. Any bro here can give info what generation Abbott determine rapid test is?

Looks like it is not a combo (Ag/Ab) test.

spiderwick214
09-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Can anyone help answer my questions..I went to AFA recently and had a HIV Rapid Test after 5 months of possible exposure and it was NEGATIVE but the result came out less than 10 minutes.

1) I am worried because the result really came out so fast which should be usually out within 20 minutes, is it conclusive? Is it possible that you can get the result from a Rapid Test in less than 10minutes? Can i say that its FINAL?

2) If the result is POSITIVE, how does the patient line bar appear? Does it appear together with the control line bar? or will appear after the control line bar for quite some time?

3) And about those volunteers from AFA, are they really committed to their work? Don't they do such nasty things like infecting the clients with the virus? Can we trust them?

Please help, I'm going nuts. Thank you in advance. Looking forward on your answers.

Michael Tan

easybaby
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Quoting from Afa:
Your finger will be pricked to get a few drops of blood for the HIV-antibody test strip.
Nearly everyone who is infected with HIV (99%) will have antibodies detected by 3 months after infection.
However, currently used antibody tests are more sensitive than those used in the past.
Most people will develop detectable antibodies by 30 days after infection with HIV.

-------------------

When there's presence of HIV in your blood, your body will produce antibodies against it.

This test strip contains compounds that can specifically identify these antibodies produced by your body. They will bind to only these specific antibodies (sort of "trap" these antibodies to the test strip).

Other impurities in your blood that don't bind will be washed away.

A chemical test will then be done on the strip to detect the presence of the HIV-antibodies.

I believe that the procedure is faster now because they may have produced compounds that bind better to the HIV-antibodies. So waiting time is reduced.

-----------------------

Needles are disposable and not reused.

I haven't seen the test strip, but if there's two bars, one of them is probably to ensure that the test strip is working, while the other tests for HIV-antibodies.

See it this way,

Rapid test result = Negative = you don't have HIV. However, it's still better that you go for tests every three months if you suspect that you have HIV, because for some people it takes more than 3 months for the detectable antibodies to be present in their blood. You must take into account of the window period.

Rapid test result = Positive = possibility of HIV, because there are antibodies that can bind to the test strip. Under this circumstance, further tests must be done, to confirm if the antibodies that bound to the test strip are HIV-antibodies. An example of a further test is to determine the size of the protein antibody to see if it corresponds to that of the HIV-antibody.

---------------

Got this from wiki: HIV test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_test)

ELISA

The ELISA test, or the enzyme immunoassay (EIA), was the first screening test commonly employed for HIV. It has a high sensitivity.

In an ELISA test, a person's serum is diluted 400-fold and applied to a plate to which HIV antigens have been attached. If antibodies to HIV are present in the serum, they may bind to these HIV antigens. The plate is then washed to remove all other components of the serum. A specially prepared "secondary antibody" — an antibody that binds to human antibodies — is then applied to the plate, followed by another wash. This secondary antibody is chemically linked in advance to an enzyme. Thus the plate will contain enzyme in proportion to the amount of secondary antibody bound to the plate. A substrate for the enzyme is applied, and catalysis by the enzyme leads to a change in color or fluorescence. ELISA results are reported as a number; the most controversial aspect of this test is determining the "cut-off" point between a positive and negative result.

----------------

Whatever it is, it's still the best to practise safe sex, wear your condom properly and avoid exposure to vaginal secretions.