PDA

View Full Version : Smoking ban in thailand starts 17Feb08

Rub&Buah
24-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Thailand will ban smokers from lighting up in bars, restaurants and open-air markets across the kingdom in a bid to curb smoking, the public health ministry said Friday.
The ban will take effect on February 11 and smokers violating the regulation will be fined 2,000 baht (60 dollars) with night club and restaurant owners facing a 20,000 baht fine, a health ministry official said.
Thailand already bans smoking at public places such as government buildings, train stations and hospitals.
Hathai Chitanondh, who heads the anti-smoking NGO National Health Foundation, said he would lobby the government to expand the smoking ban to public beaches.
"Thailand is a leading country in this region to aggressively fight against smoking. We have reduced the number of smokers to around 9.4 million" of the 65 million population, Hathai told AFP.
In addition to banning smoking in Bangkok's bars and nightclubs, the new regulation will also prevent people from lighting up in the popular Chatuchak market, the city's biggest outdoor market and a major tourist draw, he said.
Although Thailand was long a holdout for smokers, Pavornwan Koonmongkon, president of the 70,000-member Thai Restaurant Association, said she believed the ban would face little resistance.
"Smokers usually cooperate and respect no-smoking rules. This shouldn't cause any problems. I think it's a sign of the success of the government's campaign to raise public awareness about smoking," she said. — AFP Thailand will ban smokers from lighting up in bars, restaurants and open-air markets across the kingdom in a bid to curb smoking, the public health ministry said Friday.

Rub&Buah
24-01-2008, 05:52 AM
The 1st things that came to my mind 1st upon discovering the smoking ban was---Follow singapore style liao!

ShiT!I cant smoke in the disco & club & my fav agogo bars when i go thailand next time again anymore.

Initially the ban only apply to airconditioned restruant & pub now they ammended to 'all airconditioned entertainment venues'.

Next time go mp/soapy view gals also cannot smoke or maybe even in the room after f*ck also cannot liao.Best!

Share your views bros!

sibaysong4u
24-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Next time go mp/soapy view gals also cannot smoke or maybe even in the room after f*ck also cannot liao.Best!

Neber mind, inside the room U can let the girl smoke yr cigar:D

<<<SUCHINDA>>>
24-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I dun think they wil enforce strictly la......also they will have smoking rooms...

norice
24-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Hello,

Thank goodness for that law, but how are they going to enforce it? As you know, prostitution is illegal in Thailand! Is Cigars included in the law, to me, cigar smoke is worst than cigarette smoke!

Now if they enforce the law and everyone is in compliance, I shall start going to Thermae!

blursam
24-01-2008, 02:46 PM
hmmm.....like Singapore ? May not be too bad an idea....as all the puyings will need to be outside the pub/disco/bar to smoke.....can go out and see all of them clearly at the same time.....just like what is happening in Singapore. We can now see, compare ans choose ! :D

adidas88
24-01-2008, 03:29 PM
no worries ...

culture in thailand ...
NATO ... No Action Talk Only ...

probably it will be enforce strictly in the early stage ..
but after a while ... it will died off ....

this is thailand ... not sillypore ....

84gunner
25-01-2008, 04:49 AM
to me, cigar smoke is worst than cigarette smoke!

hash/weed lagi worse!

theUnforgotten
25-01-2008, 07:51 AM
hash/weed lagi worse!

But It's legal only where u are! Then u get high even from da 2nd hand smoke! hehe

XiaoHoUzi83
25-01-2008, 12:01 PM
even in sillypore it dies off sometimes..
remember the seat belt ruling?

yinyang
25-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Honestly, the writing was always on the wall (even for LOS) in tandem with many countries, even HK. Reality bites, and maybe the timing surprised us (was there any pre-warning notice like 1 year or months ahead?).

Smokers are hardy and resilient types, we adjust. Recall ban in some europe places some years back, and we braved freezing weather outside bars to enjoy life's simple (err, sinful) pleasures. :o

Maybe something positive out of this: we can now see the puyings more clearly (acne and other imperfections) minus the smoke cover?:p

norice
25-01-2008, 04:04 PM
84gunner,

During my first two trips to Bangkok, I did smoke some weed. If you want some weed, ask Nana Hotel's bellboys or resident taxi drivers. In those days, I didn't know about severe punishment for illegal drugs in Thailand. Now, I will never touch drugs in Thailand!

About 6 years ago, I did barfine a very cute girl in pattaya and she smoked yaba front of me in her apartment, I was just curious how they do it, the procedure of smoking yaba is labor intensive and unusual! she asked me if I wanted to try, of course I said NO!