PDA

View Full Version : History of Gelyang, KS, Petain, CV.

unholymonk
29-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi any brothers know how long all these places have been. Got a surprised when one bro say he visited Petain 15 years ago... Was the Ang-Pai very young and pretty then (unlike now most old and ugly)?

pokeman71
29-05-2007, 08:25 PM
think you miss out two place;

- banana leg(which is jalan basah.
- desker road

cheer

sibaysong4u
29-05-2007, 08:45 PM
And JOHOR Road too!!!

unholymonk
29-05-2007, 08:51 PM
banana road and johore road... Never hear before maybe i too young. Any description of them?

siokan
29-05-2007, 09:31 PM
think you miss out two place;

- banana leg(which is jalan basah.
- desker road

cheer

banana leg is actually petain rd.Visit that place 20 years ago...sometime in 1987. Mostly malaysians, and some of them is still operating there.Mostly cantonese speaking.At night , there are a few tables gambling "dice" and also si ki puay.

unholymonk
29-05-2007, 09:58 PM
how was the rate then?

dickrick
30-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Okay far as I can remember and have been told:
Geylang would have started in the 60s but the place was more well known for bars back then. Also famous then was the Dandut style clubs around Lorong 4 (I think) where you paid to dance with juicy minahs.The second floor of the shophouses and some nearby apartments provided the ST rooms.
Petain Road or banana leg - started in the 80s. The original Petain Road was a single row of houses closer to Serangoon Road.
Desker Road - I'm told, started just after the Second World War (replacing Middle Road). This was the Geylang of the 60s. Each and every house in the back lane had 4 to 6 ladies. A far cry from today.
Johore Road - the poor cousin of Bugis Street it was more famous for trans. You could get women too. Prices as low as $8 for a shot back in the 70s.
Keong Siak - I'm told again from just after the war. An offshoot of the bars that lined Anson Road.
Lastly, yes plenty of Ang-Pais in these places. Don't forget, these were the only places they could sell themselves back then.
The prostitution trade relied on sea men for the big bucks, so most had their roots in areas where the harbour was nearby. Hence Tanjong Rhu, Clifford Pier, Anson Road and the lower end of Geylang had plenty of bars to pick up girls and of course screws! :)
Hope you guys enjoyed that!

CoolBlack
30-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Bravo! Many thanks.....a good history lesson. :D

Malaysian Datuk
01-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Flashback to yesteryears....history as i remembered it......Okay far as I can remember and have been told:
Geylang would have started in the 60s but the place was more well known for bars back then. Also famous then was the Dandut style clubs around Lorong 4 (I think) where you paid to dance with juicy minahs.The second floor of the shophouses and some nearby apartments provided the ST rooms. those were the days of Datoh Rajah and Chan Mali Chan at the Gay World (pun intended) Stadium. After hours also got many pros hanging around in the dark.....and in the back alleys (this was before the legal houses came out), the Thai pros would be at the bottom of the spiral staircases of the 3 storey houses separated by foldable metal gate. Once a deal is struck then go upstairs where rooms are with common bathroom. Along the alleys were pushcarts selling food & drinks adding to the carnival atmosphere.
Petain Road or banana leg - started in the 80s. The original Petain Road was a single row of houses closer to Serangoon Road. Remember there were 2 alleys and some attap houses but now all gone....highlight back then was the $1 matchstick where you go in to dark room light a match and see the naked WL until the matchstick flames go out....
Desker Road - I'm told, started just after the Second World War (replacing Middle Road). This was the Geylang of the 60s. Each and every house in the back lane had 4 to 6 ladies. A far cry from today. Back then had 3 sections starting all the way from Upper Weld Road where the big python in the cage marks the beginning....all the way to Syed Alwi Road.....must visit every weekends, like a pasar malam. Got medicine men, gambling stalls, the works....this was before the trannies invasion.
Johore Road - the poor cousin of Bugis Street it was more famous for trans. You could get women too. Prices as low as $8 for a shot back in the 70s. jam packed every night where trannies go stand under that magical big tree in the 'courtyard' and customers all crowd round.....the alley behind is old pros alley.
Keong Siak - I'm told again from just after the war. An offshoot of the bars that lined Anson Road. used to be exclusive chinese rich man playground......End of Pasoh is where gambling dens were.