PDA

View Full Version : ICA officers crack one of the largest sham marriage cases

yamashikata
11-02-2018, 01:46 PM
SINGAPORE: A sham marriage syndicate that orchestrated the unions of Singaporean men with Vietnamese nationals pulled out all the stops to hide its illegal activities.

The syndicate flew the men to Vietnam for a wedding photo shoot, got them to officially change their addresses to that of a “marital home” and, in some instances, got the men to receive their brides at the airport.

But its elaborate tactics came to nothing when the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) uncovered the six sham marriages it organised. Officers arrested syndicate members between July and December last year.
Revealing details on the case, which was among those that drove up the number of sham marriages in Singapore last year, ICA said that attempts to make the unions look genuine were more elaborate and extensive than the typical case.

The sheer number of people involved in the offences and the effort that went into concealing the marriages set the case apart from others, said Superintendent (Supt) S Maran, ICA’s deputy director of the enforcement division, during a media briefing on Friday (Feb 9).

Fourteen people - seven men and seven women - were involved. Of them, 10, including three of four arrangers, Adrian Kin, Wong Kean Mun and Ho Thi Be Ba, have been convicted.

Court proceedings are ongoing for two more, while one Vietnamese national has been repatriated for unrelated offences, and her fellow countrywoman left Singapore before investigations started. In a typical case, there are two parties, and maybe a marriage agent involved, Supt Maran said.

“They are always coming up with innovative ways and means to show they are genuine, so our work is getting more difficult by the day, to crack such cases, to be able to prove that this is not a genuine marriage,” he added.
Sham marriages, or marriages of convenience, involve using marriage to help foreigners enter Singapore or extend their stay here. The act was criminalised in 2012.

THE TRANSACTIONS: HOW THE SHAM MARRIAGES WORKED

The lead investigators involved in the case, Deputy Superintendent Liew Shi Xiong and Assistant Superintendent Muhammad Izzat Abdul Rahman, said that the grooms, who were in financial difficulties, were offered between S$3,000 and S$5,000 to get married, and between S$100 and S$300 for every successful extension of stay.

Tourists from Vietnam typically get to stay in Singapore for a month upon entry.

The women, who were discovered to be involved in vice-related activities, each paid arrangers about S$20,000 to set the arrangements in motion. After getting married, three of the couples stayed at this same Balestier address, harboured illegally by Ho, one of the arrangers.

“The husbands of these four brides, they changed their address on their NRIC to reflect the same address as their brides so that when the authorities check, they can say ‘I am staying at this place, this is my address’ as some sort of proof,” said ASP Izzat.

Previously, one sign that roused suspicion that a marriage was a sham was the couples living apart.

The men in the syndicate were either friends or ex-colleagues from an interior design firm, the officers added. They said that typically, family members would not even know that the offender got married.

AN APPEAL THAT SET INVESTIGATIONS IN MOTION

It all started after ICA received an appeal against the repatriation of a Vietnamese national from her Singaporean husband. She had been caught for working without a permit twice, and was therefore being repatriated. That appeal, and the authority’s investigation into it, are what set the wheels in motion.

Officers found the case suspicious, discovered she was in a marriage of convenience, and delved deeper, eventually catching on to the five other couples who were similarly married.

In the absence of hard evidence like travel documents that can be used in other types of immigration offences, marriage of convenience offences require innovative investigation methods, officers said. They were unable to reveal details of their investigations so as not to tip off other potential offenders.

“Our officers had to painstakingly go through a tedious interview process, and use other supporting evidence to be able to find that there was a link, to connect the dots,” Supt Maran said.

yamashikata
11-02-2018, 02:03 PM
https://static.straitstimes.com.sg/sites/default/files/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2018/02/11/icsham1102.jpg?itok=7fsV7IpX

https://static.straitstimes.com.sg/sites/default/files/articles/2018/02/11/marriage-online.jpg

Tuanehkia
11-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Lol! Tip of the ice berg. I can see some PRC laughing at ICA

GR888
11-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Key question is not how many got caught... but how many have gotten away.

conquer
11-02-2018, 06:07 PM
The lead investigators involved in the case, Deputy Superintendent Liew Shi Xiong and Assistant Superintendent Muhammad Izzat Abdul Rahman, said that the grooms, who were in financial difficulties, were offered between S$3,000 and S$5,000 to get married, and between S$100 and S$300 for every successful extension of stay.

One PRC hooker who I used to fuck regularly told me she paid like $10K to "marry" with a local dude. I guess the price varies as according to nationalities as well... :p

conquer
11-02-2018, 06:11 PM

It's very difficult to catch nia...

These are only six cases and the ICA has already bragged that this is one of the largest syndicates they have cracked. :o

Tuanehkia
11-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Those who come out talk cock one won’t say they have small dicks. Lol! Machiam talk like SG got bigger dick than black.

Lol!

chaoturtle
12-02-2018, 01:48 AM
One PRC hooker who I used to fuck regularly told me she paid like $10K to "marry" with a local dude. I guess the price varies as according to nationalities as well... :p

If she have $10k, won’t she stay in China rather than coming to sg to work?

purepulp
12-02-2018, 01:01 PM

If a FL meets on average 3 clients a day, charge $100 per client and works 6 days a week, she will make 3 clients x $100 x 6 days = $1,800 a week.

In a year, there are 52 weeks, less 12 weeks for that-time-of-the-month and that gives you 40 weeks. 40 weeks x $1,800 = $72,000. That's how much she makes in 1 year conservatively.

$10,000 is peanuts… ;)

chaoturtle
12-02-2018, 01:22 PM
If a FL meets on average 3 clients a day, charge $100 per client and works 6 days a week, she will make 3 clients x $100 x 6 days = $1,800 a week.

In a year, there are 52 weeks, less 12 weeks for that-time-of-the-month and that gives you 40 weeks. 40 weeks x $1,800 = $72,000. That's how much she makes in 1 year conservatively.

$10,000 is peanuts… ;)

👍👍

Thanks for clarifying

KelongPresident
12-02-2018, 02:15 PM

Definitely sure laughing at ICA . So easy to get entry into Singapore .

Megawati
12-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Definitely sure laughing at ICA . So easy to get entry into Singapore .

Agree with you . So easy .

conquer
13-02-2018, 02:20 AM

Well, nowadays the rate of the PRC chickens is sky rocketing. A descent looking one costs at least $150-200. Ten thousand dollars is not a big amount for them, one can simply earn it in within one week time. :o

Summerhillt
13-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Fuck ica useless, i know of a lawyer himself mastering vietnames sham marriage. even set up a restaurant in novena

jacky43
13-02-2018, 02:02 PM
In the long run born local men into such arrangement lose out. After the marriage call off the wife is allow to claim her hubby HDB flats. If he is into biz she can also force him to sell it off and divide the $ btw them.

Is not worth it. I heard of cases where the man pass away and, the wife turn up to claim his CPF $ and proceed after selling off the flat, where the wife has never stay in through out the yrs of marriage.

I urged ICA and ROM to tick off born local guys who marry foreign wives. Even it the marriage is real.

starmind
13-02-2018, 08:15 PM
For $3000.00 to $5000.00 is really not worth it . Someone you will be very famous . Next time should charge above $100 000.00 . There is more than meet the eyes here .

afterburn
13-02-2018, 10:19 PM
For $3000.00 to $5000.00 is really not worth it . Someone you will be very famous . Next time should charge above $100 000.00 . There is more than meet the eyes here .

The women are involved in vice. Maybe 3k to 5k, and throw in regular free fucks into the deal. Though looking at the women's photos ... errrr ...

afterburn
13-02-2018, 10:27 PM

The other day i got a hj+roam from a viet ML for $40. When i was signing in at the counter, i saw her name written there total 4, 5 times already indicating the number of jobs. End of working day. Office hours earnings. And a milf, not syt.

Leave it to your imagination how much they can potentially earn here. Salary + extras.

EmlynHughes
14-02-2018, 08:37 PM

$10,000 is peanuts… ;)

$10,000 is micro peanuts .... peanuts is around $600,000 according to Mrs Emeritus Goh

yy0202
16-02-2018, 01:17 AM
In the long run born local men into such arrangement lose out. After the marriage call off the wife is allow to claim her hubby HDB flats. If he is into biz she can also force him to sell it off and divide the $ btw them.

Is not worth it. I heard of cases where the man pass away and, the wife turn up to claim his CPF $ and proceed after selling off the flat, where the wife has never stay in through out the yrs of marriage.

I urged ICA and ROM to tick off born local guys who marry foreign wives. Even it the marriage is real.

Well, local girls are marrying foreign guys too... Not all marriages are based on money or properties. I urged that you use your brain before commenting.

deathblade
16-02-2018, 05:20 PM
These men may be in some financial difficulty or maybe it's just folly on their part to take such a paltry sum for the risks involved.

I would prefer ICA not to make sweeping generalization of foreign brides though. I know of folks in genuine marriages and they have difficulty getting their PR/citizenships.

yamashikata
26-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Really ? How come i ask all my ktv and FL contacts, but all got no friends wan to do fake marriage ?