PDA

View Full Version : Chitchat Industry professionals weigh in on Shrey’s ‘Ah Boys to Men’ audition experie

Sammyboy RSS Feed
03-06-2017, 05:00 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Shrey Bharvaga’s Facebook post about his experiences auditioning for “Ah Boys to Men 4” have drawn widespread responses from Xiaxue and other influencers.

He was even questioned by the police on Wednesday (31 May) regarding his post after police reports were made.

But from an industry standpoint, how does his experience stack up? We spoke to several actors and directors to get an idea of what auditions are like from different perspectives.

All part of the job

“The casting director is just doing what he needs to do,” said actor Fir Rahman. “Why would you feel offended, stereotyped? It’s not a serious role.”

“I wouldn’t be offended if you asked me to speak with a particular Malay accent, like how Singaporean Malays would speak. Myself, I would speak very colloquial Malay. I’m not offended by that. I’m proud of it. That makes us special, Singaporean Malays.”

The 36-year-old Malay star of “Apprentice” and “Lion Moms” went on to explain that in the audition process, actors are sometimes required to do a variety of performances so that the production crew can assess their suitability in the role.

“If I’m asked to jump down from the second floor for casting, as long as all the safety aspects are covered, like a safety mat and harness, then I’ll jump. They just want to see how I jump.”

However, he drew the line at requests that would go against religion and ethics.

“Of course, you don’t do what’s against your religion or against something that’s not right. Like if you ask me to eat pork [for an audition], as a Muslim, I won’t.”

More at Industry professionals weigh in on Shrey’s ‘Ah Boys to Men’ audition experience (https://sg.yahoo.com/style/industry-professionals-weigh-shreys-ah-boys-men-audition-experience-091818612.html)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (https://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?244081-Industry-professionals-weigh-in-on-Shrey’s-‘Ah-Boys-to-Men’-audition-experience&goto=newpost).