PDA

View Full Version : Chitchat Am I a closet racist?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
22-04-2017, 09:20 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

I have many Mainland Chinese, Malaysian Malays, Singapore and India indians friends. A few Japanese, Korean blokes and a handful of Angmohs too. Somehow, when I am mingling with them, my racism side of me doesn't surface. I enjoy their company and they enjoy mine. We dine and party like good friends, oblivious to skin colour, ethnic and cultural differences and embrace the diversity in our mix.

But deep in me, I dislike the loud talking Mainland Chinese or Singapore and India Indians when I encounter them in public places, like the MRT, shopping malls and even in the neighborhood joints. Screaming on top of their voices on their mobile phones seem to be their favorite pastime, or maybe to satisfy their need to feel important to the general public.

The Angmohs irritate me too. Their sheer arrogance colonial superior mentality makes me want to kick their bollocks when I see them talking in a condescending manner towards Singaporeans.

On the other hand, the Malays, Japanese and Koreans do not really irritate me that much and I am not sure why.

I am wondering why? Am I a closet racist? Why are there conflicting reactions in me? Am I stereotyping skin colour to behaviour that result in this reaction in me? Maybe the Malays, Japanese and Koreans are generally well behaved and mindful of their public conduct, thus I am generally ok with them.

Why am I not able to find a consistent principle to this latent racism in me?

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (https://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?242963-Am-I-a-closet-racist&goto=newpost).