PDA

View Full Version : Chitchat What I learnt from Nathan - My story

Sammyboy RSS Feed
25-08-2016, 02:50 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Since the press is doing all these stories and many untrue such as voting for him etc and some though genuine does not seem to show the man in better light than the average Singaporean, I thought I better throw in my story as well. Feel free to contribute your story.

Quote:
In the early 1970s, the family's pineapple plantation was hit with a blight. My father the sole breadwinner had never seen the fruits in such a condition before. His was the only pineapple plantation in Pulau Ubin and therefore was lost on who to consult. No one in Ubin could throw any light why the pineapples were glowing the dark. If we could not harvest the crop that year, the family would not be able to feed itself and debts from previous years had to be paid. As the eldest, my father told me his best hope is to seek the help of an rotund Indian gentleman who would may find an answer. He told me to take the sampan and head to Changi and meet up with Ah Ter who could be found in the Taxi Association kiosk at Changi point.

The moment Ah Ter saw he asked me if it was about the "Nanas" I was taken by surprise as he seemed to know about the situation. He told me to take Bus No.2 and head to New Bridge Road. I got off at the designated bus-stop and made my way thru temple street to An Siang Hill. I entered a shop house the number for which was provided by Ah Ter on a piece of paper. Lo and behold there was a rotund Indian gentleman seated behind a table. He saw me an beckoned me over. As I reached the table he told me he is aware of the glowing pineapples and asked me what I have done for the family. I did not expect that question and froze temporarily with my mouth open. he then began shuffling some papers on the desk and seemed to be preoccupied. I then said that I helped when I could. Immediately he looked up and told me that I could go. I was stunned and shocked at the same time. Words deserted me. I without even realising turned and walked out. It was only when Bus No. 2 was reaching Changi point that I realised that I had subconsciously headed to the bus-stop and boarded it, all the while lost in thought.

I took the sampan and rowed back to Ubin. Half way in the straits, it then dawned me that responsibility on my part was missing. I reached home and told my father what happened and the lesson that I learnt. That night I went with my father for the first time to see the pineapples. It was not glowing. My father however said he clearly can see it glowing. I then realised that moonlight hitting the sea behind the rows of pineapples might have created an effect to his elderly eyes. The next morning I took my father to clinic in Changi and the found cataracts in both eyes.

Till today I tell my my friends and family about the rotund Indian gentleman that changed my World and taught me the meaning of responsibility. When he became President I sent him a big basket of pineapples and ever the gracious gentleman he sent a handwritten note of thanks. When we meet at odd occasions, he will call out "Nanas" and we would have a chat. The World has lost an exceptional person.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?234832-What-I-learnt-from-Nathan-My-story&goto=newpost).