PDA

View Full Version : Chitchat S'pore Star "sweeps past" 43 yr old mother of Two in Olympics.

Sammyboy RSS Feed
10-08-2016, 05:50 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

You got to give our SPH prostitutes credit for how they can slant stories to give an impression that is so far from the truth.

What the story does not mention is that she swept pass a 43 year old mother of two who is representing Australia in her 5th olympics. When Joseph Schooling came last in the semi finals, the word "last" did not appear. If we can even tell the truth to Singaporeans in Sports what hope do we have when it comes serious and matters of national importance.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/ol...roundOlympics: (http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/olympics-yu-mengyu-sweeps-past-australias-lay-jian-fang-to-make-singles-fourth-roundOlympics:)

Yu Mengyu sweeps past Australia's Lay Jian Fang to make table tennis singles fourth round

Yu Mengyu of Singapore plays against Jian Fang Lay of Australia.PHOTO: REUTERS
PUBLISHEDAUG 8, 2016, 7:13 AM SGT

May Chen
Rio de Janeiro - Singapore paddler Yu Mengyu had been warned by team-mate that the Olympics are a different ball game altogether, that the pressure was on another level and she could find her limbs trembling.

So she ensured she made ample preparation - for the strong lighting, the raucous crowd and the atmosphere of her Olympic debut.

The world No. 13 did not disappoint, sweeping past Australia's Lay Jian Fang 11-9, 11-9, 11-6, 12-10 on Sunday night (Brazil time) to make the fourth round of the women's singles. Yu will play South Korean left-hander Jeon Ji Hee on Monday.

Said Yu: "All four tables had matches going on and the spectators were quite loud, but I think I handled the atmosphere pretty well. My opponent is someone who has already got the rhythm from playing two matches before this while I'm playing my first match, so I think I adjusted quite well."

As the ninth seed, Yu was given a bye to the third round.

ST_20160724_SPTYU24A_2464792.jpg
Despite some stellar moments in Yu Mengyu's career, such as her 2012 win over world No. 1 Liu Shiwen, the China-born player has endured an agonisingly long wait to make her Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro.
Related Story
Olympics: The world is now Yu Mengyu's stage when it comes to table tennis

The Singaporean was playing next to the table where Japan's Kasumi Ishikawa and North Korea's Kim Song I were duelling. The Japan No. 4 seed, a potential opponent in the later stages for Yu, was upset 3-4.

olympics-tags-page.png

Related Story
Follow ST's Olympics microsite and ST's team in Rio

Said Yu: "I just told myself to focus on myself and my match. I'm not thinking too far ahead, I'll just play one match at a time."

Yu brought cheer to the table tennis squad, after Gao Ning exited the competition in his opening match, losing his match against Britain's Paul Drinkhall.

The Singaporean pushed his opponent to the rubber, but eventually lost 7-11 6-11, 11-3, 3-11, 11-9, 11-9, 8-11.

His exit meant the two paddlers fielded by the men's team have both ended their Olympic campaigns.

Singapore's top paddler Feng Tianwei begins her campaign on Monday morning against Luxembourg's Ni Xialian.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?234119-S-pore-Star-quot-sweeps-past-quot-43-yr-old-mother-of-Two-in-Olympics&goto=newpost).