PDA

View Full Version : Crowdfunding

bourboncoke
26-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Came across a link this morning in facebook about the lady who jumped off the overhead bridge last week.

The family is organising a crowdfunding for her medical bills. Got curious and came across a few other links from Singapore for crowdfunding, mainly for medical reasons.

Has anyone ever donated before? Just curious if its safe due to the amount of credit card/paypal fraud recently.

PS: Apologise in advance for posting this here, i couldn't find a suitable sub forum. If you want to find out more about the link and other singaporeans who require monetary assistance for medical reasons, can PM me for the links or if a moderator approves, i can probably post them here.

PPS: no, i am not related to any of them. Just felt that i could put my bonking budget to better use this month and donate to these people and maybe earn some good karma in return.

adonis
26-04-2016, 11:50 PM
Can poor parents crowdfund their daughter's university education? Etc... There's no secure way that any money collected that is over n above the target sum will b pro rated n returned to the donors. Unless overseen by an accountant.

lechlee
27-04-2016, 06:43 AM
I have donated recently to a colleague who went crowdfunding for her 4th stage rare cancer.. But that's because we know her and her circumstances. And we know that what she posted online are true
But if you ask me to do the same for other people, it's a bit tough because we don't know whether the person is speaking the truth wtihout substantial evidence especially whether the person is that poor or single parent etc.
And crowdfunding for education is even worse since there are many of us who might also face similar issue, and what makes that person different from us?

bourboncoke
27-04-2016, 10:48 AM
I have donated recently to a colleague who went crowdfunding for her 4th stage rare cancer.. But that's because we know her and her circumstances. And we know that what she posted online are true
But if you ask me to do the same for other people, it's a bit tough because we don't know whether the person is speaking the truth wtihout substantial evidence especially whether the person is that poor or single parent etc.
And crowdfunding for education is even worse since there are many of us who might also face similar issue, and what makes that person different from us?

Had the same thoughts as well but saw some of the posts with receipts, letters from hospitals uploaded in the photos with their full names, addresses etc.

Of course i'm aware that there might be people who try to pull a fast one, try to be funny about things but i think that's up to individuals to judge if they want to donate.

For the crowdfund you did recently, was the payment secure? I try to refrain from most online payment nowadays but the website i am looking at only accepts paypal.