PDA

View Full Version : Colourism in the Indian community

Sammyboy RSS Feed
17-03-2016, 03:50 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

I'm really weirded out by the colourism in the Indian community.

1) I'm gay and we care less about white skin, but I still don't consider North Indians to be pretty nor do I care about white skin.

2) I don't identify with terms like "desi" and I have no desire to whiten my skin. It feels odd that North Indian culture is so popular in Singapore.

3) I use the term "Indian" primarily for South Indians, and I do not associate Pakistanis with the "Indian" race because they are too distant from us and closer to Middle Easterners.

4) It feels odd because I find Chinese/Whites easier to be friends with than Indians, eventhough I'm Indian myself. I find it really racist and alienating.

Growing up in the west, I've never come across those South Indians who watch Kollywood or obsess over white skin. We always preferred/seeked media starring South Indian people as a way to get into our own race/culture, and being gay I have no desire to associate with North Indians except over things like religion or politics.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?226739-Colourism-in-the-Indian-community&goto=newpost).