PDA

View Full Version : 36-year-old banker who used to earn $300,000 to $400,000 per annum frustrated at labo

Sammyboy RSS Feed
19-02-2016, 03:10 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

36-year-old banker who used to earn $300,000 to $400,000 per annum frustrated at labour policies

First of all, thanks for allowing us to interview you online AJ and can you provide us with some background information on yourself?

i am a 36 year old Singaporean lady and earned my Economics degree and MBA from a top-notched business school. My last drawn was between $300,000 to $400,000 per annum.

What was your last occupation and you have told me that you were unemployed for a few months, can you tell us more about this and also your job search experience?

Been in finance industry (doing the same thing) for 15 years. Unemployed for 18 months. Initially, frustrating and embarrassing. Now more of frustrating and angry (especially after the MOM 2015 statistics).

I must also add that I applied to all government and government related organizations (Temasek, GIC, MAS, Ministry of Finance), and the local banks (OCBC, UOB and DBS) but am faced with repeated rejections or was simply ignored. Not too sure what MAS and Ministry of Finance mean when they say they are looking to develop a strong Singaporean core for the finance industry (and in fact every industry).

You have told me that you are currently jobless for more than six months, what did you do in order to survive? Did you also approach the CDC for assistance?

Giving tuition. Yes I did approach CDC but they rejected me. I am living with my parents and siblings and they told me to rely on their incomes.

Did you attend any interviews during the past few months and why do you think you are unsuccessful so far?

Yes still going for interviews. Length of time out of market (which was technically not my fault because I had been actively looking since 2014). Competition, I reckon.

Tell us abit more about what you have learnt from your jobless experience and how it has impacted your family.

I am actively exploring roles overseas. I used to be an significant contributor to our family’s household living expenses. Now, not only am I not a contributor, I am instead relying on them.

What do you think you could have done to shorten the unemployment period?

Do not know. 6 months into my search, I was already looking for contract roles.

Do you think that Singapore is now a more difficult place to make a living?

Singapore is definitely more attractive to foreigners and hence more competitive. With Chinese increasingly being a language requirement in Hong Kong, anyone with no Chinese language capabilities will pick Singapore as a location to gain Asia work experience. Singapore is also taking steps like bringing in top end restaurants, musicals, art galleries. These make Singapore more attractive for foreigners to live in.

What do you think the government can do to alleviate the current employment situation?

They know what to do. They are making regular statements on what they want and should do. Perhaps it is time to put them into execution mode. For a start, maybe start practicing Fair Consideration?

Many people have blame foreigners for competing jobs with us, what is your view on this?

As above.

Lastly, whats your advice for those who are still jobless and feeling down?

Keep moving forward.

End of interview
- See more at: http://www.transitioning.org/2016/02....qse53QTU.dpuf (http://www.transitioning.org/2016/02/18/36-year-old-banker-who-used-to-earn-300000-to-400000-per-annum-frustrated-at-labour-policies/#sthash.qse53QTU.dpuf)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?225341-36-year-old-banker-who-used-to-earn-300-000-to-400-000-per-annum-frustrated-at-labo&goto=newpost).