PDA

View Full Version : Credit-for-sex scam went up by 1,723 per cent

iceage
12-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Credit-for-sex scam went up by 1,723 per cent - from 66 cases in 2014 to 1,203 cases last year.

The scams involve men being asked by seemingly attractive women on social media platforms to buy gift cards and online credits for sexual services, which the men do not get.

The total amount cheated was about $2.9 million, with the largest amount at about $74,000.

Internet love scams went up by 93 per cent, and total sum cheated was about $12 million.

Police said credit-for-sex scams are carried out by foreign syndicates. The victims are mostly men, aged between 20 and 39.

Victims of Internet love scams are mostly women, and aged between 30 and 60.

In such cases, money is usually not recovered.

The police added that it has worked with its foreign counterparts to crackdown on syndicates targeting Singaporeans. In particular, it worked with the China authorities in an eight-month crime investigation to crack down on a syndicate in China.

In the first half of 2015, it received some 627 police reports for Alipay credit-for-sex scams, resulting in a loss of $1.6 million.

They arrested 43 people after the crackdown, resulting in a drop in the number of cases.

It has also worked with Interpol and the Philippines police in the past to deal with cyber extortion cases.

Mr David Chew, director for Commercial Affairs Department, said: "Singapore is a target because we have a wonderful infrastructure for the Internet.

"As online fraud transcends national boundaries, the Police have been working closely with foreign law enforcement agencies to take action against overseas syndicates.

"Similarly, the Police will also investigate and prosecute local residents who are found to be either perpetrating an online scam or facilitating foreign syndicates in their criminal activities."

He added that Singaporeans should also take steps to protect themselves against online crime.

hitler
12-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Many think using smaller head, what to do? :confused:

iceage
12-02-2016, 11:59 PM
Many think using smaller head, what to do? :confused:

Best that we can do is continue to highlight to raise awareness.

ExBro
13-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Always COD or best find a regular GF or FB loh....

Pics mostly fake de lah!

See my points? Same as last 3 digits of AMK south NPC...and most NPC in sg also... Keke!

Or simply dial 999...

HonkyTonkyMan
13-02-2016, 11:18 AM
I wonder why in this time and age there are still people getting conned and these are not just ah peks but some are relatively young in their 20s. You would expect them to be at least well informed and tech sauvy.

Naka_Timo
13-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Never trust all this. Saw a lot of place have the scam alert warning.

TS nice share in creating the awareness.

HeadOn
13-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Such scam doesn't need capital so scammers just wait. Such scam will always succeed because pple operating it are usually guys. N beings guys they know there are guys who are addicted to sex n no sex to them is like no life. This type of guys will always be easy target

hakone
13-02-2016, 04:24 PM
"The victims are mostly men, aged between 20 and 39." What were they thinking?

Harvest
13-02-2016, 07:39 PM

They were thinking "Let's try my luck, just like buying 4D/Toto...who knows I've really struck a good deal!"

It is a gambling mentality. ;)

afterburn
13-02-2016, 08:57 PM

Seem to be lower education group or non-english speaking group?

They have to depend on chinese language ads or look for chinese-speaking FL and we know that's where many of these scams originate.

Still why not just go GL?? Can even see the girl first and choose before bonk.

afterburn
13-02-2016, 09:00 PM
These scams mostly target chinese-speaking group who don't know much english... many of the ads in chinese and scammers are PRC.

altec7
13-02-2016, 10:23 PM
They were thinking "Let's try my luck, just like buying 4D/Toto...who knows I've really struck a good deal!"

It is a gambling mentality. ;)

Which unfortunately ended in a lose-lose situation.
Raising awareness and thinking twice or thrice seem to be the only way to at least reduce such cases :o