PDA

View Full Version : Thaksin sends New Year's wishes, warns on Thai economy

Sammyboy RSS Feed
26-12-2015, 01:00 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Thaksin sends New Year's wishes, warns on economy

http://www.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20151225/c1_806480_620x413.jpg

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra told Thais on Friday to have "the strength to pass obstacles" and warned about the economy, which has been struggling since a 2014 coup.

Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail sentence handed down for graft in 2008, has kept messages to the public to a minimum since the military toppled the remnants of the government of his sister, Yingluck, last year.

"This New Year I want to wish all things holy to my brothers and sisters I want you to have the strength to pass obstacles because next year the economy is not that good for the whole world and for Thailand," Thaksin said in a voice recording posted on son Panthongtae Shinawatra's Facebook page.

"But I believe that with every bad situation there are starting to be opportunities and I want you to see them."

Since seizing power, the government has struggled to revive the export-dependent economy, something some analysts say could prove destabilising for the National Council for Peace and Order.

Despite announcing big-spending on road and railway projects, domestic demand remains weak and record-high household debt is hurting Southeast Asia's second-largest economy.

Thailand's central bank on Friday revised its 2015 GDP growth figure up from 2.7% to 2.8% but said it expects zero growth for Thai exports in 2016.

The military ousted Thaksin in 2006, exacerbating a sharp divide between his supporters and the royalist-military establishment.

More than a decade of on-off political conflict has seen violent street protests from both Thaksin supporters and their opponents.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?222303-Thaksin-sends-New-Year-s-wishes-warns-on-Thai-economy&goto=newpost).