PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning ~ Is it so hard to say when the lift door opens?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
13-12-2015, 11:40 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Good morning to All.

This morning, I woke up at 6am, put on my Nike tights and running top, Asics running shoes, and went for a run. I returned to his apartment block at 7am. Waited for the lift. Lift door opened and a Caucasian stepped out. He said "Good Morning". I returned his morning greetings.

When I am on my travels, whether in my overseas office or hotels, I find that the westerners tend to be more "generous" with their morning greetings when the lift door opens (as compared to the Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Koreans, Middle Easterns and others).

Often, when going down for breakfast at hotel lobby, and if the lift door happens to open on the lower floors, I will greet whoever that comes in "Good morning" too. It is just natural for me to do so.

I simply do not understand why Asians enters the lift, just keep quiet and pretend no one is inside. The worst scenario is when I greeted and a Singaporean couple holidaying in Tokyo, they pretended that I am transparent! So much for whatever courtesy campaigns, gracious behaviours, etc etc.

I don't stay in a HDB flat, so I do not know what is the culture of morning greetings here in Singapore HDB flats ~ especially when we have 40 to 50 storey block of flats, and the lift door is bound to open on the lower floors.

Nonetheless, I guess it is an "errie" silence when someone steps into the lift ~ given the experiences I have encountered with Singaporeans.

Is it that difficult to say "Good morning" for Singaporeans?

Does it cost an arm or a leg to be friendly and polite irrespective of what social class he or she is?

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?221616-Good-Morning-Is-it-so-hard-to-say-when-the-lift-door-opens&goto=newpost).