PDA

View Full Version : how many years should Malaysia imprison Najib for his crimes?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
11-12-2015, 12:40 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

5 yrs?

10 yrs?

Sugai Buloh Prison?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobil...s/2336314.html (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/asiapacific/malaysia-pm-assures/2336314.html)

Malaysia PM assures supporters, challenges critics over corruption allegations
By Melissa Goh, Malaysia Bureau Chief, Channel NewsAsia
POSTED: 10 Dec 2015 20:24 **UPDATED: 10 Dec 2015 21:26

A
A
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak took the bull by the horns on Thursday (Dec 10) as he opened the annual assembly of his ruling party, the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO).

In a sea of red, Mr Najib, who is also UMNO party president, delivered a keynote address, crafted to unite and strengthen his grip on a deeply fractured party.

Speaking before some 5,000 delegates, Mr Najib assured them that the challenges facing debt ridden state investment fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) have almost been resolved with the sales of power assets and planned organisation-wide rationalisation.

He also made the point once again that there was nothing wrong with the more than US$600 million political donations he took receipt of in his personal accounts from Middle East donors.

"What's important is that the money came from overseas and did not come from public funds or from 1MDB,” said Mr Najib. “I am confident that I am on the right side, and the truth will prevail."

Mr Najib also informed his critics that he too has his limits and cannot remain much longer at the receiving end of their allegations.

"I am party president but I am also a human being like you all,” he said. “I have feelings too but I am a gentleman. I am a gentleman. If there is any problem come and see me. Let's sit down and talk."

To his staunchest critic, former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad who has led a year-long campaign to oust him, he reminded him that he was loyal and supportive when his leadership came under challenge in the 1980s.

And to the former deputy prime minister, Mr Muhyiddin Yassin whom he dropped from his cabinet last July, he concluded that enough was enough.

No immediate action was taken against him although Mr Muhyiddin still risks expulsion for openly calling on Mr Najib to step aside till the 1MDB investigation has been concluded.

Analysts however speculate that no action was taken against Muhyiddin yet because Mr Najib is afraid of possible adverse repercussions.

"If he drops Muhyiddin he will be seen equally responsible for splitting UMNO,” said Yang Razali Kassim, senior fellow at the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies. “Everyone will lose if UMNO splits. UMNO may not survive the next general election if it splits."

But Deputy Prime Minister and UMNO vice president Ahmad Zahid Hamidi warned that housekeeping is necessary in order to return strength to the party. "Correction has to be made so that the river will not be murky,” he said. “If it is murky upstream, the water will be murky downstream too."

Mr Muhyiddin who attended the opening of the annual general meeting, looked sombre as he listened to his president. For now he is still the party's number 2 but he is still barred from addressing delegates during a three-day AGM which may be his last.
- CNA/ec

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?221466-how-many-years-should-Malaysia-imprison-Najib-for-his-crimes&goto=newpost).