PDA

View Full Version : Penang Khaw:I will refocus on MRT engineering by appointing my fellow Matlander

Sammyboy RSS Feed
10-10-2015, 03:40 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

who knows nothing about railways, or trains, or mass rapid transit systems to focus on train reliability. Hahahahahaha. What a fucking clown.

New rail transformation advisor named amid 'serious refocus' on engineering
Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan ropes in PUB Chairman Tan Gee Paw - "one of my most respected Singapore engineers" - as Advisor on Rail Transformation.

SINGAPORE: "A serious refocus" is needed in the transport sector - that it is "in the engineering business, founded on strong engineering expertise and capabilities", said Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure Khaw Boon Wan.

To this end, Mr Tan Gee Paw - the Chairman of PUB, Singapore's water agency - has been named Advisor on Rail Transformation, the Transport Minister announced on his blog on Friday (Oct 9). Mr Tan's immediate priority will be to ramp up rail reliability.

It was a challenge Mr Tan - whose team first produced NEWater, helping reduce Singapore's water dependency - readily accepted, the Transport Minister said.

Wrote Mr Khaw: "As soon as I was told of my new posting, Mr Tan was the first individual whom I consulted for advice and suggestion. We discussed the problem of rail disruptions, its possible causes and how we can make rail service as reliable as PUB services. We also discussed the industry structure for bringing about better alignment of incentives.

"We wondered aloud on how we would structure our rail companies, if we were to start afresh."

To improve rail reliability - a subject which Mr Khaw wrote about in a separate blog post on Friday - would require "a serious re-focus on the part of every player that we are in the engineering business, founded on strong engineering expertise and capabilities", he said, citing the Transport Ministry and Land Transport Authority, as well as train operators SMRT and SBS Transit.

Mr Khaw also reiterated his and Mr Tan's belief - and also that of founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew - that Singapore "should be for pedestrians", with a public transport system so convenient and reliable that there would be no need for most to own a car.

He added: "We are no miracle workers, but given political will, clarity of purpose, dogged determination, we are confident that we will arrive at where we want public transport to be. But we need time to bring about this rail (and real) transformation."

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?218019-Penang-Khaw-I-will-refocus-on-MRT-engineering-by-appointing-my-fellow-Matlander&goto=newpost).