PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Predictions for City Harvest Case? Guilty or Not?

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
29-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone! I'm back! LOL

As per all other threads, no trolling and fighting please.

Freedom of opinions can be expressed,
but let's just respect one another's differences.

What's your take on this case,
regardless of whether you are Christian or even a City Harvest member
or otherwise?

In fact, I'm hoping that someone from City Harvest drops by.
Good to hear from insider's POV. :)

Let's go!!! :D

As per my other thread,
the most accurate prediction will get +6 humble points from me.

The verdict will be out on 21 October 2015.

For those totally clueless abt what this is all abt,
u can start with this:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-church/2127968.html

LET THE PREDICTIONS BEGIN!!! :D

LuckyEight
29-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Definitely guilty.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
29-09-2015, 11:45 AM
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/blob/2128086/1442314387000/serina-wee-outside-state-data.jpg

Serina Wee, who described working for the church she loved as a "dream come true”, said that it was never her intention to cause the church to “suffer loss”.

SirLance
29-09-2015, 11:53 AM
I do not believe her or any of the culprits. When times are good, they pocketed so much money. Sure they will not tell the truth.

IF AGC don't have enough evidence, the DPP will not bring the culprits to court.

This is high profile case.

Serina Wee, who described working for the church she loved as a "dream come true”, said that it was never her intention to cause the church to “suffer loss”.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
29-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Definitely guilty.

Hi bro Lucky Eight. Thanks for being the 1st replier!

How guilty do u think they will be?
Let off with a slap in the wrist and fine? Or long jail term?

I do not believe her or any of the culprits. When times are good, they pocketed so much money. Sure they will not tell the truth.

IF AGC don't have enough evidence, the DPP will not bring the culprits to court.

This is high profile case.

Hi bro SirLance thanks for the input.

I know what u mean,
but at the same time I'm comparing this case with
the Central Christian Church case years ago.

Trial was also super high profile,
and in the end, CCC won the case.
Context was different,
but I'm also concerned that after all the big hoo haa,
all of them acquitted.

To be honest,
I would hate to see Serina Wee jailed though.
LOL

Here are more pix of her. :D

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/x_large/public/articles/2015/05/07/ST_20150507_DACITY07_1295912e_2x.jpg?itok=2meEjwzJ

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/attachments/the-lounge/64017d1409288311-serina-wee-2014-stay-tuned-1920303_714894981865448_857084398_n-jpg

ExBro
29-09-2015, 01:27 PM
At least half or all aquitted, or at least Serina n hotwife...lol

Just to be countarian...

I dun really follow the case though

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
29-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Bro ex-bro.

Brief summary for you. :D

http://mothership.sg/2015/09/defence-vs-prosecution-closing-oral-submissions-as-city-harvest-church-trial-reached-140th-day-finale/

http://cdn.mothership.sg/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/serina-wee-end-of-chc-trial.jpg

Defence vs Prosecution: Closing oral submissions as City Harvest Church trial reached 140th day finale

15 September 2015 by Belmont Lay

For and against side-by-side comparisons.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Mavis Chionh did not mince her words in her closing oral submissions on Sept. 14, 2015, for the long-running City Harvest Church trial.

She not only questioned their credibility, but also pointed out their sophistication and slammed each of the six co-accused for distancing themselves from their alleged crimes.

The six accused are: Kong Hee, 50; Tan Ye Peng, 42; Serina Wee, 38; Sharon Tan, 39; John Lam, 47 and Chew Eng Han, 54.

Culled from three sources, we compared the closing oral submissions made by the defence and prosecution.

The last day of the trial is today, Sept. 15, where the defence counsels of the six accused have the opportunity to respond to the prosecution’s closing submissions.

Here is the side-by-side comparison:

Kong Hee

Defence: Kong always believed that it was legal to invest the church’s building fund to support the Crossover Project. He repeatedly gave instructions to his team to seek advice from the church’s lawyers and auditors before executing the transactions. Evidence showed that his instructions had been carried out to protect the interests of the church. It would have been against logic that a person with dishonest intent would bring his plans to advisors.

Kong had also never been told by these advisors that the building fund could not be invested and used to support the Crossover Project. He always had the intention of fulfilling the obligation of repaying the bonds

Prosecution: The deputy public prosecutor told the court to reject his testimony, and called Kong a “well-practised liar” with an “utter lack of credibility”.

Kong was also criticised for not being able to maintain a consistent position on critical factual issues and sought to portray his leadership role in managing CHC as being hands-off and indirect. And when faced with damning evidence, he insulated himself by attributing his approval for the sham transactions to information given to him by professionals.

Tan Ye Peng

Defence: The CHC case was unique as it had no complainant, there was no expert evidence heard and what was also unique was the relationship the accused had with one another. The court was urged to look at the actions of the accused, as evidenced from the emails they exchanged, and the discussions of cash flow showed they were not talking about something that was a sham.

Prosecutor: Tan played an indispensable role in relation to the sham investment and his authority was second only to Kong’s in the management of the Crossover Project. His defence was an attempt to cast responsibility for any and all incriminating acts on co-accused Kong and Chew.

Serina Wee

http://cdn.mothership.sg/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/serina-wee-chc-trial.jpg

Defence: There was never a conspiracy to commit wrongdoing. There were various instances where the language the accused used in her email correspondences with her co-accused were consistent with her testimony.

Prosecution: Serina Wee was the most inextricably involved in the conspiracy because of her role as the Crossover project administrator. She had to keep track of the accounts and budgeting for Sun Ho’s music career, which included monitoring the movement and planning and monitoring the progress of the sham transactions.

Sharon Tan

Defence: She lacked motive and she loved City Harvest Church. She had no reason to cause losses to the church. She also had nothing to gain from the conspiracy, with no cut of the proceeds, pay rise or promotion but had everything to lose.

Prosecutor: The defence of the City Harvest Church finance manager Sharon Tan was described as deeply cynical and self-serving.

Her evidence demonstrates her full participation in the planning, execution and subsequent cover-up of the conspiracy.

But yet she portrayed herself as a hard-working but naïve church employee roped in to help with the sham, in blissful ignorance of any wrongdoing that her co-accused might have intended.

The DPP said CHC was not some struggling new voluntary outfit run by bumbling amateurs with no experience of the financial world.

John Lam

Defence: The prosecution relied on its own inferences that Lam knew about the plans.

The prosecution had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the bonds were sham in nature, his client knew of the sham nature and agreed to the conspiracy.

At the inception of the first bonds, Lam was not involved in the structuring of the bonds and was not included in the correspondences that discussed the repayment plans.

Prosecution: Lam was the “inside man” in City Harvest Church’s governance and oversight bodies, who prevented the sham investment bonds from being found out. Lam, a former CHC board member, had a “special role” that none of his co-accused could have fulfilled.

Chew Eng Han

Defence: Chew Eng Han reiterated that his frame of mind had been pure when he was alleged to have conspired with the other co-accused to commit criminal breach of trust. He submitted that the bonds he had structured as investment manager of the church were in line with common market practices.

Prosecution: Chew lacked coherence and credibility as he had argued that the sham investments into Xtron and Firna were actually investments into Sun Ho’s music career. This exposed that the bonds were not investments after all.

He then went on to take multiple irreconcilable positions, saying that the bonds were indeed genuine investments in Xtron and Firna.

Conclusion

Defence: It is not enough to ask if the accused knew that they were doing wrong. Rather, it is to ask if they actually committed wrongdoing in order to cause wrongful loss. In the case of CHC, there was insufficient evidence of this wrongdoing.

Prosecution: It is a fallacy to believe that a crime committed, to further what the perpetrator considers to be a good cause, is not a crime.

Therefore, it is completely irrelevant that they did this with the motive of advancing CHC’s interests, the prosecutor said.

ExBro
29-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Arrrrrrghhhhh! Headache!!!!

Dunno if it's politics or the CHC or the haze.. My body cannot take it.... Lol

Anyway, just my 2cents worth....

When u put 8-9figure sums into the hands of a man.... No matter how Godly he was....

Or for the love of a sexy pussy, and maybe mistress (who know man... If using $25M kept his stress releaser in the US....)

With another more chio chiobu accounts gal by his side... WHO KNOWS MAN!?

I'm just a man, not a saint..

newyorker88
29-09-2015, 01:57 PM
read up mrslightnfriends blog, or facebook. or chc confessions.

You can get a lot of answers from there.

My point of view? Sure kena guilty. The evidence are too over whelming.

Serina may look hot as a MILF, but by the time she is out, old liao.

Sun Ho? Her scanty clothes did not even turn me on. She is a Pastor to lead CHC from now onwards.

Sharon Tan? don't look sexy to me. Pity her though.

durian
29-09-2015, 04:19 PM
The question is has the prosecutor proven beyond a reasonable doubt in this case which is the highest standard of proof that must be met in any trial. :D

kendom7
29-09-2015, 05:26 PM
I honestly believed with all the people involved in this saga, there will be a few that will be taking the fall, and maybe 1 or 2 escaped with maybe a fine. This case involves lots of $$$$, and also it is dealing with a religious 'entity' here.
So, when fraud and corruption is committed, and I am sure sufficient evidence is " collected and produced", then come Oct when the verdict is out..be prepared to be shock and shocked., just like GE2015.
Stay tune.

ChenYaFa
29-09-2015, 05:28 PM
All are guilty as hell.

DanielSturridge
29-09-2015, 05:34 PM
If I am the judge all will be sentenced to prison.

IwantbustyKim
29-09-2015, 05:36 PM
I said this from time and time again. Religion is a SCAM!!! .

The well meaning ones are just misguided while the more ambitious ones are all out to control and manipulated the stupid masses who believe in their bullshit. E.g. Fly a plane into a building so you can have fucking virgins in the after-life cos some cowardly caveman said so.

All this stupid nonsense so that their vain but horse-face pastor can do sexy videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twxf2LraoEE

Babarella
29-09-2015, 05:38 PM
How to be guilty? No consideration woh. Or rather prosecutor did not do utmost to present beyond reasonable doubt, money is pocketed unlike Najib. Some more state cannot say church cannot invest.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
30-09-2015, 12:14 AM
LOL. Don't worry abt it bro.
Stay calm.

Body cannot take it?
Then u can do whatever u want with Serina Wee photos
to release yrself lor. LOL.

Arrrrrrghhhhh! Headache!!!!

Dunno if it's politics or the CHC or the haze.. My body cannot take it.... Lol

Anyway, just my 2cents worth....

When u put 8-9figure sums into the hands of a man.... No matter how Godly he was....

Or for the love of a sexy pussy, and maybe mistress (who know man... If using $25M kept his stress releaser in the US....)

With another more chio chiobu accounts gal by his side... WHO KNOWS MAN!?

I'm just a man, not a saint..

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
30-09-2015, 11:07 AM
read up mrslightnfriends blog, or facebook. or chc confessions.

You can get a lot of answers from there.

My point of view? Sure kena guilty. The evidence are too over whelming.

Serina may look hot as a MILF, but by the time she is out, old liao.

Sun Ho? Her scanty clothes did not even turn me on. She is a Pastor to lead CHC from now onwards.

Sharon Tan? don't look sexy to me. Pity her though.

Thanks for info & predictions bro newyorker88.

Did come across some of the articles from mrslightnfriends / chc confessions. Fascinating read! :)

I will do Serina anytime! :D

The question is has the prosecutor proven beyond a reasonable doubt in this case which is the highest standard of proof that must be met in any trial. :D

I hear u bro durian.
So ... yr verdict? All acquitted?

I honestly believed with all the people involved in this saga, there will be a few that will be taking the fall, and maybe 1 or 2 escaped with maybe a fine. This case involves lots of $$$$, and also it is dealing with a religious 'entity' here.

So, when fraud and corruption is committed, and I am sure sufficient evidence is " collected and produced", then come Oct when the verdict is out..be prepared to be shock and shocked., just like GE2015.
Stay tune.

Thanks for yr prediction bro kendom7.

So who do u think will escape with just a fine?

Serina? :D

All are guilty as hell.

I think so too. So fine or jail?

If I am the judge all will be sentenced to prison.

Thanks all for prediction! Stay tuned ...

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
01-10-2015, 01:27 AM
I said this from time and time again. Religion is a SCAM!!! .

The well meaning ones are just misguided while the more ambitious ones are all out to control and manipulated the stupid masses who believe in their bullshit. E.g. Fly a plane into a building so you can have fucking virgins in the after-life cos some cowardly caveman said so.

All this stupid nonsense so that their vain but horse-face pastor can do sexy videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twxf2LraoEE

Thanks for yr contribution bro.

So ... you haven't told us yr prediction yet bro.
All will go jail? :D

How to be guilty? No consideration woh. Or rather prosecutor did not do utmost to present beyond reasonable doubt, money is pocketed unlike Najib. Some more state cannot say church cannot invest.

Thanks for yr reply Sis Babarella (sorry I'm assuming u r a sis).
So ... your verdict? All acquitted without fine?

:D

JohnHorGaoGan
01-10-2015, 02:08 AM
Main characters bo daiji, probably 1 or 2 scapegoats

Babarella
01-10-2015, 02:26 AM
Thanks for yr contribution bro.

So ... you haven't told us yr prediction yet bro.
All will go jail? :D

Thanks for yr reply Sis Babarella (sorry I'm assuming u r a sis).
So ... your verdict? All acquitted without fine?

IMHO : a slap on the wrist is the verdict. Ask you legal eagle out there ? Are there case precedence out there for the judge to draw inference from? Also this case came about from poison pens, from ex members who were disgruntled. How did this church suffered? A reduction in membership. I suspect it is business as usual for the Organization. Will they become smarter, sure. Apart from Creative financing scheme, I cannot fault anyone. They did not pocket the money illegally. If they did, they asked the church for permission. What does the saga shows us: an entity developed a goal to propagate its value proposition in a questionable way.

Rickey
01-10-2015, 06:16 AM
IMHO : a slap on the wrist is the verdict. Ask you legal eagle out there ? Are there case precedence out there for the judge to draw inference from? Also this case came about from poison pens, from ex members who were disgruntled. How did this church suffered? A reduction in membership. I suspect it is business as usual for the Organization. Will they become smarter, sure. Apart from Creative financing scheme, I cannot fault anyone. They did not pocket the money illegally. If they did, they asked the church for permission. What does the saga shows us: an entity developed a goal to propagate its value proposition in a questionable way.
Very well said, sis ! :)...a well knowledgeable sis who can make her own good analysis & inferences...& think & dwell deeply into the issue & problems of the case from the start to the finish...kudos to her ! :p...Keep it up, sis ! :)

newyorker88
01-10-2015, 11:37 AM
If they did, they asked the church for permission. What does the saga shows us: an entity developed a goal to propagate its value proposition in a questionable way.

I think u need to read up more about the case. If they did, it wont be CBT against them.

Also, a lot of the members are not aware of whats going on. Only the top echelon knows.

newyorker88
01-10-2015, 11:41 AM
IMHO : a slap on the wrist is the verdict. Ask you legal eagle out there ? Are there case precedence out there for the judge to draw inference from? Also this case came about from poison pens, from ex members who were disgruntled. How did this church suffered? A reduction in membership. I suspect it is business as usual for the Organization..

The DPP did use a case of a principal of a school, who use the school money for the church retirement building, or something like that. The judge rule in favor of DPP, n he was jailed.

As for business as usual, what I read from MRslightnfriends facebook, they are due to pay back loans that are in millions. I doubt they are able to do so.

Babarella
01-10-2015, 01:18 PM
The law has 3 components: judicial, enforcement and legistration. We need not get muddle up with the 3.

Do u believe a mega-sized church has the ABILITY ( please don't talk about the morality for now) to come out with $100 million in one Sunday? $80 million can just come out from 20% of the members using the law of Pareto which states and I quote, The Pareto principle (also known as the 80–20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

You may need to filter out the noises of the case and delve into the details for superficiallity causes us to make biased opinions the truth. I say you read it more throughly and not let other's opinion become your reality.

newyorker88
01-10-2015, 02:14 PM
The law has 3 components: judicial, enforcement and legistration. We need not get muddle up with the 3.

Do u believe a mega-sized church has the ABILITY ( please don't talk about the morality for now) to come out with $100 million in one Sunday? $80 million can just come out from 20% of the members using the law of Pareto which states and I quote, The Pareto principle (also known as the 80–20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

You may need to filter out the noises of the case and delve into the details for superficiallity causes us to make biased opinions the truth. I say you read it more throughly and not let other's opinion become your reality.

After 21 October, you see less members. More will get to know n probably stop attending.

kendom7
01-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks for info & predictions bro newyorker88.

Did come across some of the articles from mrslightnfriends / chc confessions. Fascinating read! :)

I will do Serina anytime! :D

I hear u bro durian.
So ... yr verdict? All acquitted?

Thanks for yr prediction bro kendom7.

So who do u think will escape with just a fine?

Serina? :D

I think so too. So fine or jail?

Thanks all for prediction! Stay tuned ...

So you asked me, who will be let off with only a fine? Well, like I have mentioned that it will be truly "shocking" as I am very sure even for those that will be found guilty, they will 100% appeal, and then the case will again be dragged on.. while on appeal I am sure they can all jolly well afford the hefty bail esp Mr KH.. So, Bro, for Ms Serina's case, I wont jumped to any conclusion, but a very wild stab into the dark dark hole, she might just be fine and worse case serve a few weeks or months behind bars.. dats my wild wild guess, so no haters ok hahahahaha.
Like you have said.... STAY TUNE.

PowerNasi
01-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Got nasi lemak to eat behind bars? :p

TigerGeneral
02-10-2015, 04:53 PM
That is why I never donate any money to any organisations requesting for building funds. I rather help directly with the old or needy.

PowerNasi
02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
That is why I never donate any money to any organisations requesting for building funds. I rather help directly with the old or needy.

And those organisations with CEO of $25,000 monthly pay ...... money goes to the CEO 1st, then if there is balance will go to the needy

Hakkien
02-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Send their sorry ass to jail!

domkas
03-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Definitely guilty and sent to jail. If you go check back news articles dated back to when NKF head honcho TT Durai was convicted, Kong hee immediately removed himself from the church's payroll system and relied on so called overseas 'missions' to earn cash. I think that was the time this saga started since he needed to find a way to cover things up.

orangeproud
04-10-2015, 12:03 AM
But with Money

you can employ good lawyers and many many lawyers to study the case and find loophole to win the case

Since they have so much money donated by the church friend.

Chance that they may get away.

Main characters bo daiji, probably 1 or 2 scapegoats

Yeah, agree that with so many donations from their church members, they can hire an outstanding lawyer to help them win the case. Their lawyer is Edwin Tong who is also a mp. Wondering why he would take up this case? Dun he feel that it's a scam also?

Wondering why those church members still so support of them? Dun they suspect anything? Or blindly religion followers of Mr KH? Really despicable of the pastor to make use of those followers trust on them, misuse their donations, to lead a lavish lifestyle.

I also think the main characters will not be sentenced, only some scapegoats are sacrificed. Normally, these type of case will drag very long time, until most of them forget abt it.

Haizzz....no justice in this world??!!:rolleyes::cool:

morninglory
04-10-2015, 06:02 AM
Some members are already brainwashed, believing KH is god

Mailman
04-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Let the court decide and wait for the verdict.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
21-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Live Updates:

4.58am: Close to 70 people are in the queue, ahead of the expected delivery of the verdict of the CHC trial.

6.12am: The queue has extended to about 100 people, says our reporter. Only 55 will be allowed in.

7.06am: Queue numbers were given out to the first 55 in the line.
Most of the rest who did not get a ticket left quickly,
while a handful was seen complaining to the security guard.

8.58am: Chew Eng Han, an ex-City Harvest investment committee member, has arrived at the State Courts.

9.03am: Ex-board member John Lam and deputy senior pastor Tan Ye Peng have also arrived in court.

9.10am: Members of the public who received queue numbers earlier this morning are being allowed into the courtroom.

9.16am: N Sreenivasan, Tan Ye Peng's lawyer, has arrived in court.

9.19am: Former finance manager of CHC Sharon Tan has arrived in court. Mr Andre Maniam, Serina Wee's lawyer, has arrived.

9.20am: CHC senior pastor Kong Hee and his wife, Ho Yeow Sun, have arrived.

9.21am: Former finance manager of CHC Serina Wee has arrived in court.

9.29am: All the accused have taken their seats in the dock.

9.33am: About 50 members of the public, including church supporters, are present in the court room.

9.38am: Court officials have taken their places, and Judge See Kee Oon has entered.

9.40am: "The main background facts are largely undisputed," said the judge,
adding that he will set out his findings for criminal breach of trust first,
before focusing on the extent of accused persons' knowledge.

9.42am: Xtron and Firna bonds were not genuine investments,
but were designed to create the appearance that Firna bonds were genuine, said the judge.
"I find that ... they were wrong uses of CHC funds."

9.45am: Xtron bonds were clearly under CHC control,
and funds were channeled there for use towards the Crossover project, said the judge.

9.46am: Kong, Tan Ye Peng and Wee had a substantial role in channeling the funds, said the judge,
adding that John Lam had a "less substantial" role but had his own part to play.

9.49am: All of the accused gave auditors the impression
that City Harvest and Xtron were independent of each other, said the judge.

9.51am: All accused knew the purpose of Firna bonds was to channel money from the building fund to the Crossover project, said Judge See.

9.56am: The "round-tripping of funds" was used to "create an appearance of genuine transactions", said the judge.
"Accused persons controlled these transactions every step of the way."

9.58am: Judge See said that he is "satisfied that ... there is falsification of CHC accounts".

10am: "Documentary evidence goes a long way in demonstrating their guilty knowledge," said the judge.

10.01am: The accused engaged in conspiracies to ... defraud and falsify accounts," said Judge See.
"If it can be shown that they were doing was legitimate I think there may well be room for doubt,
but the weight of evidence shows they were acting dishonestly."

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
21-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Live Updates:

10.05am: "I am satisfied that six accused persons are guilty of all the charges against them,"
said Judge See in his verdict.

10.07am: "No matter how pure the motive ...
these do not exonerate accused persons," said Judge See.

10.08am: Sentencing will be on a later date,
and the Judge said that he does not oppose that bail be extended.

10.10am: Lawyers are now waiting to meet with the judge.
A few CHC supporters are seen with their head bowed and praying,
and none appear to be leaving.

10.13am: All the lawyers, including Chew Eng Han who is representing himself,
are now in the chambers with the judge to discuss bail details and the date of sentencing.

The prosecution and defence are also set to come before the judge again at a later date,
to put forward their recommendations on the appropriate punishment for the accused.

Criminal breach of trust can attract a life sentence or a jail term of up to 20 years, and a fine.
The falsification of accounts carries a jail term of up to 10 years and a fine.

10.33am: The lawyers have returned from the judge's chambers.

itchyballs
21-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Probably a slap on the wrist for the main culprits like K.H. The scapegoats will probably be Sharon Tan and Serina Wee in my opinion. Anyway, these will all be water under the bridge over time. Look at where TT Durai (NKF scandal) and Ming Yi (Ren Ci scandal) are now. At most a few months in jail and they will go on with their lives.

RapidoBoy
21-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Confirm all will go to jail . It is a matter of how long will be the sentence.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
21-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Live Updates:

10.37am: Judge See has returned.

10.38am: The prosecution will have to file their submissions by Nov 6,
and the defence by Nov 13,
while oral submissions will have to be filed by Nov 20.
The prosecution has asked for bail to be doubled.

10.39am: The judge is extending bail for all accused,
which stands at S$1 million for each,
with the exception of Serina Wee and Sharon Tan.
Bail stands at S$750,000 each for Wee and Tan.

All are not permitted to travel.

10.40am: All lawyers have confirmed that their clients have bailors.

10.41am: Court is adjourned.

10.48am: The accused have left the courtroom,
but are gathered inside the State Courts building with their supporters

10.49am: Chew Eng Han, who conducted his own defence separately,
has said that he plans to appeal after sentencing.
He was seen hugging his crying daughter after the verdict.

10.59am: CHC senior pastor Kong Hee is seen leaving the court with his wife, Sun Ho.
He was found guilty of three counts of criminal breach of trust.

11.18am: City Harvest Church has released a statement on their website.
In the statement, CHC co-founder Sun Ho said that they were "disappointed by the outcome".

"Nonetheless, I know that Pastor Kong and the rest are studying the judgment intently
and will take legal advice from their respective lawyers in the days to come," she added.

Johnbass
21-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Haven't last episode?
Still make xmm cry...
Jiat lat lah...

SirLance
21-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Haven't last episode?
Still make xmm cry...
Jiat lat lah...

Quick go post story in jialat threead!

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
21-10-2015, 11:59 AM
https://www.facebook.com/cityharvestchurch?fref=nf

City Harvest Church (Official)
Church/Religious Organization · 37,044 Likes · 39 mins · Edited ·

Dear Church Family,
The judge has rendered his decision and, naturally, we are disappointed by the outcome. Nonetheless, I know that Pastor Kong and the rest are studying the judgment intently and will take legal advice from their respective lawyers in the days to come.

As was the case throughout these past three years of court trial, and the earlier two years of investigation, we have placed our faith in God and trust that whatever the outcome, He will use it for our good (Romans 8:28). This protracted season has been extremely difficult, not just for the six, but also for all their families and friends, as well as for our congregation.

In spite of these challenges, City Harvest Church has an unshakeable calling from God. Recently, Pastor Kong has exhorted us to focus on our core values, and serve the purpose of God with greater effectiveness and sustainability. Since 2012, we have had a new management and a new Church Board running the operations of the church. Therefore, let’s stay the course with CHC 2.0. God is making us stronger, purer and more mature as a congregation.

Thank you for your unwavering faithfulness in loving God and loving one another. More than ever before, let’s have a unity that is unbreakable. We are not alone as many of our friends and churches around the world are also interceding fervently for us. God knows the way that we take; when He has tested us, we shall come forth as gold (Job 23:10).

Pastor Kong and I are humbled by the tremendous outpouring of love and support shown to us during this time. We thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for Pastor Kong, Pastor Tan, John Lam, Sharon, Serina and Eng Han.

In Christ’s love, for His glory,
Sun Ho,
Co-Founder/Executive Director
On behalf of CHC Management Board

newyorker88
21-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Probably a slap on the wrist for the main culprits like K.H. The scapegoats will probably be Sharon Tan and Serina Wee in my opinion. Anyway, these will all be water under the bridge over time. Look at where TT Durai (NKF scandal) and Ming Yi (Ren Ci scandal) are now. At most a few months in jail and they will go on with their lives.

I think KH will get the most, followed by tan ye peng, serina, n lam may get the least.

KH is the head of all these, use others as puppets. I really hope the judge takes all these into consideration.

Ren Ci? n Durai? their amount involved, n complexity is not as bad as this case. Not to forget they purposely drag n give stupid excuses it cannot find lawyer. It has been too long.

Not to forget their lies in court, that may add on to a heavier sentencing.

69Sniper
21-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Live Updates:

10.05am: "I am satisfied that six accused persons are guilty of all the charges against them,"
said Judge See in his verdict.

wow brudder u really blog de whole court session 2day :p even faster den de straits times ordy :p

iPussy69
21-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Good verdit!
These 6 clowns are guilty as Johnbass...
HUAT AH!

sadfa
21-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Live Updates:

4.58am: Close to 70 people are in the queue, ahead of the expected delivery of the verdict of the CHC trial.

."

You copy n paste this or u been there since 5 am

newyorker88
21-10-2015, 02:21 PM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3A-00dAvijTNXAyaGEyLUtZdW8/view?pli=1

the Judge's oral judgement.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
21-10-2015, 02:22 PM
You copy n paste this or u been there since 5 am

Copy and paste from Channel News Asia bro. :D

singleman
21-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Serina Wee is 38 years old, but still look pretty and attractive (just my own feeling as pretty is subjective). Actually I interest in this news bcos of her. :D

Hmm wad u all think of the other accused lady, Sharon tan? Fuckable? :D

Bail out is 750k to 1 million... who the fucking rich can pay this kind of amt... they really damn rich...

sadfa
21-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Don't need to pay.
Can use collateral like title deed n Angelababys virginity

Summerhillt
22-10-2015, 12:51 AM
Don't you all think that this case is absurd? Obviously KH did something wrong. But what is the hype now? Guilty ? So? Where is the 50m lol!

Sg judge also not stupid. He purposely set the bail so high amount because he knows that they sure will keep the millions elsewhere. Might as well use it for bail. Who in the right mind will lend u $1m for bail lol.

sadfa
22-10-2015, 01:40 AM
Don't you all think that this case is absurd? Obviously KH did something wrong. But what is the hype now? Guilty ? So? Where is the 50m lol!

Sg judge also not stupid. He purposely set the bail so high amount because he knows that they sure will keep the millions elsewhere. Might as well use it for bail. Who in the right mind will lend u $1m for bail lol.

Kaozzzz! It's bail la! Not fine.

Pay already can get back.
And of cos no one is stoopid to pay cash from day one.
You do realise from day one they got post bail right?
Now its continuation of that maybe with amount increased.

And money spent or wasted on her singing career.
N not judge trying to get it back

tnuc
22-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Bring to justice first then talk about money. If not guilty then can't talk about money

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
22-10-2015, 11:31 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3A-00dAvijTNXAyaGEyLUtZdW8/view?pli=1

the Judge's oral judgement.

Thanks for the link bro newyorker88.
Gave u points already, can't give u any more ... :)

Brief Summary for those who haven't been following ...:

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/kong-hee-and-city-harvest-church-leaders-found-guilty-what-next

Kong Hee and City Harvest Church leaders found guilty: What next?

The court found the accused guilty of funnelling $24 million
in church building funds into bogus bond investments
to bankroll the music ambitions of Kong's wife, Ms Ho Yeow Sun.
Later, they used a further $26 million to cover their tracks.

The six were convicted of varying counts
of criminal breach of trust and falsifying accounts.

Here are six things about the trial which lasted 140 days:

1. WHAT NEXT AFTER THE VERDICT?

The prosecution is scheduled to file written submissions by Nov 6.
The defence will be given a week to respond with mitigation pleas on Nov 13.

Oral submissions will be delivered on Nov 20 at 9.30am.

Sentencing may take place on Nov 20 or at a later date.

2. WHAT IS THE NEXT COURSE OF ACTION FOR THE CHURCH LEADERS?

In a statement put up on the church website, Ms Ho, who is CHC co-founder,
said Kong and the others were "studying the judgment intently"
and would be taking legal advice from their respective lawyers.

Former church fund manager Chew Eng Han, who conducted his own defence,
said he intends to file an appeal.

Mr John Lam, former CHC finance committee member, said he is considering an appeal,
while former church finance manager Sharon Tan said she would speak to her lawyer first.

Kong and deputy senior pastor Tan Ye Peng indicated through their lawyers
that they would wait for the grounds of decision before making their next move.

Former CHC finance manager Serina Wee has not decided if she would appeal the verdict.

3. WHAT IS THE BAIL AMOUNT?

Judge See extended bail of $1 million to Kong, Tan Ye Peng, Chew and Lam.

Bail was set at $750,000 for Sharon Tan and Wee,
who had her bail amount raised from $500,000 previously.

They have been barred from travelling overseas. All six posted bail.

4. WHAT IS THE PUNISHMENT FOR THE OFFENCE?

Kong and Lam were found guilty of three charges of criminal breach of trust.

Tan Ye Peng, Chew and Wee were convicted
of six charges of criminal breach of trust and four charges of falsifying accounts.

Sharon Tan was found guilty of three charges of criminal breach of trust and four charges of falsifying accounts.

The falsification of accounts charge carries a jail term of up to 10 years and a fine.

For each count of criminal breach of trust, the accused could face up to 10 years' jail and a fine.

The punishment for criminal breach of trust by a public servant, banker, merchant or agent
set out under Section 409 of the Penal Code - the section under which the six have been convicted -
is a life sentence or up to 20 years' jail.

However, the maximum punishment a District Court judge can impose is 10 years per charge,
or a maximum cumulative sentence of up to 20 years.

5. WHAT NEXT FOR THE CHURCH?

In Ms Ho's official statement following the verdict, she said a new management and church board
- which she dubbed "CHC 2.0" - has been overseeing operations since 2012.

In a Facebook post on Oct 19, Kong also revealed that his wife had been ordained as a pastor
and urged church members to support her and the new generation leadership team.

6. IS THIS THE LONGEST CRIMINAL CASE IN SINGAPORE'S HISTORY?

While the CHC trial, which started in May 2013, went on for 140 days, it is not the longest.

The record was set by a drug trafficking case in the 1990s which lasted 168 days.

sundial
22-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Serina Wee is 38 years old, but still look pretty and attractive (just my own feeling as pretty is subjective). Actually I interest in this news bcos of her. :D

Hmm wad u all think of the other accused lady, Sharon tan? Fuckable? :D

Bail out is 750k to 1 million... who the fucking rich can pay this kind of amt... they really damn rich...

If she come to me i bail her keep her under lock key, make her my slave until gao gao. But look again at the recent picture abit hagged. Maybe cannot sleep well.

JediForce
22-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Thank you for sharing.

69Sniper
22-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Kaozzzz! It's bail la! Not fine.

Pay already can get back.
And of cos no one is stoopid to pay cash from day one.
You do realise from day one they got post bail right?
Now its continuation of that maybe with amount increased.

And money spent or wasted on her singing career.
N not judge trying to get it back

aiyoyo brudder sadfa if de accused ran away den the bail will be gone so who lend the bail$ to de accused sure die.....:eek::p

sadfa
22-10-2015, 06:52 PM
aiyoyo brudder sadfa if de accused ran away den the bail will be gone so who lend the bail$ to de accused sure die.....:eek::p

Aiyoh then you smarter abit.

You b guarantor, you ask Sun Ho n his indo fren to b yr collateral la. Or sign iou or give you some valuable to keep.

Anyway I think they Wun take away the full amount even if they run away.

N passport take away, Kong hee swim to jb meh. N nowadays Malaysia will cooperate to give up these fugitives

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
23-10-2015, 11:57 PM
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/city-harvest-trial-most-costly-criminal-trial-in-singapore#xtor=CS1-10

The City Harvest trial could go down as the most expensive criminal trial in Singapore's history.

After 141 days in court, all six defendants - including the church's founding pastor Kong Hee - were found guilty on Wednesday of varying counts of criminal breach of trust and falsifying accounts.

Senior lawyers The Straits Times spoke to said it would not be surprising if costs exceeded $2 million for each of the five defendants still being represented by lawyers. Four of these five are represented by Senior Counsel, regarded as the elite in the legal profession here, who can charge upwards of $1,000 an hour, said lawyers.

The remaining defendant, former church fund manager Chew Eng Han, has represented himself since May last year. Previously, he was represented by Senior Counsel Michael Khoo.

The defendants' lawyers declined to comment.

Legal costs for the trial could shoot beyond $10 million, which would make it the most expensive criminal legal battle here, said experts. The figure does not include the bail... which ranges from $750,000 to $1 million.

Chew, however, told The Straits Times that he had paid $1.1 million in legal fees so far. Of this, $400,000 came from a fund to which church members contributed, he said.

Put together, legal costs for the trial could shoot beyond $10 million, which would make it the most expensive criminal legal battle here, said experts.

The figure does not include the bail posted by each accused, which ranges from $750,000 to $1 million.

"It has been a very extensive and long trial that would require intensive preparation over a long period of time. So the legal fees would be quite substantial," said Senior Counsel Lok Vi Ming.

Other costly criminal battles include that of former Central Narcotics Bureau chief Ng Boon Gay, who was acquitted of corruption in 2013. It was estimated then that the trial could have cost over $1 million.

The City Harvest trial is also one of the longest criminal trials on record, though still not as long as a drug trafficking trial that ran for 168 days in the 1990s.

Veteran criminal lawyer Amolat Singh pointed out that with four Senior Counsel and their legal teams, costs would mount quickly.

"Everyone on the team has billable hours," he said, adding that the complexity of the trial is another big factor.

The prosecution alone called 14 witnesses and produced more than 1,400 documents.

"White-collar crime is always more complex than normal crime. For white-collar crime, you have so many angles, so many documents, so many vouchers - all these add to the complexity," said Mr Singh.

However, another veteran lawyer, who declined to be named, said if the $2 million in costs were averaged over the length of the trial, it would work out to a daily rate of about $14,000.

He said: "That's actually not unreasonable."

Meanwhile, despite the fact that in 2012, the Commissioner of Charities had warned the church against raising funds to pay the legal fees of the accused, former and current church members said independent efforts to raise funds have persisted.

Former member Nanz Chong-Komo, 46, said there were always "a lot of initiatives and encouragement" in church to help the defendants financially. She left the church in 2013.

Another church member, a prominent local businessman who declined to be named, confirmed this, and said he had personally given "a little bit".

"This is more like a love offering, it's not a church thing. The (defendants) never solicited donations. People give of their own free will," he said.

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
26-10-2015, 02:18 AM
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/idea-was-spread-gospel-pop-music

The City Harvest Church trial, which fascinated Singaporeans and attracted worldwide attention with its heady mix of faith, money and fraud, apparently had its roots in one simple desire - to reach out to non-Christians all over the world through music.

But it led to the misuse of $50 million in church funds, and conviction of six church leaders, including founding pastor Kong Hee.

He and his wife Ho Yeow Sun first toyed with the idea of spreading the Gospel using pop music in 1999, when they began to modify the lyrics of secular songs to include Christian messages.

Buoyed by the positive response to her performances, Kong thought it viable for his wife to record an album of contemporary Christian music. But a Taiwanese music producer told Kong that Ms Ho had the potential to be a secular music artist.

In 2002, the Crossover Project to spread the church's message through pop music was born.

Later that year, Ms Ho made her Mandopop debut with her album Sun With Love, which quickly sold some 50,000 copies in the Taiwanese market and more than 30,000 in Singapore.

More popularly known by her stage name Sun Ho, she kept to her then wholesome image, fronting the album cover with a close-up of her barely made-up face, complete with freckles.

Her fame was further secured with the release of her second album the same year. Titled SunDay, it beat Taiwanese boy band 5566 and homegrown singer Stefanie Sun to win Best Selling Album of the Year at the Singapore Hit Awards in 2003.

Both albums were directly funded by CHC, an arrangement that soon ended in 2003 after a former church member alleged that church money had been used to boost her career.

With the media spotlight trained on the church and its use of funds, Kong decided that the church should be much more discreet in how it funded the Crossover Project. Music production company Xtron was set up in June 2003, and on the same day, Ms Ho was signed on as an artist. Previously, she was managed by City Harvest Pte Ltd and Attributes Pte Ltd, both subsidiaries of CHC.

Thus it fell to Xtron to finance her music career, and it did so particularly through donations by individuals. Often, donations which would otherwise have been made to the church's building fund were instead redirected to Xtron.

The firm also received revenue directly from CHC by sub-leasing a hall at the Singapore Expo to the church for its weekend services and providing audio-visual and lighting services, which the church did in-house before, for a monthly fee.

While Ms Ho's third album Lonely Travel, released in 2003, also sold more than 30,000 copies here, her fourth and fifth albums fared considerably poorer, selling only 5,000 to 10,000 copies.

In March 2003, Kong went to the US to preach as a guest speaker in a church and told its pastor, who formerly worked in the entertainment business, about the Crossover Project. Intrigued by its concept, she encouraged Kong to take the project over to the US and even circulated samples of Ms Ho's music among her industry friends.

It was through her that Kong got to know music producer Justin Herz, who once worked for MTV. The US phase of the Crossover Project was launched in 2003.

Over the next seven years, Ms Ho released several English singles, five of which made it to the Top 10 of Billboard's Hot Dance Club Songs. Each single stayed on the charts for between 13 and 16 weeks.

In June 2005, Kong and Mr Herz finally firmed up plans to release Ms Ho's debut US album by March 2006. However, Mr Herz later insisted the album was not ready and Kong deferred to his advice.

In May that year, Grammy-winning producer and Fugees co-founder Wyclef Jean, who commanded a fee of US1.5 million (S$1.9 million), was brought in.

It was a move that substantially increased the amount of money needed to fund her album, which was expected to cost more than $11 million. The CHC leaders believed that Jean's involvement would eventually help to sell the album's projected 1.5 million copies. By then, Ms Ho had long shed her clean girl-next-door image for a strong dare-to-bare attitude.

Tongues wagged, especially when she appeared in a slinky red Armani dress with a plunging neckline at a Hollywood event in 2003.

However, Ms Ho's English single China Wine and its music video - a collaboration with Jean in 2007 - attracted the most attention.

In the video, she adopts a persona called Geisha and prances about in a racy midriff-baring top and micro hot pants.

Other music videos such as the reggae-inspired Mr Bill (2009) also feature Ms Ho in tight, revealing outfits. In the song, she talks about killing her fictional husband, Bill, and "sending him to the cemetery" for making her "cook and clean".

Both videos were heavily criticised for their negative portrayal of the Asian stereotype.

Plenty of eyebrows were also raised over her lifestyle in the US, where she lived in an upscale area of Los Angeles where the likes of Brad Pitt resided, in a house supposedly costing more than $20,000 a month.

It was later revealed in the trial that Xtron was bleeding heavily, and that even her Mandarin albums incurred losses.

In his written judgment, Judge See Kee Oon decided that Ms Ho's perceived success was "inflated".

In fact, Xtron and the Crossover team had relied heavily on sponsorship from CHC members or supporters to prop up her Mandarin album sales and promote her career.

It was thus "no more than optimistic hope" to believe that her debut US album would be able to sell more than 200,000 copies, as Kong and the other five church leaders had so fervently expected.

Ms Ho's failed pop career was played up in several foreign media reports on the guilty verdicts.

The BBC detailed how she was restyled as a "vampy rapper-singer" in 2007 and produced singles which met with limited success.

Britain's The Telegraph also shone the spotlight on Ms Ho's pop star ambitions, which Kong claimed was part of the church's mission to evangelise through her music.

"The evangelical message of the brash videos with international music and modelling stars was not immediately clear," it wrote.

sadfa
26-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Kong hee should explain wad on earth was he thinking.

Obviously sun Ho cannot make it in Usa with her being Asian, her age, looks n no talent. She can't even make it in Asian market! Even a b lister like Paris Hilton can't make it. Sun ho no chance la

If they want to invade US market, they might as well invest in a few locals n hope they become Taylor swift. After that, talk to their fans about church. Even if Sun Ho 20 years younger also no chance la

FacesBook
20-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Breaking news!! Kong Hee sentenced to 8 years jail

FacesBook
20-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Breaking news!! Chew Eng Han sentenced to 6 years jail

Serina Wee sentenced to 5 years jail
Tan Ye Peng sentenced to 6 years jail
John Lam sentenced to 3 years
Sharon Tan sentenced to 21 months jail.

ringo6668
20-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Breaking news!! Chew Eng Han sentenced to 6 years jail

Serina Wee sentenced to 5 years jail
Tan Ye Peng sentenced to 6 years jail
John Lam sentenced to 3 years
Sharon Tan sentenced to 21 months jail.

What they sow is what they get....its fair.

newyorker88
20-11-2015, 03:43 PM
SO LITTLE FOR KONG HEE? Not a bad deal. makan n con so many people, 50 millions, 8 years only. Minus here n there, 6 years can come out.

20-11-2015, 04:38 PM
SO LITTLE FOR KONG HEE? Not a bad deal. makan n con so many people, 50 millions, 8 years only. Minus here n there, 6 years can come out.

Many of my friends also said the same that the sentence was light.

sammicheng1000
20-11-2015, 05:49 PM
The whole thing about this case is retarded church members willingly give then their money. Still refuse to see the truth but blindly insist they give him to spend as he like just because they don't want to lose face.

8yr lol, change place with him la give my family 25mil half price can Liao.

S.B.Y.1
22-11-2015, 11:51 AM
All of them ought to be Crucified :D at Hong Lim Park

Totallyuseless
22-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Too little jail sentence for too much damage done in the belief of GOD...
Me passing my nia :D

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
23-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks all for the updates.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-trial-21/2278238.html

This, sadly, was the response of City Harvest Official:

Dear Church,

Today in court, Judge See Kee Oon delivered the following sentences on the six in the CHC case:

8 years for Pastor Kong
5 years 6 months for Pastor Tan
5 years for Serina
3 years for John
21 months for Sharon, and
6 years for Chew Eng Han.

After discussion with their lawyers, all six have asked for the start of their sentences to be deferred to after Christmas. The judge has agreed to this, setting the date at 11 January 2016. All six also told the court that they are still contemplating appealing against the convictions and/or sentences. Bail has been extended for all six.

We want to thank each and every one of you, our church members, for demonstrating such strength and unity throughout all these years, and particularly in these last few extremely difficult months. We ask you to remember and hold close to your heart the call of God upon City Harvest Church. We have learned lately what it means to have faith, trust and rest in God—let us put what we have learned to practice. Let’s band together to fulfill the heavenly calling for us through CHC 2.0.

Let us continue to pray for the six and their families as they prepare for this next step in the legal process. May God grant them grace and the peace that surpasses understanding.

In Christ,
Pastor Aries Zulkarnain
Pastor Bobby Chaw
Sun Ho

spluder101
23-11-2015, 10:45 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvFQFBiCIAA2k-G.jpg:large

Qu Bu Qu Ma?
28-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Chew Eng Hen's sad story:

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/former-city-harvest-fund-manager-chew-eng-han-i-hardly-have-anything-now

He was the loyal follower who rose quickly through the ranks at City Harvest Church (CHC).

But after Chew Eng Han and five others from the church, including founder Kong Hee, were arrested, that loyalty counted for nothing.

He grilled Kong Hee in court during the trial. He singled out the former pastor for the mess they were in.

He blamed vanity for Kong’s persistence in pursuing his wife’s pop-star ambition.

Chew let fly at in a two hour interview with The New Paper on Sunday.

Chew says he left CHC in 2013 partly because of how Kong Hee and his wife had misled a small group of donors who had been supporting the livelihood of the couple.

He adds that Kong did so by showing the donors “false accounts”.

The money was channelled to a multi-purpose account (MPA), a trust fund that comprised of personal donations — “love gifts” — from about 40 of Kong’s closest supporters, court proceedings showed.

The MPA was used by Kong Hee and Ms Ho, whose stage name was Sun Ho, for their personal expenses including travel, medical bills, hair and make-up.

The New Paper on Sunday had provided a breakdown on Nov 8 based on documents tendered in court.

Chew and his wife had donated “hundreds of thousands” in love gifts to the MPA from 2007 to 2009.

They gave to the MPA because Kong Hee and Ms Ho were “labouring for the Lord” and had announced that they had taken themselves off the CHC payroll in 2005.

“They need to survive. That’s what we think. No salary, poor thing. Let’s donate love gifts.”

They had no idea what the money was used on, or who else contributed to it, as Kong Hee and his subordinates did not reveal the full accounts for the monies from 2007 to 2009 to the donors.

The donors had no issue because the money was meant for the couple anyway, says Chew.

TURNING POINT
In 2010, Kong Hee held a meeting for all the MPA donors for the first time and presented a spreadsheet showing that the fund was in deficit.

Says Chew: “He wanted more money... So he gives us an impression that the collection from us is not enough to cover the expenses.

“Then, he gave us a form to write down how much more we think we can increase our gifts in the coming year, and the aim was to try to prod us to achieve a certain targeted amount.”

It turned out in later investigations that Ms Ho and Kong had been withdrawing more than $400,000 from the MPA as part of Ms Ho’s salary, royalties and bonuses for her music career.

This was not told to the MPA donors during the meeting, as Kong admitted in court that CHC had a practice of keeping its members’ income confidential.

Says Chew: “We had no clue before that first MPA meeting in 2010 that he had been collecting (more than) a million dollars.

“It was emotional (when he showed us the MPA was in deficit). It was like: ‘Poor Pastor Kong, he’s got so much expenses because he is involved in the Crossover Project.’

He says the Commercial Affairs Department questioned fellow accused Serina Wee why she kept two separate spreadsheets on the MPA cash-flow, one to show to the MPA donors and another showing that Sun Ho was paid monies from the account.

Chew says: “She (Wee) said that it was because Sun’s salary is very sensitive. But it should not be sensitive to the 50 of us because we already intended to give to her (Ms Ho) anyway.”

Chew quit the church in February 2013 after 18 years.

He said that ordinary church members who donated to the church, building fund and the Crossover Project sacrificed their own well-being instead.

He recalled a story of a CHC member who donated “a lot” of his earnings to the building fund.

Says Chew: “He came in early to the office to eat biscuits and save money. The office biscuits.

“So, my friend (who was his employer) asked him, why are you eating biscuits every morning? He said that it was so he could sacrifice and give more to the fund.”

Chew personally donated about $600,000 to the building fund and to Sun Ho’s artiste management company, Xtron Productions, in total, according to court proceedings.

He says: “These people are all living difficult lives, you know? Even for myself, for all the earnings I have given, I could have saved or multiplied it for my own children.

“I hardly have anything now, because I believed in this vision, in serving God.”

Kong and Ms Ho did not reply to our repeated requests for comment.

JUDGE: KONG HEE EXPLOITED CHEW
Kong Hee had exploited Chew, said State Courts Presiding Judge See Kee Oon in his written judgement last month.

“Eng Han’s forceful personality, coupled with his determination and drive to achieve his objectives, was recognised and exploited by Kong Hee,” said Judge See.

“They tapped on and fuelled each other’s drive, one as a spiritual leader and the other as a finance expert.

But Chew had his failings too.

The judge found that Chew expected no losses from using the building fund to fund the Crossover Project because he thought “everything in City Harvest that was done, succeeded”.

“That is surely a bold and sweeping exaggeration that gives the lie to the extravagant overconfidence that characterised his conduct and mindset,” he said.

Chew Eng Han first joined City Harvest Church (CHC) in December 1995 after he was introduced to the church by his nephew.

He converted to Christianity that day and rose through the ranks.

He started as a cell group leader in 1997 and became a CHC board member in April 1999.

Chew, 55, said: “(Kong Hee) picked me because I was very dedicated to the church. A very hardworking labourer for God.”

Chew then was also the head of State Street Bank.

“He probably chose me as well because at that time, there were not many professionals working in the church (who were) earning so much money.

“I never felt attracted to the position. To me was just a chance to serve even more effectively.”

The church also experienced a massive swell in its congregation size between 1995 and 1997, he says.

When he joined in 1995, there were just 1,300 members.

That number doubled the following year before increasing to 5,000 in 1997.

“At that time, we were still good. I think it was the presence of God (and) the pure worship. This was 1996, 1997, 1998.

“These three years the atmosphere was pure. The staff were all very hardworking and dedicated to the Kingdom,” he says.

Chew went on to become a key figure in the church’s hunt for a new worship premise as well as the structuring of the Xtron and Firna bonds.

DONATIONS
Chew Eng Han questioned the size of the medical expenses chalked up by the couple.

According to court documents, they spent around $140,000 in 2007, and around $180,000 in 2008 and 2009 on medical bills.

“I only see one issue of Kong and Sun who were living it up. But when they presented the MPA (to us), they make it seem like they are so sacrificial and are having a hard time,” says Chew.

Former CHC member Jean Jacques Lavigne tells TNP that he believes the way MPA was dealt with remained a sore point for him till today.

He left the church in 2013 after being a member for 15 years. By then, he had already donated a “five-figure sum” to support Kong believing that it had gone into the MPA.

This was on top of his regular tithes and donations to the church and the building fund.

Says Mr Lavigne, a CEO of a superyacht firm: “When he comes to the givers, he would say, ‘Oh you are so good to me, dear MPA givers, this is how much you gave me. But I’m spending so much. Could you give a bit more?’ So, people give a bit more.”

But he did not know that Sun Ho had been drawing out around $400,000 as royalties, bonuses and salaries every year.

He only found out when Chew told him about it.

skyleon
15-09-2016, 08:29 PM
City Harvest appeal: Transactions 'beyond reproach' and no personal gain for Kong Hee, says lawyer

By

Kelly Ng

Published: 4:08 PM, September 15, 2016

Updated: 7:10 PM, September 15, 2016

SINGAPORE — City Harvest Church leaders made no “wrong use” of the mega-church's building funds by investing them in bonds to fund an evangelistic project, and these decisions had been affirmed by financial and legal advisors whom they “openly and almost religiously” consulted, argued lawyer Edwin Tong, as he began his appeal to overturn the conviction of church founder Kong Hee on Thursday (Sept 15).

“The conduct of the accused persons in checking, verifying (prospective transactions with the professionals) served to benefit the church...Which dishonest person goes back a second time to the auditor and asks him to look at the bonds critically (to ensure that) it is legally above board,” he asked.

Kong’s appeal is the second of six appeals by current and former church leaders convicted last October for the unauthorised use of S$24 million in church building funds for the music career of his wife Ho Yeow Sun, “round-tripping” transactions worth S$26.6 million to create the impression that sham investments had been redeemed, and falsification of accounts.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/chc-trial-transactions-beyond-reproach-and-no-personal-gain-kong-hee

skyleon
15-09-2016, 08:33 PM
City Harvest appeal: Bonds were genuine investments,says John Lam

By

Amanda Lee

Published: 10:31 AM, September 15, 2016

Updated: 6:40 PM, September 15, 2016

SINGAPORE – Former City Harvest Church (CHC) board member John Lam believed that the bonds used in music production company Xtron and glass manufacturer Firna were genuine investments for the church's "Crossover Project", said his lawyers in his appeal case in the High Court on Thursday (Sept 15).

Lam was one of six CHC leaders found guilty of misappropriating S$50.6 million in church funds almost a year ago. All six are back in court, starting Thursday, to appeal against their convictions and sentences.
In the written submissions for the case, Lam’s lawyers said that the former secretary of the church's management board did not know during the period of Jan 18, 2007 to Aug 23, 2007 that the Xtron bond was a sham. He also did not know during the time from July 24, 2008 to Oct 6, 2008 that the Firna bond was a shame.

“Absent knowledge that the bonds were shams, John Lam could not abet a conspiracy to invest church building funds in sham bonds," said his lawyers Senior Counsel Kenneth Tan and Nicholas Narayanan.

Lam, 47, was sentenced to three years' jail in October last year, after he was convicted for three charges of criminal breach of trust.

"The fatal flaw in the (district) judge's conviction of John Lam for having participated in two separate conspiracies involving sham investments in two separate companies is that in the context and in the circumstances of the separate Xtron and Firna bonds, it is not an inexorable and irresistible inference – which is the high threshold imposed for inferring a conspiracy – that John Lam knew that the bonds were a shame," they added.

Church founder Kong Hee, his deputy Tan Ye Peng, former church investment manager Chew Eng Han, former church accountant Serina Wee Gek Yin, former church finance manager Sharon Tan Shao Yuen and former church board member John Lam Leng Hung were convicted of varying charges of criminal breach of trust and/or falsification of accounts. They had used church fund monies to buy sham bond investments to finance the Crossover Project — which aims to use the music of church co-founder and Kong's wife Sun Ho to evangelise — and thereafter misused church funds to cover up the first amount by falsifying accounts. More than S$50 million was found to have been misappropriated.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/chc-trial-bonds-were-genuine-investments-john-lam

wangzzz
15-09-2016, 09:49 PM
All of them ought to be Crucified :D at Hong Lim Park

Pak,
should throw them inside Nusa Kambangan prison.

seanylit
16-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Pak,
should throw them inside Nusa Kambangan prison.

death by impalement !!!!.. i will impale serina with my ..ahem.."pogo stick" ..

skyleon
16-09-2016, 09:28 PM
City Harvest trial: I was brainwashed, says former CHC fund manager Chew Eng Han

Published 8 hours ago

Ng Huiwen

Danson Cheong

SINGAPORE - Using the church's building fund to support a project that benefited the church was not being dishonest, especially when it was founded on full belief and faith, argued former City Harvest Church (CHC) fund manager Chew Eng Han on Friday (Sept 16).

Speaking to a three-judge panel on the second day of the appeal, Chew, 57, refuted the charges of dishonest misappropriation that was made out by the prosecution.

Chew, who is representing himself, is one of six CHC leaders convicted of misappropriating church funds to fuel the pop music career of CHC founder Kong Hee's wife, Ms Ho Yeow Sun, in a church mission known as the Crossover Project.

He was handed a six-year jail term.

He argued that the bond proceeds of music production company Xtron and glass-maker Firna did not go into his own pocket, but were for the church's benefit.

continue reading here : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/city-harvest-trial-i-was-brainwashed-says-former-chc-fund-manager-chew-eng

skyleon
16-09-2016, 09:33 PM
City Harvest appeals: She was only a ‘mouthpiece’, says Sharon Tan’s lawyer

By

Kelly Ng

Published: 5:55 PM, September 16, 2016

Updated: 6:03 PM, September 16, 2016

SINGAPORE — Former finance manager Sharon Tan was not part of the City Harvest Church’s (CHC) leadership, and hence merely a “mouthpiece” with limited understanding, argued her defence lawyer Paul Seah on Friday (Sept 16). She was not a party to the alleged conspiracy to either misappropriate the mega-church’s funds or to falsify its accounts, Mr Seah added.

Tan – who was sentenced to 21 months’ jail for three counts of criminal breach of trust and four accounts falsification charges – was not involved in the church’s decision to subscribe to the Xtron and Firna bonds, Mr Seah stressed. Tan was back in court on Friday to appeal against her conviction and sentences.

Mr Seah said her involvement in these investments came about only after she took over as the church’s finance manager from January 2008.

Unlike the other five convicted, who either held top leadership positions or sat on CHC’s board at some point, Tan, now 40, held a low position in the church’s hierarchy and merely “followed instructions”.

Even when senior pastor Tan Ye Peng and the church’s then fund manager Chew Eng Han were devising plans to redeem the bonds, Tan was largely left out of the meetings and was roped in only occasionally to “provide facts and figures”.

“Sharon Tan shows absolutely no understanding of the plans, she doesn’t know how it works… Sharon was merely a mouthpiece, reporting certain things,” said Mr Seah.

And at each step of this process, Ms Tan showed “eagerness” for the plans to be given the green light by the professionals, and was assured as such, said Mr Seah.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/city-harvest-appeals-she-was-only-mouthpiece-says-sharon-tans-lawyer

makka111
17-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Put my cock into her mouth... then Sharon Tan can become genuine 'mouthpiece'...

skyleon
19-09-2016, 07:10 PM
City Harvest trial: Spending church money on Ho Yeow Sun's music career not wrong, says Serina Wee

Published 50 min ago

Danson Cheong

SINGAPORE - Putting church money into the music career of singer-pastor Ho Yeow Sun was a genuine investment and the church was not wrong to do so.

This was what Senior Counsel Andre Maniam told the court on Monday afternoon. He was presenting his client's case - former City Harvest Church (CHC) finance manager Serina Wee, 39.

"My client did not think she was doing anything wrong - if there was an element of financial return, it was an investment," said Mr Maniam.

In October last year, Wee was among six CHC leaders convicted of misappropriating millions in church funds to fuel the pop music career of Ms Ho - the wife of CHC founder Kong Hee and one of the six - in a church mission known as the Crossover Project.

The court found that they had invested $24 million from CHC's building fund in bogus bonds from music production company Xtron and glass-maker Firna, but this money was, in fact, used to fund the Crossover Project.

continue reading here : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/spending-church-money-on-ho-yeow-suns-music-career-not-wrong-says-serina-wee

CesarMillan
19-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Put my cock into her mouth... then Sharon Tan can become genuine 'mouthpiece'...

Hahaha well said bro :D

Apollo
19-09-2016, 11:12 PM
drama still continue ...

skyleon
20-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Secrecy surrounding Sun Ho's career did not amount to dishonesty: Lawyer

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan
Posted 19 Sep 2016 22:04
Updated 19 Sep 2016 23:07

SINGAPORE: Secrecy surrounding the inner workings of City Harvest Church's Crossover Project was to ensure its success and did not amount to dishonesty, the defence lawyer for one of the six church leaders appealing their convictions and sentences said on Monday (Sep 19).

Senior Counsel Andre Maniam, representing former finance manager Serina Wee, said the Crossover Project – the church's attempt to reach out to non-Christians by propelling senior pastor Kong Hee's wife, pastor Sun Ho, to pop stardom – said there was secrecy around the project because Kong wanted to distance the church from his wife’s secular singing career.

“That is fundamentally the basis of the Crossover Project. If (Ms Ho) was seen as a gospel singer, she was just another gospel singer”, Mr Maniam said.

“The idea ... is if she makes it big in the entertainment industry, people who would normally not step into a church will go to her concerts and we can pitch (an evangelical) message to them. It’s unconventional, some would say controversial. But for it to succeed, she could not be seen as a church-funded gospel singer”, the lawyer argued.

Wee, who was also the administrator of the Crossover Project, was convicted of 10 charges and sentenced to five years’ jail last November for her role in misappropriating S$50 million in church funds towards Ms Ho's career. She dealt with the project’s finances and cash flow, the High Court heard.

continue reading here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/secrecy-surrounding-sun-ho-s-career-did-not-amount-to-dishonesty/3139272.html

skyleon
20-09-2016, 07:24 PM
City Harvest trial: Church leaders weave web of lies to deceive church members, auditors, lawyers, says DPP

Published 6 hours ago

Danson Cheong

SINGAPORE - The six City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders deceived church members, auditors and lawyers, and weaved a web of deceit to subvert the church's internal governance bodies.

That was what Deputy Public Prosecutor Christopher Ong told the court on Tuesday (Sept 20) morning. He was responding to the arguments against conviction put forth by the six CHC leaders at the centre of a multi-million dollar financial scandal.

In October last year, the six CHC leaders were convicted of misappropriating millions in church funds to fuel the pop music career of CHC senior pastor Kong Hee's wife, Ms Ho Yeow Sun, in a church mission known as the Crossover Project.

The court found that they had invested $24 million from CHC's building fund in bogus bonds from music production company Xtron and glass-maker Firna, but this money was, in fact, used to fund the Crossover Project.

Later, another $26 million was used to cover up the initial misdeed.

continue reading here : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/city-harvest-trial-church-leaders-weave-web-of-lies-to-deceive-church-members

sadfa
20-09-2016, 09:12 PM
City Harvest trial: Church leaders weave web of lies to deceive church members, auditors, lawyers, says DPP

Published 6 hours ago

Danson Cheong

SINGAPORE - The six City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders deceived church members, auditors and lawyers, and weaved a web of deceit to subvert the church's internal governance bodies.

That was what Deputy Public Prosecutor Christopher Ong told the court on Tuesday (Sept 20) morning. He was responding to the arguments against conviction put forth by the six CHC leaders at the centre of a multi-million dollar financial scandal.

In October last year, the six CHC leaders were convicted of misappropriating millions in church funds to fuel the pop music career of CHC senior pastor Kong Hee's wife, Ms Ho Yeow Sun, in a church mission known as the Crossover Project.

Later, another $26 million was used to cover up the initial misdeed.

continue reading here : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/city-harvest-trial-church-leaders-weave-web-of-lies-to-deceive-church-members

I don't understand these cb DPP.

Seems like the heavier the sentence, the more they get paid. Or are they trying to impress the garbagement, by acting like old man.

And shanmugam last time defence lawyer. Now he happy the sentence is heavier n heavier?

I hope all these cb get retribution one day n get hanging for littering n 50 strokes for spitting.

skyleon
21-09-2016, 08:59 PM
'Fraud of the worst kind': Prosecutors seek stiffer jail terms for City Harvest leaders

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan
Posted 21 Sep 2016 12:40
Updated 21 Sep 2016 19:36

SINGAPORE: Six City Harvest Church leaders who "committed fraud of the worst kind" should be put away for longer, prosecutors argued on Wednesday (Sep 21).

They said the trial judge had been too lenient and had "abandoned and ignored" sentencing guidelines by failing to take into account the massive amount of monies involved, among other aggravating factors.

The trial judge had "untethered his sentencing from his moorings", resulting in sentences that are manifestly inadequate, prosecutors said. He had also given "undue weight" to mitigating factors, including that the offenders caused no permanent loss to the church and did not gain personally from their crimes, they argued.

Refuting the points, prosecutors said the six had "knowingly put CHC's interests (and monies) at risk" by diverting S$24 million into sham bonds, which they knew they could not repay.

They misappropriated another S$26 million to cover up the first amount so auditors would not find out. This S$26 million was "obtained through external loans", and not through any plans the six put in place to ensure no church monies would be lost, Deputy Public Prosecutor Christopher Ong told the court.

DPP Ong also pointed out the trial judge had found "Kong Hee had benefitted indirectly, because his wife Sun Ho was the direct beneficiary of the sham investments".

continue reading here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fraud-of-the-worst-kind-prosecutors-seek-stiffer-jail-terms-for/3144082.html

skyleon
21-09-2016, 09:06 PM
City Harvest appeal: Judges question if Crossover Project ‘genuinely endorsed’

By Amanda Lee

Published: 2:29 PM, September 21, 2016

Updated: 6:54 PM, September 21, 2016

SINGAPORE – As the prosecution made its arguments for longer sentences for the six present and former City Harvest Church leaders in court on Wednesday (Sept 21), the judges presiding over the appeal raised the issue of the level of support from members of the church for the Crossover Project - using church co-founder Ho Yeow Sun’s secular pop music to evangelise.

Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin, one of the three judges hearing the appeal, asked if the Crossover Project was "genuinely endorsed" by the general body of the church and whether the church was told the full purpose of the project.

Justice Chan Seng Onn questioned how church members were informed of the project, which was financed with S$24 million from CHC's building fund through sham bonds, while another S$26 million was used to cover up the move.

"Did they ask the congregation if they support the crossover ... through (the) means (that was being done) ... or just the objective (which is through evangelism of Sun Ho's music)?," Justice Chan asked.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/city-harvest-appeal-judges-question-if-crossover-project-genuinely-endorsed

kiko
22-01-2017, 06:56 PM
The Case has been dragging far too long , when can put verdict to the case. Put judgement day on Pastor kong and his guilty members.

karl88
23-01-2017, 10:53 AM
This case still not over yet ? :confused:

Hornyong
23-01-2017, 01:12 PM
They can lock Serina in my house instead of Changi.

kt88_2
23-01-2017, 01:46 PM
I hv doubt n don understand court case, is who is laying the lawyer n cour fees?:confused:

skyleon
01-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Court to rule on City Harvest Church leaders' appeal next Friday

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan
Posted 31 Mar 2017 21:34
Updated 31 Mar 2017 23:35

SINGAPORE: The High Court will deliver a verdict on an appeal by leaders of City Harvest Church next Friday (Apr 7).

The six church leaders were sentenced to jail terms of between 21 months and eight years in November 2015 for misusing S$50 million of church funds - the largest amount of charity funds ever misappropriated in Singapore. The money was used to bankroll the secular music career of church founder Kong Hee's wife, Sun Ho.

All six launched appeals, arguing their convictions should be overturned.

Prosecutors have urged the High Court to not only uphold the convictions, but to increase the sentences as follows:

Kong Hee: From 8 years to 11 to 12 years' jail

Tan Ye Peng: From 5 years and 6 months to 11 to 12 years' jail

Chew Eng Han: From 6 years to 11 to 12 years' jail

Serina Wee: From 5 years to 11 to 12 years' jail

John Lam: From 3 years to 8 to 9 years' jail

Sharon Tan: From 21 months to 5 to 6 years' jail

continue reading here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/court-to-rule-on-city-harvest-church-leaders-appeal-next-friday/3641710.html

This matter still not resolved ? I wonder how much the accused have spent on legal fees ?

iWanker
01-04-2017, 05:29 PM
The accused never appeal for shorter sentences meh?

domkas
01-04-2017, 11:53 PM
It has been so long already and we still can see horse face and con hee enjoying life out there. The court should freeze their bank accounts and impound their passports to prevent them from going overseas as there is a chance for them to potentially flee the country.

skyleon
04-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Kong Hee and City Harvest leaders back in court for outcome of appeals: 5 things about the case

Published 5 hours ago

Updated 5 hours ago

Chew Hui Min

This article was first published on Sept 14, 2016, and updated on April 4, 2017

SINGAPORE - An end to what has been a marathon trial could be in sight, with the six City Harvest church (CHC) leaders convicted of misappropriating millions in church funds due back in the High Court on Friday (April 7).

An outcome of the appeals by the six, including CHC founder and senior pastor Kong Hee, and the prosecution is expected to be delivered at around 9.30am.

At the close of a five-day appeal hearing in September 2016, Justice Chan Seng Oon had called the Crossover Project, a church mission that used the funds to fuel the pop music career of Kong's wife Ho Yeow Sun, a "very extravagant" way of spreading the gospel.

The prosecution, which is calling for harsher sentences, said during the hearing that the six had not shown remorse for their actions.

Here's a recap of Singapore's largest charity financial scandal.

1. Who are the six church leaders?

Six church leaders were found guilty in October 2015 of misusing around $50 million in church funds. All six were handed jail terms of between 21 months and eight years in November.

Kong Hee, 52, CHC founder

Convicted of: Three charges of criminal breach of trust

Sentence: Eight years

Chew Eng Han, 55, former CHC fund manager

Convicted of: Six charges of criminal breach of trust and four charges of falsification of accounts

Sentence: Six years

Tan Ye Peng, 43 , founding member and deputy senior pastor

Convicted of: Six charges of criminal breach of trust and four charges of falsification of accounts

Sentence: Five and a half years

Serina Wee, 39, former CHC finance manager

Sentence: Five years

John Lam, 47, former CHC finance committee member

Convicted of: Three charges of criminal breach of trust

Sentence: Three years

Sharon Tan, 40, former CHC finance manager who took over from Wee

Convicted of: Three charges of criminal breach of trust and four charges of falsification of accounts

continue reading here : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/kong-hee-and-city-harvest-leaders-back-in-court-5-things-about-the-case

AnnaTommy
04-04-2017, 05:54 PM
It has been so long already and we still can see horse face and con hee enjoying life out there. The court should freeze their bank accounts and impound their passports to prevent them from going overseas as there is a chance for them to potentially flee the country.

Horse face waiting to meet Bull head?

domkas
05-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Horse face waiting to meet Bull head?
Haha most probably. I also think that the court is trying to delay the hearings in hope of people forgetting about this case. Don't forget that most of the judges are Christians themselves and maybe they are CHC members too, thus trying undertable means to clear the charges.

r.fowler
06-04-2017, 04:37 PM
quite sad when serina is getting the most heat while her master has a slap on his wrist... worst of all, horse face has nothing!

skyleon
06-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Convicted City Harvest Church leaders back in court on Friday for results of appeal

Published: 3:45 PM, April 6, 2017

Updated: 4:44 PM, April 6, 2017

SINGAPORE — Six former City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders convicted of committing what prosecutors called “the largest misappropriation of charity funds in Singapore’s legal history” will be back in the Supreme Court on Friday (April 7) to hear the results of their appeal against their convictions and sentences for misappropriating S$50.6 million worth of church funds.

The judgement is expected to be delivered around 9.30am. Here’s a snapshot of the case:

KEY PLAYERS:

- CHC’s founder-pastor Kong Hee; sentenced to eight years’ jail

- Kong’s former second-in-command Tan Ye Peng; sentenced to five years and six months’ jail

- former church board member John Lam; sentenced to three years’ jail

- former church fund manager Chew Eng Han; sentenced to six years’ jail

- former church finance manager Serina Wee; sentenced to five years’ jail

- former church finance manager Sharon Tan; sentenced to 21 months’ jail

THE CASE:

In October 2015, the six were found guilty of misusing church funds to finance the pop music career of Kong’s wife Ho Yeow Sun — better known as Sun Ho — via the church’s Crossover Project, which aimed to use her music to evangelise.

They were found to have invested S$24 million of church building funds to buy sham bonds from music production company Xtron and glass manufacturer Firna to do so, and later misused another S$26.6 million to cover up the first sum. They were convicted of varying counts of criminal breach of trust and falsification of accounts. All six appealed against their convictions and sentences.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/convicted-city-harvest-church-leaders-back-court-friday-results-appeal

iluvbreast
07-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Power!! All had jail terms reduced! :eek:

wangga
07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Power!! All had jail terms reduced! :eek:

Power of money.

iluvbreast
07-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Power of money.

For Kong Hee it is God's will

HddASA
07-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Power of money.

Exact right words.

seanylit
07-04-2017, 11:41 AM
yep.. he is guilty .. but nooooot thaaaaat guilty.. so got reduction in sentencing... *phui*

seanylit
07-04-2017, 11:42 AM
say... since he is a "christian"... if i walk up to him and spit in his face... immediately i ask for his forgiveness, he should forgive me right?

skyleon
07-04-2017, 05:24 PM
City Harvest appeal: Kong Hee, 5 former church leaders given lower jail terms

By

Siau Ming En

AND

Alfred Chua

Published: 10:00 AM, April 7, 2017

Updated: 4:29 PM, April 7, 2017

SINGAPORE – All six former City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders were given shorter jail terms after the High Court reduced their criminal breach of trust by an agent charges to a lesser one on Friday (April 7). Their new sentences now range from seven months to three years and six months' jail.

From eight years, CHC founder and senior pastor Kong Hee, 52, had his sentence cut to three years and six months. Former CHC fund manager Chew Eng Han, 56, had his term reduced to three years and four months, down from six years.

Deputy senior pastor Tan Ye Peng, 44, got three years and two months, down from five years and six months.

Former CHC finance manager Serina Wee, 40, had her term cut to two years and six months, down from five years; whereas former CHC finance committee member John Lam, 49, was sentenced to one year and six months, reduced from three years.

Finally, former CHC finance manager Sharon Tan, 41, received the shortest sentence of seven months' jail instead of the original 21 months' term.

Delivering the verdict on behalf of the three-judge panel on Friday was Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin, who said that by majority, the court has decided to allow the six leaders’ appeals against their convictions “only to the limited extent”. In a two-one split decision, Justice Chan Seng Onn held a different view from Judge Chao and Justice Woo Bih Li.

Judge Chao said the court did not think that the six should be convicted for the criminal breach of trust by an agent under Section 409 of the Penal Code and reduced it to that of criminal breach of trust under Section 406, which carries a lower maximum sentence.

In addition, the court found significant mitigating factors, which included the lack of personal gain on the six former leaders’ part, as accepted by the prosecution, said Judge Chao.

The court accepted that the leaders had acted in what they considered to be the best interests of CHC, where the sham investment charges are concerned, as this would have advanced the church’s interests by allowing them evangelise through the Crossover project.

When the six were first convicted of misappropriating church funds in 2015 after a long-running trial which started in 2013, the lower court had found that the Crossover project was financed with S$24 million from the church building fund through sham bonds, while another S$26 million was used to cover up the move. The project had tried to use Kong’s wife Ho Yeow Sun’s secular pop music to evangelise.

The present case should not be viewed as a “sinister and malicious” attempt on the leaders’ part to strip the church of funds for their own purposes, added Judge Chao on Friday.

While the leaders have resorted to deceit and lies to hide the use of the church’s building funds for the Crossover, including inflating Ho Yeow Sun’s success, he noted that the leaders were acting in what they “genuinely believed to be in CHC’s interest”.

“Thus, despite the fact that a large amount of funds from CHC was misappropriated, which would ordinarily have attracted a sentence at the higher end of the sentencing spectrum, we would allow for a significant discount given the exceptional mitigating factors in the present case,” he said.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/chc-appeals-against-convictions-successful-former-church-leaders-given-lower-jail-terms

They must have spent a lot on lawyers' fees .

Freacher
07-04-2017, 05:28 PM
They must have spent a lot on lawyers' fees .

I suspect they spent even more on the judge :rolleyes:

skyleon
07-04-2017, 05:38 PM
I suspect they spent even more on the judge :rolleyes:

If I am not wrong there are 3 judges today .

jacky43
07-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I said to an old friend, corruption is never serious compare to robbery, rape and murder. He corrected me laws is to protect human beings. They have done wrong they are deal within the laws and orders of this country.

And I will not judge them for their times at jail being too long, if I had invest in crossover project and, believe in them that I will made $.

I knew I had passed the wrong judgement. There should never be a final verdict. Nor a seven years court case.

iLoveSpain
07-04-2017, 11:10 PM
If I am not wrong there are 3 judges today .

Each judge receive less?

sammylebsian
09-04-2017, 12:04 PM
what will happened to serina wee 2 weeks later when she reported to serve her sentence?

anyone know the sop?
go to court and handscuffed
then enter the black police car
bring to changi female prison
inside the room she will be asked to own self strip naked or strip by warden?
her bra and thong cannot continue wear right?
strip alone or mass stripping assume that day have 5 female prisonors go in?

nowadays must spread pussy and asshole to be checked by female warden?

shaving of pussy and armpits hair allowed?

how many times female prisoner need to strip naked a day ?

will she meet Sharon tan inside during meal time or separated canteen?

will she be bully in cell?
I heard sg cell very discipline.no chance for butch to attack her compare to other countries(is hell inside).

can a rich tai tai survived under harsh conditions like this?:
no water heater
smell each other shitting & period
smell each other body ordour (cannot shave armpits right,hot and humid inside)
drink from toilet flush system
no king koil
no skin moisturizer
short hair
no branded bra maintance the breasts
strips many times a day
wear ugly clothing
bully by cell mates

jsingh85
09-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Maybe the judges are also from CHC?

siamkia49
09-04-2017, 01:10 PM
The best thing about this case is that the person who benefited from the misused fund is not found guilty.. not even a suspect in the 1st place.

hamandegg
09-04-2017, 07:42 PM
The best thing about this case is that the person who benefited from the misused fund is not found guilty.. not even a suspect in the 1st place.

The one who's all the while enjoying in USA? :D

siamkia49
09-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Is she in US? I don't know cos I'm not her follower.
I'm talking about Sun wHOre.

McAuley
09-04-2017, 08:24 PM
what will happened to serina wee 2 weeks later when she reported to serve her sentence?

anyone know the sop?

I heard sg cell very discipline.no chance for butch to attack her compare to other countries(is hell inside).

no water heater
no king koil
no skin moisturizer
short hair
strips many times a day
wear ugly clothing
bully by cell mates

Wahahaa so detailed? :D

sadfa
09-04-2017, 09:36 PM

If u r a ger n a gong guy spend tons on u on Michelin food n branded goods n holidays n turns out he embezzle money to do so, you must go to jail ma
_______
Exchange points go jail ma

sadfa
09-04-2017, 09:38 PM

anyone know the sop?

no water heater
no king koil
no skin moisturizer
short hair
strips many times a day
wear ugly clothing
bully by cell mates

Serina tai tai meh.
I don't even think her husband is high flier like TNG pei shit's.

Serina is those English Ed potato LA. Those simple Chinese can't speak also.
Only those dumb otaku love her
______
Exchange points mistaken ma

PeaceButterfly
09-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Is she in US? I don't know cos I'm not her follower.
I'm talking about Sun wHOre.

Sun wHOre .... what a fitting name :D

sadfa
09-04-2017, 10:50 PM

Don't know what this at best d grade entertainer doing in USA.

Even the locals who are much better n more marketable than her also can't get top jobs on TV , movies n release records.
She stay there do fuck
______
EXCHANGE POINTS d grade ma

skyleon
10-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Govt studying ways to take City Harvest case further

By Koh Swee Fang Valerie

Published: 4:00 AM, April 10, 2017

Updated: 6:50 AM, April 10, 2017

SINGAPORE - Usually, when the High Court has decided on a matter like the City Harvest Church case, there is no further appeal, but there are some avenues to take this matter further, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said yesterday.

The Government is waiting, however, for the Attorney-General’s Chambers to study what is possible “in specific contexts”.

On Friday, the High Court reduced the six former church leaders’ sentences to jail terms ranging from seven months to three and a half years, which Mr Shanmugam said was “far too low”.

Among other things, the case can be brought to the Court of Appeal through a criminal reference application, relating to questions of law and public interest, for example.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore-govt-studying-ways-take-city-harvest-case-further

firepost
10-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Four men went to rob a bank and used $$ on a prostitute. The prostitute also a suspect?

firepost
10-04-2017, 10:21 AM
If u r a ger n a gong guy spend tons on u on Michelin food n branded goods n holidays n turns out he embezzle money to do so, you must go to jail ma
_______

If it's "dirty $$", then will she be charged for "washing" the dirty $$"?
Of course she can say doesn't know anything.

pisai
10-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Four men went to rob a bank and used $$ on a prostitute. The prostitute also a suspect?

Wtf very good analogy!! :D :D

Boarding
10-04-2017, 02:37 PM
I agreed with my friend and i quote him

"End of day the court won been paid millions for appeal. No money cannot appeal and Justice is out of our reach."

Tai_zi21
10-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Scam 50 millions dollars and u only get to sit 3.5 years jail time only?

Very worth it deal for me...

skyleon
10-04-2017, 05:31 PM
City Harvest case: Prosecution questions High Court decision on sentences

Posted 10 Apr 2017 16:38
Updated 10 Apr 2017 16:51

SINGAPORE: The prosecution in the City Harvest case has filed a "criminal reference" to the Court of Appeal, to clarify the law under which the High Court made its decision to cut the jail terms of all six church leaders, said the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) in a statement on Monday (Apr 10).

The High Court had on Friday cut the jail terms of all six City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders after convicting them of reduced charges.

The six, including church founder and pastor Kong Hee were found guilty in 2015 of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds, and convicted of the most aggravated form of Criminal Breach of Trust (CBT) under section 409 of the Penal Code.

However, in a split decision on Friday, the High Court convicted them of a reduced charge under section 406 of the Penal Code - the least aggravated form of CBT for which the punishment is up to seven years’ jail.

"Having carefully considered the written grounds, the prosecution is of the view that there are questions of law of public interest that have arisen out of the High Court’s decision, including and in particular, whether a director or a member of the governing body of a company or organisation who is entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property, is so entrusted in the way of his business as an agent for the purposes of section 409 of the Penal Code," said the AGC in its statement.

It added: "The prosecution has accordingly filed a Criminal Reference today, to refer these questions of law to the Court of Appeal.

"If the Court of Appeal answers the questions referred in accordance with the prosecution’s submissions, the prosecution intends to request that the Court of Appeal exercises its powers under section 397(5) to reinstate the appellants’ original convictions under section 409 of the Penal Code and make necessary and consequential orders in relation to the sentences given."

continue reading here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-case-prosecution-questions-high-court-decision-on/3666578.html

And so the saga continues . To be honest to spread the Gospel you do not need such a large sum to do it . There are other ways to reach out .

SiaSuay
10-04-2017, 08:15 PM
This case gets more and more interesting to watch . :D

sadfa
10-04-2017, 09:33 PM
If it's "dirty $$", then will she be charged for "washing" the dirty $$"?
Of course she can say doesn't know anything.

Please LA. Only out of touch Garbagement come up with argument that SB must know how SD make his money.

If u are SB n busy sucking cock, will you ask SB his money is legitimate??

100% SB just take the money la
_____
Exchange points lame argument mA

blackface
10-04-2017, 09:40 PM

"End of day the court won been paid millions for appeal. No money cannot appeal and Justice is out of our reach."

So who is your friend ?

sadfa
10-04-2017, 09:41 PM
City Harvest case: Prosecution questions High Court decision on sentences

Posted 10 Apr 2017 16:38
Updated 10 Apr 2017 16:51

SINGAPORE: The prosecution in the City Harvest case has filed a "criminal reference" to the Court of Appeal, to clarify the law under which the High Court made its decision to cut the jail terms of all six church leaders, said the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) in a statement on Monday (Apr 10).

The High Court had on Friday cut the jail terms of all six City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders after convicting them of reduced charges.

The six, including church founder and pastor Kong Hee were found guilty in 2015 of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds, and convicted of the most aggravated form of Criminal Breach of Trust (CBT) under section 409 of the Penal Code.

However, in a split decision on Friday, the High Court convicted them of a reduced charge under section 406 of the Penal Code - the least aggravated form of CBT for which the punishment is up to seven years’ jail.

"Having carefully considered the written grounds, the prosecution is of the view that there are questions of law of public interest that have arisen out of the High Court’s decision, including and in particular, whether a director or a member of the governing body of a company or organisation who is entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property, is so entrusted in the way of his business as an agent for the purposes of section 409 of the Penal Code," said the AGC in its statement.

It added: "The prosecution has accordingly filed a Criminal Reference today, to refer these questions of law to the Court of Appeal.

"If the Court of Appeal answers the questions referred in accordance with the prosecution’s submissions, the prosecution intends to request that the Court of Appeal exercises its powers under section 397(5) to reinstate the appellants’ original convictions under section 409 of the Penal Code and make necessary and consequential orders in relation to the sentences given."

continue reading here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-case-prosecution-questions-high-court-decision-on/3666578.html

And so the saga continues . To be honest to spread the Gospel you do not need such a large sum to do it . There are other ways to reach out .

They already spend millions on suntec.
Wat else u want them to spend on
______
Exchange points must spend ma

sadfa
10-04-2017, 09:43 PM

Wtf yr fren saying.
100% the court not been paid millions for appeal.

OR yr fren Is you
_______
Exchange points know wat you saying ma

sadfa
10-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Scam 50 millions dollars and u only get to sit 3.5 years jail time only?

Very worth it deal for me...

Didn't scam 50 million la.

Spend 25 on sun hos career n 25 million to plug the gap.

And 25 million wasn't spend on condos n bentleys n lear jets. Can b said 25 million spend on church related matters
_______
Exchange points scam ma

sadfa
10-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Govt studying ways to take City Harvest case further

By Koh Swee Fang Valerie

Published: 4:00 AM, April 10, 2017

Updated: 6:50 AM, April 10, 2017

SINGAPORE - Usually, when the High Court has decided on a matter like the City Harvest Church case, there is no further appeal, but there are some avenues to take this matter further, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said yesterday.

The Government is waiting, however, for the Attorney-General’s Chambers to study what is possible “in specific contexts”.

On Friday, the High Court reduced the six former church leaders’ sentences to jail terms ranging from seven months to three and a half years, which Mr Shanmugam said was “far too low”.

Among other things, the case can be brought to the Court of Appeal through a criminal reference application, relating to questions of law and public interest, for example.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore-govt-studying-ways-take-city-harvest-case-further

Shanmugam should just shut his mouth up

When he was lawyer n if he represent the church, will he say sentence too short or secretly tell ag to appeal heavier sentence. Or he will tell church leaders to keep pleading guilty.
________
Exchange points keep quiet ma

skyleon
11-04-2017, 08:43 AM
City Harvest case: AGC seeks clarity on High Court ruling

By Kelly Ng

Published: 5:09 PM, April 10, 2017

Updated: 12:30 AM, April 11, 2017

SINGAPORE — With an eye on seeking heavier punishments for six former City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders, the Public Prosecutor is asking the highest court of the land to address “questions of law of public interest” in the High Court’s landmark decision last Friday (April 7), which saw their jail sentences for criminal breach of trust slashed significantly.

Specifically, the Public Prosecutor wants to know through this process, called a Criminal Reference, whether a director or member of an organisation’s governing body who has been entrusted with property should not be considered as “an agent” under Section 409 of the Penal Code, as the High Court had found.

“If the Court of Appeal answers the questions referred in accordance with the Prosecution’s submissions, the Prosecution intends to request that the Court of Appeal ... reinstate the appellants’ original convictions under section 409 of the Penal Code and make necessary and consequential orders in relation to the sentences given,” the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) said in a press release on Monday (April 10).

The AGC’s move came after Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam told reporters over the weekend that “the matter is not over yet”, and the Government was considering taking further steps following the High Court ruling. Stressing the need to uphold its “zero-tolerance approach” towards corruption, he added that the decision would have “serious implications” on future graft cases.

The High Court had ruled, in a split decision, that the church leaders should have been charged with plain criminal breach of trust (Section 406 of the Penal Code), which carries a lower maximum punishment.

Two of the three judges presiding over the case found that an “agent” under Section 409 must refer to “professional agents” — who offer their agency services as a “commercial activity” — which church founder Kong Hee and his five accomplices were not.

The third judge, however, felt that directors are subject to onerous fiduciary duties, and are in a position of trust “as much as or even more so than” agents like bankers, brokers and attorneys.

Under Section 406, the maximum penalty is imprisonment of seven years, or a fine, or both. Section 409 carries a harsher maximum sentence of 20 years and/or a fine.

After the sentencing, the court granted requests from Kong, his former second-in-command Tan Ye Peng, former church board member John Lam, former church investment manager Chew Eng Han, and former church finance manager Serina Wee to defer their sentences for two weeks so that they can celebrate Easter with their families. Ms Sharon Tan, who was also formerly the church’s finance manager, was granted two months deferment as her family is moving to the United States.

When contacted on Monday, Chew said he would request a stay of the sentence, pending the criminal reference. Lawyers representing Tan Ye Peng and Wee said they are still studying the options available to their clients. The other parties declined to comment.

FILING A CRIMINAL REFERENCE

A Criminal Reference is a type of legal hearing before the apex court, which is limited to criminal cases in which a question of law of public interest arises in a High Court decision on an appeal.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/chc-case-prosecution-applied-refer-high-court-ruling-apex-court

siamkia49
11-04-2017, 10:57 AM
_______

Touché....

ComplainKing
11-04-2017, 11:05 AM
I thought someone said that if investigations and or court proceedings are on going one cannot even talk about it . By talking about it would interpreted as interference and contempt of court . Can anyone please verify it ?

skyleon
20-04-2017, 05:46 AM
Kong Hee apologises for ‘unwise decisions’, says ‘at peace’ with jail term

Published: 10:55 PM, April 19, 2017

Updated: 11:10 PM, April 19, 2017

SINGAPORE — City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee, who will start his jail sentence on Friday (April 21), issued an apology on Wednesday to his church and to the public for “unwise decisions” he had made in the past, and said he was now “at peace” with his prison time.

In a statement issued to the media on Wednesday night, Kong said he was “filled with grief and regret” over his mistakes and asked those he had hurt for forgiveness.

“To all I have disappointed, stumbled and hurt in my church, in the Body of Christ at large, and in the public, I am truly sorry,” he said.

“I have, in these past weeks since the release of the judgment, reflected deeply. I have come to terms with what is ahead and am at peace.”

Kong, together with five other City Harvest church leaders were convicted in 2015 for misappropriating S$50 million of church funds.

Initially, Kong was given a jail sentence of eight years, but that was reduced to 3 years and six months in a High Court verdict on April 7.

In his statement, Kong said he was “thankful” that the High Court had found there was no sinister or malicious plan in relation to the misappropriated funds.

“I had acted in the church’s best interest, something which the Court also accepted, although I accept responsibility for the manner in which I had sought to bring the Crossover Project to fruition in using the building fund,” he said.

Kong added that the last seven years – since the case was brought to light - had been immensely challenging for him and his family.

“I am extremely saddened by the prospect of having to leave my family and church, and yearn to see them again after serving my sentence.

“Over the last few weeks, I have tried to spend as much time as possible with my family, whom I will miss very dearly. I was also grateful to have the opportunity to celebrate this Easter with my church and all its members,” he said.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/kong-hee-apologises-unwise-decisions-says-peace-jail-term

skyleon
20-04-2017, 05:48 AM
CHC case: Chew Eng Han defers jail sentence, Sharon Tan to start hers tomorrow

By Alfred Chua

Published: 4:00 AM, April 20, 2017

SINGAPORE — City Harvest Church’s (CHC) former fund manager Chew Eng Han will be the only one who is not attending the Criminal Reference hearing before the apex court as a prison inmate, after a High Court yesterday granted his application to defer his jail sentence.

The other five church leaders convicted of misappropriating millions in church funds — including ex-finance manager Sharon Tan who yesterday applied successfully to cut short her initial two-month jail deferment — will surrender to the authorities tomorrow.

Chew, who was sentenced to three years and four months’ jail, was granted an additional deferment until the Court of Appeal has ruled on the Criminal Reference case, brought by the prosecution, to clarify the law under which the CHC six leaders were convicted.

A Criminal Reference hearing is limited to criminal cases in which a question of law of public interest arises in a High Court decision on an appeal.

Chew, 56, told the High Court yesterday that he needed “time and resources” to prepare for the filing of a Criminal Reference. He was supposed to start his sentence tomorrow following a two-week deferment.

Chew, who is representing himself, said he had “thought about (the verdict)”, and will “raise certain criminal references to the Court of Appeal”.

Chew has until May 5 to apply for leave to refer a question of law to the Court of Appeal. If this leave is granted, he can then file a Criminal Reference.

The High Court judges — Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin, Justice Woo Bih Li and Justice Chan Seng Onn — granted Chew a stay of his sentence, pending the outcome of the prosecution’s Criminal Reference hearing, or the outcome of his own proceedings.

However, the judges turned down Chew’s request to travel to Perth, Australia, to visit his wife and daughter.

As for ex-finance manager Tan, the prosecution led by Deputy Public Prosecutor Christopher Ong, had argued that she should start her seven-month jail sentence after the apex court had made its decision on the Criminal Reference.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/chc-case-chew-eng-han-defers-jail-sentence-sharon-tan-start-hers-tomorrow

arsenal168
20-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Serina Wee, the beautiful going to jail.

Sigh...Hard to picture her in jail clothes.

一失足成千古恨😔

sadfa
20-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Serina Wee, the beautiful going to jail.

Sigh...Hard to picture her in jail clothes.

一失足成千古恨😔

Don't worry.

Important thing is go in come out eyes open big.
See through garbagement.
So when they're finally free, stupid sporeans who laugh at them are still in their prisons.

And Kong used to tell ppl to vote garbagement.
Now he should tell sporeans to depose garbagement

When thousands n their families vote against garbagement, that's Kong's best revenge
_____
Exchange points revenge ma

skyleon
21-04-2017, 09:27 AM
City Harvest Church’s Kong Hee to start serving 3.5-year jail term today

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan
Posted 21 Apr 2017 08:49
Updated 21 Apr 2017 08:50

SINGAPORE: City Harvest Church’s pastor Kong Hee and four others convicted of misappropriating S$50 million from the megachurch’s coffers are expected to surrender themselves on Friday morning (Apr 21) at the State Courts and transported to prison to start serving their jail terms, ranging from seven months to three and a half years.

Kong, 52, had his eight-year sentence reduced to three and a half years’ jail on Apr 7 by the High Court. Five accomplices also saw their sentences cut.

All but Chew are expected to begin serving their sentences on Friday.

Chew was granted a stay by the High Court until the Court of Appeal decides questions of law brought by the prosecution.

Chew said he plans to bring his case to the apex court too, and the deferment would allow him the time and resources he needs to conduct his own defence.

The six were convicted in 2015 after a 140-day trial and sentenced to between 21 months and eight years’ jail.

continue reading here : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-church-s-kong-hee-to-start-serving-3-5-year-jail/3692828.html

skyleon
21-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Don't worry.

Important thing is go in come out eyes open big.
See through garbagement.
So when they're finally free, stupid sporeans who laugh at them are still in their prisons.

And Kong used to tell ppl to vote garbagement.
Now he should tell sporeans to depose garbagement

When thousands n their families vote against garbagement, that's Kong's best revenge
_____
Exchange points revenge ma

Definitely the MIW will lose more votes because of this case . :)

Convolvulus
21-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Definitely the MIW will lose more votes because of this case . :)

Won't la, they'll give more freebies and smear opposition AGAIN

SiaSuay
21-04-2017, 08:09 PM
What have we learn from this whole episode ?

Well I sure would think three times before I donate any money to these institutions. I think there is certainly a cheaper way and more cost effective way to spread the good news . I would rather help the people in need in my own country . All religious institutions should be subject to internal and external audit .

sadfa
21-04-2017, 11:43 PM
What have we learn from this whole episode ?

Sporeans learn nothing LA.

The church or entity started from nothing by Kong.
The donations are largely because of him.
He didn't take the money for personal gains. He didn't use the donations to buy cars or house for himself or fuck pros

Despite her unsuitabilty, whos to say sun ho will definitely fail.
Hollywood is full of untalented but successful ppl. U think Madonna or Adele can really sing. Jackie Chan is richest Chinese entertainer but he can't act n sing terribly. No one can say a person will definitely fail

Kong as the ultimate boss made his judgement. For his church.
HOW IS THAT DIFFERENT FROM GARBAGEMENT???
How come garbagement can do all tht but Kong cannot.

But stupid sporeans stil sleeping.
They gloat at others but the day Is coming when garbagement will fix them.
Don't worry. The doom is coming la

And sporeans are judging how Kong's church spend their money.
Wtf! They know nothing as usual.

If Kong give rice n medicine to ASEAN countries, swee bo.
Stupid sporeans will say swee!!
But church wor. Include sermon n bible how?
To Muslims n Buddhists?
Stupid sporeans blur.
_____
Exchange points learn ma

arsenal168
22-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Well...Who are we to judge their religious ideals/intention?

But they pay the price for flouting the secular law.

I wonder why they dip into their Building Fund for this Cross-Over project.

If Kong Her starts a separate fund for this purpose & manage to convince his congregation to support it, they won't be in this situation today.

I think Kong Hee let his followers Serina, Sharon etc down.

sadfa
22-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Well...Who are we to judge their religious ideals/intention?

But they pay the price for flouting the secular law.

I wonder why they dip into their Building Fund for this Cross-Over project.

If Kong Her starts a separate fund for this purpose & manage to convince his congregation to support it, they won't be in this situation today.

I think Kong Hee let his followers Serina, Sharon etc down.

Until now stupid sporeans still don't know what's going on la.

They only PCC over serina n piss off Kong spent millions on Sun's music career

There's no issue in Kong pumping 25 million on sun hos music career. Garbagement isnt saying they should've spent 5 million max.
And Kong never lie n said big LA producer very impressed by her n Is personally funding her career. It's clear crossover project is under the church.

And its not possible for Kong to ask church for support for her music career la.
U think Sunday ppl go Church, Kong will say this is next years budget, pls vote n approve for me hor

And how he let ppl down.
U think he KNOWS he doing illegal things?
U think he sabo the rest n end up he jailed himself?? Or u think he got the rest to take the rap. Or u think this is criminal enterprise n all five conspire to commit crimes n they know they're doing criminal acts like money laundering or making scam phone calls
_____
Exchange points know whats going on ma

arsenal168
23-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Most of the times, I smiled at your sarcastic yet witty comments/views in various topics in many threads. U do have unique but valid pointers.

But for this latest comment of yours, I beg to differ.

Until now stupid sporeans still don't know what's going on la.

Singaporeans r not stupid...maybe some r but 别一根竹杆打翻整条船.

There's no issue in Kong pumping 25 million on sun hos music career. Garbagement isnt saying they should've spent 5 million max.
And Kong never lie...

A lot of people call LKY "Father of Singapore" but u seldom hear people say LKY is Singapore. The people r Singapore.

So true Kong Hee is the founder the CHC but people dun call him CHC. The tens of thousands followers, the body is CHC.

Without the congregation, there is no CHC.

They give 10% tithe & contribute(not donate) to their Building Fund & maybe some other miscellaneous church fund that they believe n support.

And its not possible for Kong to ask church for support for her music career la.
U think Sunday ppl go Church, Kong will say this is next years budget, pls vote n approve for me hor

This I agree with u. Even though in my earlier post, I said I pondered why Kong din set up a Cross-Over project fund, I already knew the answer. N as u said, the congregation probably may not be supportive in pouring millions of hard earn $ to support Sun Ho's music career though the leaders' intention was to spread the Gospel.

So Kong manipulated the Fund. R u saying he has the right to do that?

What happened to Transpanrecy? What happened to the wish of the congregation? So Kong knows best so he can do what he deems fit? Just like MIW tells Singaporean that they know what is best for Singapore, so shut up & follow?

Is that not what u detest most about MIW?🙄

And how he let ppl down.
U think he KNOWS he doing illegal things?
U think he sabo the rest n end up he jailed himself?? Or u think he got the rest to take the rap

Sigh...how old is Kong? How old r the 5 accused?

They have probably done many projects and deal with many agencies/ sectors over so many years.

How can u claim that they r naive, ignorant or innocent?

As I have said in my earlier post, we can't judge their religious ideals/intentions.

But they r paying the price for breaching the secular CBT law etc.

So they pay the price.

Kong as the leader of this Cross-Over project has to shoulder the blame & I say he let his congregation down as well as the 4 accused who supported him blindly.

I hope Kong learns his lesson of humbleness & may CHC grows stronger after this saga.

I wish them well.

skyleon
03-07-2017, 08:38 PM
City Harvest Church’s former leader application to refer legal questions to Apex Court dismissed

By Faris Mokhtar

Published: 7:55 PM, July 3, 2017

SINGAPORE — City Harvest Church’s (CHC) former fund manager Chew Eng Han’s hopes of challenging his conviction for criminal breach of trust was dashed, after he failed to convince the highest court of the land questions of law of public interest had arisen in the case.

Arguing his case without a lawyer, Chew raised 10 points, which, among others, questioned the lower court’s interpretation of the terms “misappropriation” and “wrongful loss” relating to a criminal breach of trust offence — which he and five other church leaders were found guilty of committing.

His opponent in the hearing was Deputy Attorney-General Hri Kumar Nair, who labelled Chew’s actions as a “back-door appeal”, which Mr Nair criticised, was launched by mounting a “root and branch assault” on the High Court’s decision.

The case, heard by Judges of Appeal Andrew Phang and Judith Prakash as well as Justice Quentin Loh, ruled that Chew’s points did not come close to meeting the threshold for the Court of Appeal to address, as they were either questions of fact or settled points of law.

Six of the former CHC leaders, including Chew, were convicted in 2015 of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds and were sentenced to jail terms of between 21 months and eight years.

However, following an appeal, a three-judge High Court panel reduced their jail sentences significantly in April this year. Excluding Chew, the other church leaders started serving their jail terms on April 21.

On Monday (July 3), Chew, 56, noted that the use of the church’s funds for the Crossover Project was for the church’s benefit, and hence, could not amount to misappropriation. He also asserted that there can be no wrongful loss in circumstances where the property — in this case the church’s money — would ultimately be returned to the owner. This should also be the case when the unauthorised use was for the purpose and benefit of the owner and that there may be a potential gain to the owner, he argued.

Responding, Mr Nair said Chew’s points were “blatant attempts” to challenge the findings made by the State Court and the High Court.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/city-harvest-churchs-former-leader-application-refer-legal-questions-apex-court-dismissed

skyleon
01-08-2017, 12:57 PM
City Harvest leaders back in court as prosecutor seeks clarification on April ruling

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan

By and Olivia Siong @OliviaSiongCNA
01 Aug 2017 11:38AM (Updated: 01 Aug 2017 11:44AM)

SINGAPORE: The six City Harvest Church (CHC) leaders convicted of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds appeared in court on Tuesday (Aug 1), after the public prosecutor sought to get clarification on April's ruling that saw their sentences reduced.

The latest hearing at the Court of Appeal will deal with a “criminal reference” the prosecution filed to clarify the law under which the High Court made its decision to cut the jail terms of all six church leaders. These include founder and pastor Kong Hee, senior pastor Tan Ye Peng, former secretary of the church’s management board John Lam, former fund manager Chew Eng Han and former finance managers Sharon Tan Shao Yuen and Serina Wee.

The CHC leaders arrived shortly before the hearing started at 10am. Aside from Chew, who is on bail pending the outcome of a separate appeal, they were handcuffed and dressed in purple prison jumpsuits.

Kong, who had a head of white hair cropped into a short crew cut, was the first to be led into the courtroom. The other two men, Lam and Tan, had their heads shaved while both women had their hair cut into short bobs.

All appeared to be in good spirits, and nodded and waved at some people in the public gallery. They also chatted among themselves.

Some of their family members were also seen in court. Kong’s wife, singer Ho Yeow Sun, was not present.

Public interest in the case remained high, with all 55 tickets for the public snapped up by 7am.

Members of the public who did not secure a ticket were seen waiting outside the courtroom for the chance to take the spot of anyone leaving the packed public gallery.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-leaders-back-in-court-as-prosecutor-seeks-9081186

Really this case still ongoing despite them already being in jail.

casinoking
02-08-2017, 11:58 PM
After 3&1/2 years, kong hee's hat sure green green

maxsee
03-08-2017, 07:45 AM
They should just jail Sun Ho....if there is one person more deserving then the rest to be in jail...it has to be her....:D

SiaSuay
03-08-2017, 07:17 PM
They should just jail Sun Ho....if there is one person more deserving then the rest to be in jail...it has to be her....:D

Yes she is the one who benefitted the most .

newyorker88
03-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Let's hope the judges up the jail term to the max. Wasting tax payer money n still try to plead innocent

SiaSuay
04-08-2017, 06:53 PM
The CHC members must be si beh tulan. :D

pandancake
05-08-2017, 08:03 PM
The CHC members must be si beh tulan. :D

No leh, some still think Kong Hee is god :D

newyorker88
05-08-2017, 09:03 PM
No leh, some still think Kong Hee is god D

That's why even more that the government must jail them longer. They are cheating people n brainwashing people to such extend. A Long jail term should be given to deter more such Kong hee wannabe

skyleon
31-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Chew throws in the towel over City Harvest civil suit

SELINA LUM, THE STRAITS TIMES

Aug 31, 2017 06:57 pm

Former City Harvest Church (CHC) fund manager Chew Eng Han, who has been sued by the church for almost $21 million, has decided to throw in the towel.

In a media statement late on Wednesday night (Aug 30), Chew, 57, said he has decided to stop contesting the suit after failing to reach an out-of-court settlement with the church board after negotiations for the "past few weeks".

Chew, who left CHC in June 2013 after 17 years, is one of six people - including founder Kong Hee - who have been convicted and sentenced to varying jail terms for misusing millions in church funds in a separate high-profile criminal case.

"I have instructed my lawyer Rajandran to drop all work and to let judgement be entered against Amac and myself. Besides the financial costs, I do not wish to go to court to fight against a church," he said in the statement.

"Furthermore, the church would be calling upon witnesses such as Kong Hee, Tan Ye Peng and John Lam, and I do not want to subject them to cross examination as they have already gone through enough."

Former City Harvest fund manager Chew Eng Han rebuts the church's allegations against him

Kong, 52, deputy senior pastor Tan, 44, and former finance committee member Lam, 49, are are currently serving their jail terms.

In October 2014, the church filed a civil suit against Chew and his company, Amac Capital Partners, seeking almost $21 million in unreturned investments, including $4.6 million in interest.

The church said it agreed to Amac's request for more time to pay back money given in four tranches beginning between November 2009 and May 2010, along with the promised interest. But it also increased the interest rates.

It said that even though Amac returned some of the money, it was still owed $20.99 million.

In a written defence filed a month later, Chew rejected the claims.

He said the church had set up the special opportunities fund in 2009 so it could lend "surplus funds" to Mr Akihiko Matsumura of biotech firm Transcu Group, which has since changed its name to OLS Enterprise.

continue reading here : http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/chew-throws-towel-over-city-harvest-civil-suit

skyleon
26-11-2017, 07:20 PM
City Harvest case: Sharon Tan released, Serina Wee & John Lam soon eligible for home detention

Much depends on the Court of Appeal judgement.

By Chan Cheow Pong | November 25, 2017

You may be forgiven if you have lost track of the status of the high-profile City Harvest Church (CHC) case.

It has been more than seven months since church founder Kong Hee along with four of the other convicts in the CHC case – Sharon Tan, John Lam, Tan Ye Peng and Serina Wee, surrendered themselves on April 21 to State Courts to commence their prison sentences pending the outcome of a Criminal Reference filing at the Court of Appeal by the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC).

Quick recap of the case

Yes, it’s not over yet.

We know your head hurts, so here’s a quick recap of Singapore’s largest charity financial scandal and one of the longest running case in our judicial history:

•Oct. 2015: CHC leaders were found guilty of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds.
•They were originally sentenced to jail terms of between 8 years and 1 year 9 months, under the most aggravated form of Criminal Breach of Trust (CBT), which is Section 409 of the Penal Code1
•Apr 7, 2017: All six appealed against their convictions, and the High Court convicted them of a reduced charge under Section 406 of the Penal Code 2 , based on a split decision.
•This resulted in their jail sentences reduced by about half, ranging from three-and-a-half years to seven months.
•Aug 1, 2017: The public prosecutor appealed to reinstate the original convictions and the Court of Appeal reserved judgment. The apex court said it would deliver its judgment “in due course” but did not specify when.

1Section 406 carries a maximum punishment of 7 years’ jail and a fine.
2Section 409 provides for a maximum punishment of life imprisonment or up to 20 years’ jail and a fine.

Sharon Tan released

Under the Conditional Remission System and Mandatory Aftercare Scheme, most offenders will be released at the two-third mark of their sentence.

Based on this approach, this is what all six convicts would have serve:
•Kong Hee, 52, CHC founder, gets 3 years 6 months, reduced from 8 years
After remission: 2 years 4 months
•Chew Eng Han, 56, former CHC fund manager, gets 3 years 4 months, reduced from 6 years.
After remission: 2 years 2 months-plus 1
•Tan Ye Peng, 44 , deputy senior pastor, gets 3 years 2 months, reduced from 5 1/2 years.
After remission: 2 years 1 month-plus
•Serina Wee, 40, former CHC finance manager, gets 2 years 6 months, reduced from 5 years.
After remission:1 year 8 months
•John Lam, 49, former CHC finance committee member, gets 1 year 6 months, reduced from 3 years.

continue reading here : https://mothership.sg/2017/11/city-harvest-sharon-tan-serina-wee-john-lam-home-detention/

newyorker88
28-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Low price to pay for what they had done. Singapore will be full of con man soon. Since crime does pay.

skyleon
02-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Kong Hee ‘at peace’ with apex court’s verdict

By Wong Pei Ting and Neo Chai Chin

Published 31 January, 2018

Updated 01 February, 2018

Other former CHC leaders 'thankful' the case is over

SINGAPORE — The lawyers of City Harvest Church (CHC) founder Kong Hee said on Thursday (Feb 1) he is "at peace" with the apex court's decision to uphold the shorter jail terms of the six former CHC leaders, while the other five are mostly relieved that the long-drawn case has come to a close.

Earlier, Judge of Appeal Andrew Phang delivered the judgement for questions of law raised by prosecutors, agreeing with the High Court's majority ruling last April that the six should not be convicted under a more serious criminal breach of trust (CBT) charge under the Penal Code.

The five-judge Court of Appeal agreed with the High Court that an "agent" under Section 409 of the Penal Code does not include directors of corporations, governing board members, key officers of charities or officers of societies. An "agent" under Section 409 must refer to "professional agents", who offer their agency services as a "commercial activity" for profit – which the church leaders did not.

The six had a stoic look on their faces when the judge delivered the judgement, but later expressed relief and broke out into smiles.

continue reading here : http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/kong-hee-peace-apex-courts-verdict

skyleon
02-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Apex court upholds shorter jail terms for former City Harvest Church leaders

By Neo Chai Chin, Wong Pei Ting

Published 31 January, 2018

Updated 01 February, 2018

Verdict greeted with joy by church members, marks conclusion of long-running case

SINGAPORE — Six former City Harvest Church leaders convicted of misappropriation of church funds will not have to spend additional time behind bars, after the apex court ruled they should not be convicted for aggravated criminal breach of trust (CBT).

The Court of Appeal's ruling marks the end of the saga involving church founder Kong Hee and his five deputies, for which investigations began in 2010 and the trial started in 2013.

The verdict was met with relief in the dock, and wide smiles and hugs among church members who packed the public gallery on Thursday (Feb 1).

Judge of Appeal Andrew Phang, who delivered the judgment, said the apex court agreed with the High Court's 2-1 majority ruling last April.

The High Court had ruled that an "agent" under Section 409 of the Penal Code does not include directors of corporations, governing board members, key officers of charities or officers of societies.

Thursday's affirmation of the ruling means Section 409 has been wrongly interpreted on some occasions for the past 40 years.

During that time, there were 16 reported cases of directors convicted under the provision, Deputy Attorney-General Hri Kumar Nair had said in his arguments before the court last August.

But the High Court had noted that any erroneous interpretation of a provision, especially one that imposes criminal liability, must be corrected regardless of how entrenched it may have become.

continue reading here : https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/apex-court-upholds-shorter-jail-sentences-former-city-harvest-church-leaders

redzar
02-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Finally the case over . I wonder how come Kong Hee's wife was not charged ?

arsenal168
02-02-2018, 04:35 PM

1) Cos she not the DPP’s main target in this saga?

2) Or cos can’t find concrete evidence that she knew or was involved in this 乾坤大挪移?

Anyway, it is good that this saga is finally concluded & the church n her pple can move on.

Cuntworth
02-02-2018, 04:58 PM
1) Cos she not the DPP’s main target in this saga?

2) Or cos can’t find concrete evidence that she knew or was involved in this 乾坤大挪移?

Anyway, it is good that this saga is finally concluded & the church n her pple can move on.

When everybody had served their jail terms and be released... The whole CHC members will be lining up again to be brainwashed again by them. Cycle will be rerun again .

poundsilver
02-02-2018, 07:10 PM

You can plug something into her and get her charged . :D

Irrumare
03-02-2018, 01:00 AM
You can plug something into her and get her charged . :D

Is it a butt plug?

Cuntworth
04-02-2018, 10:13 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-E5SywuDWQ
Dun even understand anything abt the MV..:cool::rolleyes:

skyleon
05-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Government believes City Harvest sentences too low, will look at amending law: Shanmugam

05 Feb 2018 12:37PM (Updated: 05 Feb 2018 03:40PM)

SINGAPORE: The Government believes the City Harvest Church (CHC) sentences are too low, and will move to ensure legislation provides for higher penalties for senior officers who commit criminal breaches of trust (CBT), said Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam on Monday (Feb 5) in Parliament.

He was reflecting the Government's position on the apex court’s decision last week to uphold shorter jail terms for CHC founder Kong Hee and five other former church leaders accused of misusing church funds amounting to millions.

This resulted from a new interpretation of the Penal Code section governing CBT offences, which led to the Court of Appeal ruling that company directors, governing board members or key officers of charities and officers of societies who commit CBT could be jailed up to seven years - compared to employees being liable for a maximum 15 years imprisonment.

The Court of Appeal subsequently called for a policy review of CBT legislation and the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) said it would work with relevant ministries to do so.

Said Mr Shanmugam: “The Government’s policy is clear: If you are a senior officer, director in the organisation, you are in a position of greater trust. You have considerable authority to make decisions in relation to the organisation’s assets. If you abuse that trust, you should be more culpable, and you should be liable for more severe punishments, compared with an ordinary employee.”

“That's really common sense, and there can be no question about that.”

“It is now up to Parliament to amend the law,” he added. “And that we should do, soon. We hope to make the amendment together with the other wide ranging amendments to the Penal Code.”

“LET’S NOT ATTACK THE JUDGES”

Mr Shanmugam also addressed public dissatisfaction with the outcome, noting that “expressing one’s unhappiness with court decisions is fine – but it should not sink to the level of abuse, insult and contempt”.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/government-believes-city-harvest-sentences-too-low-will-look-at-9927828

skyleon
05-02-2018, 05:34 PM
'Fake news' about lawyer who defended City Harvest now an AGC matter, could be case of contempt

Law Minister K Shanmugam also says the police will take action against all other instances which “cross the threshold” into scandalising the courts.

05 Feb 2018 02:35PM (Updated: 05 Feb 2018 02:58PM)

SINGAPORE: The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) is looking into a piece of “fake news” relating to the City Harvest Church (CHC) saga as a case of contempt by scandalising the courts, said Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam on Monday (Feb 5) in Parliament.

After announcing the Government’s view of the sentences as “too low”, he was asked by Member of Parliament (MP) Gan Thiam Poh for his take on the public commenting how the CHC case was handled by a lawyer who is also an MP from the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) - Mr Edwin Tong of Marine Parade.

In response, Mr Shanmugam gave an example of a public Facebook group which last week circulated a doctored front page image of local Chinese tabloid Lianhe Wanbao. The original, translated title of “Outdated law ‘saved’ the accused from harsher penalties” had been changed to “PAP lawyer ‘saved’ the accused from harsher penalties”.

Mr Shanmugam said: “AGC takes the view that the suggestion from the fake title is that the PAP MP was responsible for an unfair, unjust outcome and the Courts have let off the defendants lightly because of him.

“The matter is with AGC and will be dealt with in accordance with the law.”

“This sort of attack based on deliberate faking is quite unacceptable,” he continued. “I cannot see how any reasonable person will justify such faking a legitimate expression of free speech.”

Earlier, Mr Shanmugam also said that attacks on the CHC judges “ascribing improper ulterior motives to their decision” was “a clear case of abusing the anonymity of the Net”.

“People who abuse judges, challenge their integrity, will be prosecuted if a case for contempt can be made out. Courts should be free to decide in accordance with what they believe the law to be, and criminal cases must be tried in the court of law - not in the court of public opinion.”

He added: “We don’t want to end up like the United Kingdom, where the press freely attacks the judiciary. You get newspaper headlines labelling judges as enemies of the people, because the courts had the temerity to decide in a way the media did not like. If we are not careful we will easily go down that route.”

“I’ve asked the police to take a serious view of those who scandalise court - not only for this case, if there are other comments which cross the threshold and are in contempt of court, our approach is that action will be taken,” Mr Shanmugam noted.

“In coming to a decision whether to prosecute for scandalising the courts, the factors will include assessing who said it, how seriously is the statement likely to be taken, how wide was the publication, and other relevant factors.”

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-lawyer-edwin-tong-fake-news-shanmugam-9928278

skyleon
06-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Minister K Shanmugam: Sun Ho is as innocent as a charity

February 5, 2018

Despite barking loudly about how he believe the Court let off the former City Harvest Church leaders too lightly, Law Minister K Shanmugam jumped to the defence of Kong Hee’s wife, Sun Ho, who was the sole recipient of the S$50 million fraud.

Referencing Sun Ho’s receiving the defrauded money to a “charity”, Minister K Shanmugam said:

“One has got to be careful about this. A beneficiary who receives proceeds without the appropriate knowledge does not automatically become a criminal. Supposing the person took the money and donated to another charity – does the recipient commit a criminal offence? We need to be careful.”

Church leader Sun Ho spent S$50 million of church funds on her doomed singing career, and the scam eventually become insolvent as more funds are needed to compensate for her terrible singing. Interestingly, the Singapore Court actually believed her words when she said she thought the S$50 million were actual investments into her “talent”. Sun Ho was not charged, while 6 other church leaders, including her pastor husband Kong Hee, were jailed between 6 months and 3½ years.

Law Minister K Shanmugam called for Singaporeans to “accept the sentence because it is the law”:

continue reading here : http://statestimesreview.com/2018/02/05/minister-k-shanmugam-sun-ho-is-as-innocent-as-a-charity/

skyleon
21-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Ex-City Harvest Church fund manager Chew Eng Han arrested after trying to flee Singapore by boat

By Aqil Haziq Mahmud @AqilHaziqCNA

21 Feb 2018 05:19PM (Updated: 21 Feb 2018 06:29PM)

SINGAPORE: Former City Harvest Church fund manager Chew Eng Han was arrested on Wednesday morning (Feb 21) for attempting to flee the country in a sampan, the police said at a news conference.

The 57-year-old, one of six church leaders convicted in 2015 of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds, was due to turn himself in on Thursday to begin his jail term.

Another man, 53-year-old Tan Poh Teck, who was was piloting the motorised sampan, was also arrested. It is understood that Tan had a fish farm near the spot where they were arrested.

In a split decision by the High Court last April, Chew had his original six-year jail sentence lowered to three years and four months. Chew is the only one of the six who has not started serving his jail term for criminal breach of trust and falsification of accounts.

Three Police Coast Guard boats intercepted the motorised sampan in the sea off Pulau Ubin at about 8.47am on Wednesday after acting on a tip-off. About S$5,000 and fishing equipment was found on the boat. ​​​​​​

The people in the boat said they were going fishing when they were surrounded by the Police Coast Guard vessels about 750m away from the Pulau Ubin jetty, Channel NewsAsia understands. However, preliminary police investigations suggest the boat was headed to Malaysia.

It is understood that the two men on the sampan did not resist arrest.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-church-chew-eng-han-arrested-trying-to-flee-9977688

He really dam stupid .

Cuntworth
21-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Dumb twit :D
Trying to escape by water might as well go under the water snorkeling all the way better

robinyates
21-02-2018, 07:49 PM
This only confirms 1 thing . He is guilty as hell .

Susanne
21-02-2018, 08:39 PM
This only confirms 1 thing . He is guilty as hell .

Confirm + chop . Guilty go hell .

Jinzo
22-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Really have $5000.00 cash with him just to go fishing ?

ibanezjem555
22-02-2018, 05:03 PM
His $5000 is to buy passage out only. Stash the cash somewhere overseas already.

Coast guard boat has radar that can detect anything just above the waves at long distances. But Mat Salamat float across, the boats like blur blob !

Still in this case, 3 boats chun chun can converge so efficiently and arrest target.

Wonder who gave the tipoff ? :D

skyleon
22-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Jumping bail to be an offence under proposed changes to Criminal Procedure Code: Shanmugam

22 Feb 2018 04:59PM (Updated: 22 Feb 2018 05:32PM)

SINGAPORE: Jumping bail will be made a criminal offence, as part of proposed changes to the Criminal Procedure Code, said Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam on Thursday (Feb 22).

There will also be stricter criteria for those who want to post bail, and authorities are considering electronic tagging to monitor those on bail, he added.

Speaking at the Police Cantonment Complex, Mr Shanmugam made clear that the proposed changes are not triggered by the case of former City Harvest Church leader Chew Eng Han, who was arrested on Wednesday morning for attempting to flee the country in a motorised sampan.

Chew was on bail of S$1 million when he was caught.

"It will come as a surprise to many that jumping bail is not in itself an offence. You put up bail and you lose your bail but we haven’t made that an offence. Jumping bail will be made an offence," said Mr Shanmugam.

"We will be tightening up the bail conditions – not as a result of this case - as I said, the Bill is already ready it will be put in Parliament next week."

POLICE CANNOT BE TRACKING EVERY PERSON ON BAIL: SHANMUGAM

Mr Shanmugam said the question of jumping bail has been on his mind for some time, even before Chew's attempted escape bid, as it is "too much of a burden" to expect the police to keep track of every single person on bail.

"At any given time, from the time you’re charged to the time your case comes to court, it can be months, it can be even longer," he pointed out.

"In some cases, you are in remand, but obviously from a public good perspective, we don’t want to keep people in remand. We want to try and help them lead their lives outside until the case is disposed of and a verdict is given ... So at any given time, you have thousands of persons on bail, walking around."

Monitoring them is "not the best use of police resources," he added. "Police should be focused on counter-terrorism, on solving crimes."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/jumping-bail-to-be-an-offence-under-proposed-changes-to-criminal-9981116

I thought somebody said that one cannot comment about the case when it is in process ? Can be considered as contempt of court ?

ibanezjem555
22-02-2018, 06:31 PM
This Ah Neh is a Nah Bu Neh ! Pay him $1 million,now then come up with revisions.

Not proactive at all and he is jia liao bee. Suppose to tarok hard hard like City Harvest swindlers,he waver. Come to Amos Yee, the talk-cock king, he tarok bcos the boy no go army yet no armpit hair easy to takan.

Come to 38 OR, boh lampah.. this type of Ah Neh is the biggest snake !

SiaSuay
22-02-2018, 07:10 PM
His $5000 is to buy passage out only. Stash the cash somewhere overseas already.

Coast guard boat has radar that can detect anything just above the waves at long distances. But Mat Salamat float across, the boats like blur blob !

Still in this case, 3 boats chun chun can converge so efficiently and arrest target.

Wonder who gave the tipoff ? :D

Guess he must have told someone about his escape plan . This will reflect badly on his case . I wonder if the City Harvest members will still vote for the PAP ?

conquer
23-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Dumb twit :D
Trying to escape by water might as well go under the water snorkeling all the way better

True that. He was just 300m away from Malaysian soil... take sampan for fuck meh, swim over lah. :o

SiaSuay
24-02-2018, 04:55 PM
True that. He was just 300m away from Malaysian soil... take sampan for fuck meh, swim over lah. :o

Probably he doesn't know how to swim ?

skyleon
27-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Elder brother of Chew Eng Han released on police bail

Published 22 February, 2018

Updated 26 February, 2018

SINGAPORE — Mr Chew Eng Soon, the elder brother of convicted City Harvest Church (CHC) leader Chew Eng Han, has been released on police bail after he was arrested earlier this week in connection with his sibling's attempt to flee Singapore illegally.

The elder Mr Chew, 61, could not be detained for more than 48 hours without being charged in court, the police said on Friday (Feb 23). He was arrested at about 3.40pm on Wednesday, a few hours after his 57-year-old brother was caught by the Police Coast Guard while attempting to leave Singapore with a boatman at about 8.47am.

When intercepted, the younger Chew claimed that he was out on a fishing trip, TODAY understands. He was charged in court on Thursday for attempting to leave Singapore from Pulau Ubin jetty, an unauthorised point of departure, without reasonable cause.

If convicted, Chew could be jailed for up to six months and fined up to S$2,000. He had earlier been sentenced to three years and four months in jail for criminal breach of trust and falsification of accounts in connection with the CHC case, and was due to start his jail term on Thursday.

continue reading here : https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/elder-brother-chew-eng-han-released-police-bail

skyleon
21-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Minister K Shanmugam says nope, City Harvest Kongvicts don’t qualify for home detention

But it's ultimately the Commissioner of Prisons's call.

By Jeanette Tan | 10 hours

Just when we thought the City Harvest Church funds misappropriation case had come to a close with the Court of Appeal’s landmark decision to keep their sentences shortened, the case popped up again in Parliament on Monday and Tuesday this week.

It stemmed from a parliamentary question filed by Bukit Batok MP Murali Pillai, arising from something quite technical, but which the whole of Singapore more or less came to understand about our law: section 406 and 409 of the Penal Code.

What is it?

Those numbers may not immediately make sense to you, but the mention of “City Harvest” might bring everything back to mind.

Sections 406 and 409 are two severity levels of the offence of Criminal Breach of Trust — the law under which Kong Hee, Serina Wee and their four counterparts (including the one who tried to escape on a sampan) were convicted of after they misappropriated S$24 million in the church’s building funds to fuel Sun Ho’s music career, and then used another S$26 million to cover the first missing S$24 million.

In the end, the Court of Appeal decided that the six convicts’s crimes fell under the less-severe Section 406 of the law. Here’s a more in-depth explainer on why that happened:

And this, in turn, led to Law Minister K Shanmugam more or less declaring that they would work toward changing the law:

He said then:

“It is now up to Parliament to amend the law, and that we should do soon. We will ensure that legislation provides for higher penalties for directors and other senior officers who commit criminal breaches of trust. We hope to make the amendment together with other wide ranging amendments to the Penal Code, which I have spoken about them.”

continue reading here : https://mothership.sg/2018/03/minister-k-shanmugam-says-nope-city-harvest-kongvicts-dont-qualify-for-home-detention/

Don't know why someone need to bring this up in parliament ? Wasting taxpayer's money and time .

CheeHongGan
21-03-2018, 10:40 AM
The MP too dam free. :eek:

slientasshole
21-03-2018, 12:58 PM
knn waste taxpayer money debat usuless stuff n just kow how to hamtam ahptc... knn amktc tio taiji all keep quiet.... knnbccb

Rupp
21-03-2018, 02:50 PM
That is why we need to vote more opposition MPs into parliament. Really double standard .

GletLiven
21-03-2018, 04:21 PM
That is why we need to vote more opposition MPs into parliament. Really double standard .

Yes , we need to do that .

karmasung
22-03-2018, 10:04 PM
The MP too dam free. :eek:

Which MP ? :confused:

CheeHongGan
23-03-2018, 09:25 AM

The one from Bukit Batok .

eastbrom
23-03-2018, 09:49 AM
The one from Bukit Batok .

Bukit Batok so big .

newton
23-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Ah Mu from Bukit Batok.

rousch
23-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Ah Mu from Bukit Batok.

This is guy is a lawyer .

flyspaceshuttle
23-03-2018, 02:30 PM
This is guy is a lawyer .

Look like a prata seller .

newton
23-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Ah Mu most likely asked on behalf of his fellow PAP MP who defended Hong Hee in this case, Edwin Tong.

skyleon
30-03-2018, 02:54 PM
One fresh charge for ex-City Harvest Church fund manager Chew Eng Han

By Alfred Chua

Published 28 March, 2018

Updated 28 March, 2018

SINGAPORE — Nearly a month into serving his jail sentence for criminal breach of trust, former City Harvest Church fund manager Chew Eng Han faces one fresh charge.

On Thursday (March 29), Chew was charged with one count of attempting to defeat the course of justice, by allegedly trying to flee the country illegally on Feb 21. If convicted, the 57-year-old could face a jail term of up to three-and-a-half years, and/or a fine.

Chew was supposed to start serving his jail term of three years and four months for criminal breach of trust on Feb 22.

But a day before he was supposed to surrender himself to the court, Chew was arrested by the police for allegedly trying to leave the country illegally from the Pulau Ubin jetty using a motorised sampan.

continue reading here : https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/one-fresh-charge-ex-city-harvest-church-fund-manager-chew-eng-han