PDA

View Full Version : Genital warts in men

JGLover
07-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Need some advice from bros and Dr Tan.

My partner was recently diagnosed with genital warts. I believe she caught it from me as I'm the more sexually active one.

I do not have any physical symptoms or warts myself. Should I go for a test and if I am tested positive, do I require any treatment if there is no physical symptoms?

Feeling shitty for causing my partner the discomfort but guess its too late now....sigh

BoringLife88
08-08-2015, 03:25 AM

My partner was recently diagnosed with genital warts. I believe she caught it from me as I'm the more sexually active one.

I do not have any physical symptoms or warts myself. Should I go for a test and if I am tested positive, do I require any treatment if there is no physical symptoms?

Feeling shitty for causing my partner the discomfort but guess its too late now....sigh

I guess its still better to go for a test to see if you are positive. Other than physical symptoms do you feel any discomfort or have any weird feeling at your genital areas?

sammyboyfor
08-08-2015, 08:18 AM

There is no quick and reliable blood test for HPV.

If you have no visible warts on your genitals, your doctor might be able to detect the infected areas by applying a solution of mild acetic acid to the genital region. Infected skin will then turn whitish.

If you are not circumcised, then sacrificing your foreskin could help in clearing things up.

HPV is not a big deal and most of the time the body will clear itself of the virus over time.

Your girl needs to go for treatment though. Take her to a qualified doctor.

DoctorVChia
08-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Some important facts on HPV that causes genital warts.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

Things to note:

1) HPV also causes cancer. For your partner, regular PAP smear is important to detect early cancer of the cervix. I also do thin prep (a kind of cervical cancer screening) with HPV testing for patients who want to know if they have high risk, cancer causing HPV types.
2) I strongly urge ladies to get vaccinated against cervical cancer (HPV). In this case, testing would be helpful in determining if she already has the high risk HPV types (16 and 18).
2) Warts can be treated (usually cryotherapy and/or topical medication). Get her treated.
3) As for you, testing is not mandatory. But only if you really want to know if you have the high risk, cancer causing HPV types (especially 16 and 18).

DoctorVChia
08-08-2015, 09:09 AM
More information on cervical cancer vaccine:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-vaccine-hcp.htm

HPV test information:

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hpv/tab/test/

Quote, "Some doctors will test men who fall into a high-risk category. Men who have sex with men and those who have HIV may be tested for HPV. Evaluating the risk of HPV-related diseases of the anal canal in men is becoming more common."

DoctorTan
08-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the A2A.

There is really no point for you to test because:
1. There is no reliable blood or swab test for HPV in men.
2. Even if there was, current HPV tests only test for cancer causing strains. In other words, if you have HPV that causes warts, the tests are going to be negative anyway.

The prevalence of HPV in the world is 50%. About 80% of people spontaneously clear it from their bodies 2 years from the infection.

If you do not have physical symptoms, you do not need any treatment.

HPV causing cancer in men is very rare and usually only in people who are severely immune compromised (eg AIDS).

So course of action for you should be:
1. See a doctor to have a thorough physical examination of the ano-genital area to make sure you do not have any warts. I say this because I have seen patients who tell me they have no symptoms but when I examined them, they obviously have warts. Lesson: you do not see what you are not looking for.
2. Bring your GF to see a doctor for proper treatment of the warts and monitoring for cancer causing HPV or even pre-cancer cervical changes.
3. Be really really nice to your GF.

liamneeson
08-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Warts can treat lor. Freezing it is quick and good. But make sure doc is experienced in liquid nitrogen technique.

BoringLife88
08-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the A2A.

There is really no point for you to test because:
1. There is no reliable blood or swab test for HPV in men.
2. Even if there was, current HPV tests only test for cancer causing strains. In other words, if you have HPV that causes warts, the tests are going to be negative anyway.

The prevalence of HPV in the world is 50%. About 80% of people spontaneously clear it from their bodies 2 years from the infection.

If you do not have physical symptoms, you do not need any treatment.

HPV causing cancer in men is very rare and usually only in people who are severely immune compromised (eg AIDS).

So course of action for you should be:
1. See a doctor to have a thorough physical examination of the ano-genital area to make sure you do not have any warts. I say this because I have seen patients who tell me they have no symptoms but when I examined them, they obviously have warts. Lesson: you do not see what you are not looking for.
2. Bring your GF to see a doctor for proper treatment of the warts and monitoring for cancer causing HPV or even pre-cancer cervical changes.
3. Be really really nice to your GF.

Hi Doctor,

So if that's the case. But Herpes can be tested via blood after one month with a certainty of accuracy right?

sammyboyfor
08-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Hi Doctor,

So if that's the case. But Herpes can be tested via blood after one month with a certainty of accuracy right?

Why don't you read this article...

https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/understanding-blood-tests-for-herpes/

1) There is only one reliable and commercially available type of blood test for herpes antibodies called a Type Specific IgG. This test can reliably distinguish between herpes 1 and herpes 2 antibodies. There are labs that will run tests that are not type specific, but these are essentially useless. It is unfortunately not illegal to offer a useless test and some providers just don’t know the difference and may just tick off the first box for “herpes” that they see. The University of Washington (the mecca of herpes research) also offers a Western Blot test for herpes antibodies. This is the gold standard, but only performed at the University of Washington. The American Social Health Association has a great guide to the brand names of the reliable tests. If it’s not one of these tests, don’t get it. You may have to ask your health provider to check, because they might not know.

2) Blood tests take 3-6 months to turn positive after exposure because it takes 3-6 months for your body to make IgG antibodies in response to an infection.

3) There is no blood test that can tell you immediate exposure/recent infection. Some less than scrupulous labs and providers might tell you to get an IgM test. IgM antibodies are produced very soon after an infection. If your provider offers an IgM test, get up and leave because they do not know anything about herpes or testing. IgM tests for herpes are highly unreliable for the diagnosis of herpes virus infections and should never be ordered (the FDA doesn’t prevent companies from offering bad tests, just doesn’t approve them).

4) A positive IgG to herpes does not tell you when you acquired the infection, just that at some point you did. Often people are exposed to the virus but don’t have their first outbreak for months or even years later. A positive herpes IgG test only tells you that at some point in time you acquired the herpes virus (1 or 2 or both depending on your results). Many people pick up herpes 1 as a child. This is innocent exposure from sharing slobbery toys in daycare or kisses from someone who is shedding the virus but has no active cold sore.

5) A positive IgG also doesn’t tell you where you have the virus. This is very important, because 50% of new genital lesions are due to herpes type. Basically, if you test positive for herpes type 1 and negative for 2 that does not mean you don’t have genital herpes. You could be carrying herpes type 1 in the mouth, the genitals, or in both places. Recurrent sores on the mouth are more likely to be type 1 and recurrent sores on the genitals are more likely to be type 2, but that’s more likely not always. If you only test positive for type 2, that could have been an oral infection.

6) How will the test change your behavior? Will it make you be more careful sexually? Well, you should be more careful anyway. Will you only date people who are negative for both herpes 1 and 2? (remember, herpes type 1 can cause genital infections). If that’s the case, will you have a sexually chaste relationship, even abstaining from kissing, for 6 months to be rested to see if you are still negative? What if you are just positive for herpes 1, because that doesn’t rule out genital herpes? If you are positive for herpes 2 and have never had a genital outbreak, it is possible that the herpes 2 you have is an oral infection and not genital.

8) The CDC does NOT recommend routine blood testing for herpes . There is no evidence that testing changes sexual behavior (see above). And the mental gymnastics about how to manage the test results are just too complex (see above).

Before you decide to get a blood test for herpes, get informed. Herpes blood tests are expensive and can’t tell you when you caught herpes or even if the virus in your mouth or on your genitals. What if you just want to be “Screened for everything?” Herpes blood tests are not screening tests, but tests that should be used to answer a specific problem. If your question is, “Do I have genital herpes,” that answer can’t be answered reliably with a blood test.

sammyboyfor
08-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Warts can treat lor. Freezing it is quick and good. But make sure doc is experienced in liquid nitrogen technique.

Warts can be removed via various methods. laser, freezing, chemicals etc but the underlying infection remains. The immune system is the only weapon available to clear the virus from the body.

Worrying does nothing to boost the immune system. It has the opposite effect.

JGLover
08-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks bros and Dr Tan for all the good advice.

No physical discomfort and visible warts so far but will still make a trip to the doctor for peace of mind.

For my partner, yes, I'll be really nice to her and will constantly remind myself not to get my loved ones implicated by my own irresponsible actions...

Lesson learnt....

MrMuscleman
10-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Depend on the wart itself. In 2008 i was diagnosed with bowenoid papulosis. A kind of wart which only grow on shaft and pubic hair area. Not the soft type. On and off i go dsc and nsc for cyrotherapy. I was depressed as the warts keep coming back. It stop coming back in june 2014. Took me about almost 6 years to rid of the warts finally. 6 years lol

solesick
25-08-2015, 09:54 PM
There is no quick and reliable blood test for HPV.

If you have no visible warts on your genitals, your doctor might be able to detect the infected areas by applying a solution of mild acetic acid to the genital region. Infected skin will then turn whitish.

If you are not circumcised, then sacrificing your foreskin could help in clearing things up.

HPV is not a big deal and most of the time the body will clear itself of the virus over time.

Your girl needs to go for treatment though. Take her to a qualified doctor.

Hi Dr i got 3-4 warts on my penis for more than 3 month . its doesnt pop or what. do i need to go for check?

sammyboyfor
26-08-2015, 04:16 AM
Hi Dr i got 3-4 warts on my penis for more than 3 month . its doesnt pop or what. do i need to go for check?

I'm not a doctor.

If you have visible warts, you should get them removed. There are various methods. See a doctor for advice.

DoctorTan
26-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Warts do not pop. If they pop, they are not warts.

You definitely need to get checked and have them removed (if they are warts).

They can get worse so do it soon. I have seen people get a literal forest of warts which takes months (even years) to get rid of.

IAmAwesome
26-08-2015, 07:06 PM
forest of warts

A forest :eek:

DoctorTan
27-08-2015, 09:11 AM
A forest :eek:

Yah man. You saw the documentary on the Indonesian Tree Man?

It's like that except the warts are on his dick.

IAmReallyNotGay
08-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Worrying does nothing to boost the immune system. It has the opposite effect.

So true boss

MrMuscleman
25-09-2015, 03:50 PM

my warts lasted for 5 and half years, keep recurring untill recently. finally last year june it was totally gone. how come take so long? i read its only 2 years. and can i have sex after the wartsgone for 1 and half years

DoctorTan
26-09-2015, 08:57 AM
my warts lasted for 5 and half years, keep recurring untill recently. finally last year june it was totally gone. how come take so long? i read its only 2 years. and can i have sex after the wartsgone for 1 and half years

In 80% of people the warts are gone within 2 years. You are the unfortunate 20%. Other factors like smoking may increase the risk of wart recurrence.

Studies have shown that the Gardasil Vaccine can reduce the risk of HPV related Cancer recurrence. So by extrapolation, we can logically conclude that it reduces the risk of wart recurrence too.

You are basically asking if you can still pass the HPV infection onto your partner after the warts have been gone for 1 to 2 years. The Answer is maybe. That is because there is no way to tell if the HPV virus is still in your system or not.

sammyboyfor
27-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Like this??? :eek:

MrMuscleman
29-09-2015, 12:04 AM
In 80% of people the warts are gone within 2 years. You are the unfortunate 20%. Other factors like smoking may increase the risk of wart recurrence.

Studies have shown that the Gardasil Vaccine can reduce the risk of HPV related Cancer recurrence. So by extrapolation, we can logically conclude that it reduces the risk of wart recurrence too.

You are basically asking if you can still pass the HPV infection onto your partner after the warts have been gone for 1 to 2 years. The Answer is maybe. That is because there is no way to tell if the HPV virus is still in your system or not.

I was diagnosed with bowenoid papulosis

DoctorTan
29-09-2015, 08:13 AM
I was diagnosed with bowenoid papulosis

Wow. That's not common.

Good that you did and good that you got them removed. They can, albeit rarely, become more serious versions of skin cancer.

MrMuscleman
29-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Wow. That's not common.

Good that you did and good that you got them removed. They can, albeit rarely, become more serious versions of skin cancer.

Took 5 yr and half