PDA

View Full Version : Filipina in UAE death row for killing employer who tried to rape her

IwantbustyKim
01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/filipina-uae-death-row-killing-employer-who-tried-rape-her

http://www.iweb.ph/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Dalquez.jpg

An overseas Filipina worker (OFW) was sentenced to death by a United Arab Emirates (UAE) court after being convicted of killing her employer last December.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed that Jennifer Dalquez was meted the death penalty by the Al Ain trial court in Dubai last May 20.
DFA spokesperson Assistant Secretary Charles Jose said that the department has extended all assistance to Dalquez and that her family has been notified of her case.

The DFA will also help Dalquez in appealing her sentence.
"The Embassy will assist OFW Dalquez appeal her sentence," Jose said in a text message.

In a report by ABS-CBN News, Dalquez was arrested on December 12 last year for stabbing her employer who attempted to rape her at knifepoint.
Dalquez joins 88 other Filipino workers who are in death row in China, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and other countries.

Last month, Filipina drug convict Mary Jane Veloso was set to be executed in Indonesia but was spared due to an 11th-hour reprieve granted by the Indonesian government. AC

IwantbustyKim
01-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Where is the justice and decency in this? I wonder if this is how the courts in United Arab Emirates work...

MoeLanYong
02-06-2015, 12:11 AM
She took a life. I see nothing wrong with the sentence. Justice is balanced.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 05:21 AM
She took a life. I see nothing wrong with the sentence. Justice is balanced.

Are you stupid or something? She took his life out of self-defense because her Arab pig of a boss was trying to rape her. The charge at most should be man-slaughter, not murder cos she never had the criminal intent to kill him.

You know why it escalated to a murder charge? Cos, under their special stupid laws, a rape charge needs the accused to confess (The equine-fucker is dead) and/or 4 MALE witnesses to testify. Cannot be female, must be Male.

Going by your logic, so the next time if you are a guy and you see a woman get raped in a country like UAE, you cannot stop him, you need to first find 3 other MALE witnesses to stop him or else if he dies when he is trying to rape the girl you will charged with murder and get beheaded according to their special laws.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 05:23 AM
We Should Boycott Dubai Until It Revises Its Rape Laws

http://www.ibtimes.com/fighting-words/we-should-boycott-dubai-until-it-revises-its-rape-laws-1355905

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2013/07/22/rtx11ujs.jpg?itok=LvtHNfDS

Norwegian interior designer Marte Deborah Dalelv, 24, who reported being raped, speaks during an interview with Reuters at the Norwegian Seamen's Center in Dubai, July 21, 2013. Dalelv, who was sentenced to 16 months in prison in Dubai for illicit sex after she reported being raped, says she has no regrets about coming forward if her warning will protect others from a similar fate.

Tourists should avoid Dubai until it passes new laws to protect women who report being raped.

The city’s glitzy hotels and luxury retailers create a veneer of modernity over the desert city, nestled on the shores of the United Arab Emirates. In many ways, Dubai can count itself among the world’s international centers of commerce -- alongside London, New York and Hong Kong. But like the backwoods cast of CBS’s 1960s hit “The Beverly Hillbillies,” newfound oil wealth can put you in league with the global elite before you catch up with its social mores.

In the UAE, as in some other countries that use Islamic law, a woman can only help convict the man who rapes her if the accused confesses or four adult men must testify as witnesses.

So, when 24-year-old Marte Deborah Dalelv reported being raped by a colleague while on a visit to Dubai, the Norwegian woman was sentenced to 16 months in prison for having premarital sex, a crime in the UAE. She was pardoned on Monday by Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum -- the kingdom’s vice president.

Norway’s foreign minister praised the pardon as a step forward, a progressive legal precedent for what he called a “rapidly changing society.”

He’s wrong.

All Dalelv’s pardon proves is that, to be treated with respect and sensitivity after being physically violated in an attack that can destroy victims’ lives, you must be a white, attractive woman with access to Western journalists.

In May, an Australian woman who spent eight months in prison in the UAE after being raped captured media attention with a series of interviews describing her hellish experience in jail. She, too, was pardoned after making headlines around the world.

Then you have the British woman reported being raped in a bathroom by a hotel worker in Dubai Marina three years ago, she was confessing to a crime of her own. She was jailed for drinking alcohol and having premarital sex, both crimes in the UAE.

Worse yet, consider the fate of the Indonesian hotel maid or Bangladeshi waitress -- some of the countless migrant workers in the UAE -- whose plight is unlikely to garner a segment on CNN International. Surely, the full might of sharia law will come down on them.

Earlier this year, Dubai said it would attempt to bolster its annual income from tourism to $82 billion by 2020. Until the UAE can meaningfully reform its laws on reporting rape, travelers should not help it get any closer to that goal.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 05:53 AM
Another similar stupid ruling in Iran

Iranian woman sentenced to death for killing man who tried to rape her hanged

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2807313/Iranian-woman-sentenced-death-killing-man-claims-tried-rape-hanged-imminently-rights-group-claims.html

'Please don't cry. I love you. I wish I could have hugged you until I died': Iranian woman's heartrending message to her mother before she was hanged for killing the man who 'tried to rape her'

Reyhaneh Jabbari, 26, was sentenced to death in 2009 by an Iranian court
She was found guilty of murdering a government intelligence operative
Her mother Sholeh Pakravan received a phone call on Friday telling her to visit her daughter in prison for the last time
Amnesty International failed in last-ditch bid to spare Jabbari's life

The Iranian woman executed for killing a man she said was trying to rape her urged her mother not to mourn in a will written shortly before her death.

Reyhaneh Jabbari, 27, was hanged at dawn on Saturday despite international outcry and a high-profile campaign within the repressive state urging authorities to stay her sentence.

In her last will and testament, the young woman said that she did not want to be buried in a grave where her mother would go to cry and suffer, nor did she want her to wear black.

‘I don’t want to rot in the soil. Please don’t cry. I love you’, she told Sholeh Pakravan. ‘I wish I could have hugged you until I died’.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/26/1414299846303_wps_1_epa04462886_A_picture_mad.jpg

Jabbari also asked that her organs were donated anonymously, according to The Sunday Times.

Footage today emerged of a distraught Mrs Pakravan wailing outside the gates of Rajai Shahr Prison, near Tehran, after her daughter was put to death.

She had been summoned to the site to see Jabbari for the last time on Friday and had expressed her bitter torment and disbelief in a Facebook post earlier this week.

‘After seven and a half years of pain and suffering, is this how my dear child comes to her end?’, she wrote.

The execution was condemned by the US State Department, the British government and by human rights groups including Amnesty International.

'The shocking news that Reyhaneh Jabbari has been executed is deeply disappointing in the extreme. This is another bloody stain on Iran’s human rights record,' said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa Programme.

'Tragically, this case is far from uncommon. Once again Iran has insisted on applying the death penalty despite serious concerns over the fairness of the trial.'

Jabbari was sentenced to death in 2009 for stabbing to death a former employee of Iran's Ministry of Intelligence, Morteza Abdolali Sarbandi.

The murder - which took place two years earlier in 2007, when Jabbari was just 19. She had met him in a cafe and he had convinced her to visit his office to discuss a business deal.

While there Sarbandi allegedly drugged and attempted to rape her and she grabbed a pocket knife and stabbed him. Jabbari maintained until her death that another man who was present at the time killed him.

Amnesty International described the investigation as 'deeply flawed' and said that the trial had failed to examine all the evidence. The organisation also said that Jabbari confessed after being subjected to 'savage tortures'.

It is claimed that she spent two months in solitary confinement where she did not have access to a lawyer or her family.

The date of her execution has been repeatedly delayed, first postponed in April after a global petition to spare her life attracted 20,000 signatures.

Earlier this month, the death sentence was deferred again, apparently after Jabbari had said her final goodbyes to her family, while a government car waited to transport her to the execution site.

Throughout the past months, her friends and family have been a regular presence outside the prison, staging protests calling for release.

Her mother also gave emotional interviews discussing her daughter's plight and begging the Iranian government to spare her life.

Speaking earlier this month via Skype to Fox News, Pakravan said: 'I wish they would come tie a rope around my neck and kill me instead, but to allow Rayhaneh to come back home.'

'The only thing I want ... from God, from people around the world ... in any way, in any form, is I just want to bring Rayhaneh back home.

'I am a mother. No mother can accept the death of her child.'

The execution was carried out after Sarbandi's family refused to pardon Jabbari or accept blood money. An estimated 250 people have been put to death in Iran this year.

MEP Gérard Deprez, the chair of Friends of a Free Iran, a pressure group in the European Parliament, earlier called on Iran to halt the execution.

He said: 'Hassan Rouhani's government has hanged more than 1,000 people, many of them in public squares in Iranian cities. This is the worst record by any Iranian president for the past 25 years.

'If human rights are not improving in Iran, continued talks will only be seen as a green light for further aggression by the regime against its people as well as spreading its terror to other countries of the region.

'It is time the west imposes sanctions on Iran's human rights violations with no further delay.'

hhlover
02-06-2015, 10:12 AM
So wat does this tell u.. wan to be a rapist.. must go dubai..

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 10:54 AM
So wat does this tell u.. wan to be a rapist.. must go dubai..

Or you can wait till Sharia law is implemented fully in some nearby country of SG.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Before they pass any judgement they need to asktheirmothers first

what if their mothers are the victims? hmmmmmmm

Hot&Spicy
02-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Before they pass any judgement they need to asktheirmothers first

nope they need to prepare their wife/mother/daughter to be rape and then he will the one who judge NOT GUILTY to those people who raped them.
Or he should sentence his wife/mother/daughter to death for killing the rapist.
Their law is really..... better not to go to this kind of country.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
u mean they sharetheirmother around too? :eek:

According to some ancient law... if you capture their mothers and kill their fathers... you can take their mothers as wives or slaves...

MoeLanYong
02-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Are you stupid or something? She took his life out of self-defense because her Arab pig of a boss was trying to rape her. The charge at most should be man-slaughter, not murder cos she never had the criminal intent to kill him.

You know why it escalated to a murder charge? Cos, under their special stupid laws, a rape charge needs the accused to confess (The equine-fucker is dead) and/or 4 MALE witnesses to testify. Cannot be female, must be Male.

Going by your logic, so the next time if you are a guy and you see a woman get raped in a country like UAE, you cannot stop him, you need to first find 3 other MALE witnesses to stop him or else if he dies when he is trying to rape the girl you will charged with murder and get beheaded according to their special laws.

Doesn't change the fact she took a life. She could have slashed and ran. Or stab once and ran. Or fought free and ran. It is not so easy to kill in 1 stab/slash.

Different countries have different laws. Some may not have manslaughter laws. Neither do we know that it was indeed considered and rejected. One should respect the laws of the land and not expect universality in laws.

You spurn at their judicial system, Americans spurn at our free speech system. We spurn at America's jury system, Australia spurns at Indonesia's drug laws. Where does it end?

Try not to call people who has a different opinion stupid.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Doesn't change the fact she took a life. She could have slashed and ran. Or stab once and ran. Or fought free and ran. It is not so easy to kill in 1 stab/slash.

Different countries have different laws. Some may not have manslaughter laws. Neither do we know that it was indeed considered and rejected. One should respect the laws of the land and not expect universality in laws.

You spurn at their judicial system, Americans spurn at our free speech system. We spurn at America's jury system, Australia spurns at Indonesia's drug laws. Where does it end?

Try not to call people who has a different opinion stupid.

Well that is your backward opinion which you are free to have and which i consider stupid btw. Different countries are entitled to their laws but that does not mean we cannot call it Out for its pig-headedness especially when the evidence already stated she was going to be raped.

In the heat of the moment, who the hell has the mind to stop stabbing and ensure the safety of your assailant just because he is a man? Civility is only afforded if you do things that appeal to a universal sense of justice which in this case is sorely lacking because of some stupid law made in the Middle Ages that has not been reformed yet.

Sometimes you have to take a life to save others. Look at the brave soldier in the movie Sniper. He took out so many baddies to save his brothers in arms. The guilt was there but he was glad he saved so many people.

MoeLanYong
02-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Well that is your backward opinion which you are free to have and which i consider stupid btw. Different countries are entitled to their laws but that does not mean we cannot call it Out for its pig-headedness especially when the evidence already stated she was going to be raped.

In the heat of the moment, who the hell has the mind to stop stabbing and ensure the safety of your assailant just because he is a man? Civility is only afforded if you do things that appeal to a universal sense of justice which in this case is sorely lacking because of some stupid law made in the Middle Ages that has not been reformed yet.

Sometimes you have to take a life to save others. Look at the brave soldier in the movie Sniper. He took out so many baddies to save his brothers in arms. The guilt was there but he was glad he saved so many people.

Glad we can agree to disagree. Muslim states usually have gender inequalities embedded in their laws. It was built upon for decades according to the beliefs of their locals and their elected governments. To them, that is their way of life. Ce la viè. If it is not partisan to just foreigners and is equally applied to their locals, I celebrate it as a just system, chosen by the people of their land.

We do them no favours by insisting our way is the right way, the same way Australia's plea for death row mercy fell on Indonesia deaf ears - it is not going to change their minds. It merely hardens their resolve, and their sovereign right to do what they think is necessary.

IwantbustyKim
02-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Glad we can agree to disagree. Muslim states usually have gender inequalities embedded in their laws. It was built upon for decades according to the beliefs of their locals and their elected governments. To them, that is their way of life. Ce la viè. If it is not partisan to just foreigners and is equally applied to their locals, I celebrate it as a just system, chosen by the people of their land.

We do them no favours by insisting our way is the right way, the same way Australia's plea for death row mercy fell on Indonesia deaf ears - it is not going to change their minds. It merely hardens their resolve, and their sovereign right to do what they think is necessary.

Well to call them an elected govt would be a long stretch. You already say it has unequalities embedded in it yet u celebrate it as a "just" season. Do we then celebrate north korea's brutality against it's people because it's the law of the land? Or that when the Hutus and Tutsis are killing each other we should celebrate their "differences"?

With regards to Indonesia, they have every right to make their own sovereign judgements but they cannot avoid international condemnation when they choose to execute a mentally disabled person but let the damn cleric who inspired the Bali bombings free.

davidwee
02-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Sharia law and Muslim culture is one thing.
The rich Saudis are another ball game, don't respect life and treat people worse than animals. Modern day slave owners, racism, rape women, forced labour till workers die for Qatar world cup.
So glad FIFA is finally getting what they deserve all these years, bonus of showing how sick the rich Saudis are.

MoeLanYong
02-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Well to call them an elected govt would be a long stretch. You already say it has unequalities embedded in it yet u celebrate it as a "just" season. Do we then celebrate north korea's brutality against it's people because it's the law of the land? Or that when the Hutus and Tutsis are killing each other we should celebrate their "differences"?

With regards to Indonesia, they have every right to make their own sovereign judgements but they cannot avoid international condemnation when they choose to execute a mentally disabled person but let the damn cleric who inspired the Bali bombings free.

North Korea is not brutal to their people in general. Just political staging which invariably results in wicked deeds. Malaysia too blew up Atlantuya over a submarine deal remember? Are Malaysians brutal in general? Not necessarily. North Koreans live in harsh conditions the same way Russians do. The same way Russia disposes of their political opponents ruthlessly. I don't condone it neither can I change it. If they have a fair system of common law applied equally to all their locals, it is a good starting point and is to be celebrated. It is at least a basic working system that can be improved upon. What you don't want is tribal councils, still prevalent in parts of India, Africa and rural South America, to take matters into their own hands based on what their tribal chiefs feel. That is then the real travesty of justice.

IwantbustyKim
07-06-2015, 02:04 PM
North Korea is not brutal to their people in general. Just political staging which invariably results in wicked deeds. Malaysia too blew up Atlantuya over a submarine deal remember? Are Malaysians brutal in general? Not necessarily. North Koreans live in harsh conditions the same way Russians do. The same way Russia disposes of their political opponents ruthlessly. I don't condone it neither can I change it. If they have a fair system of common law applied equally to all their locals, it is a good starting point and is to be celebrated. It is at least a basic working system that can be improved upon. What you don't want is tribal councils, still prevalent in parts of India, Africa and rural South America, to take matters into their own hands based on what their tribal chiefs feel. That is then the real travesty of justice.

WTF.... North Korea not brutal to its own people? How do you explain the mass starvation that went on in the 90s. To say that its a basic working system "to be improved upon" is not only simplistic, its degrading and inhumane.