PDA

View Full Version : 33 yr old pmet remains jobless despite sending over 500 job applications

Sammyboy RSS Feed
30-03-2015, 07:50 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Transitioning: First of all, thanks for allowing us to interview you online and can you provide us with some background information about yourself?

Bala: 33 year old Male - born Singaporean. Jobless. Masters degree holder with 17 years working experience in total. 7 years Managerial experience in Accounts,IT,HR, Facility Management and Administration.

Transitioning: What was your last occupation and you have told me that you were unemployed for a few months, can you tell us more about this and also your job search experience?

Bala: Accounts & Admin Manager. Unemployed for the 6th month. Got retrenched to cut cost.

Applied almost more than 500 jobs to various sites. None replied. Even went to MSF (previously CDC), but no use. Most of the PSD jobs I applied, I qualify above their requirement so I get rejected.

Transitioning: You have told me that you are currently jobless for more than six months, what did you do in order to survive? Did you also approach the CDC for assistance?

Bala: I applied for financial assistance which gives me $250 per month with an EZ link top of $50. I have pawned all my gold.

Past 2 months I have been paying partial bills and currently halted bank loans which has just been increasing the interest.

I have stopped going out. Most of the times I borrow $20-$50 from my girlfriend.

Transitioning: Did you attend any interviews during the past few months and why do you think you are unsuccessful so far?

Bala: In the 6 months, I have attended 2 interviews only, but had lots of phone interviews.

Transitioning: Tell us abit more about what you have learnt from your jobless experience and how it has impacted your family.

Bala: This isn’t the first time I have been unemployed. I have learnt that as an Indian born in Singapore we have no respect and I hate to see all the foreigners sitting in on our jobs.

My house is currently supported by my 61 year old parent. I have no words to describe the current situation.

Transitioning: What do you think you could have done to shorten the unemployment period?

Bala: I tried part time jobs, made calls, applied for tuition etc but however, after seeing my qualifications, I was given the reason “overqualified”. The government should see to the hiring situation here.

Transitioning: Do you think that Singapore is now a more difficult place to make a living?

Bala: Yes I do agree without thinking twice. First it is expensive, then there is an influx in foreigners. My list of unhappiness is extremely long…

Transitioning: What do you think the government can do to alleviate the current employment situation?

Bala: Send job applications to a government hire. MOM should stop taking in the foreigners to take up the jobs.

There is a long list of unemployed Singaporeans. Hire them first.

During calls to banks or telecom companies, staff who answer are now practically all foreigners.

Can’t understand what they say. Private companies should also come under the government. Hire people like me.

In my past company, 95% of the staff are foreigners and I totally understand how easy it is to hire them.

First ask MOM to go and check the bank statement of S Pass holders and see if the companies are really paying the stated amount.

I have many ideas but it cannot be emulated if I’m not in any authoritative post.

Transitioning: Many people have blame foreigners for competing jobs with us, what is your view on this?

Bala: We do not expect a $10,000 salary but we expect a salary that matches the previous job.

We cannot be expecting a salary that is lower. Can anyone in the Ministerial position understand the expenditure level, housing payments, etc? We need a certain amount of salary in order to survive.

These foreigners do not bring their families here and don’t have any issues surviving. Top people in Banks are people from India! Why? Top people from telecommunication companies are white people!

Why? Is the government trying to say that Singaporeans are incapable?

Transitioning: Lastly, whats your advice for those who are still jobless and feeling down?

Bala: Leave Singapore. If I had the money I will leave this darn country.

There was a time I used to say I was from Singapore whenever I travel.

Nowadays when I say that, first thing I am asked is that if I am from India working in Singapore. I seriously hate being asked that.

There is no point looking for jobs in Singapore. 2 things - first I am an Indian with family roots from Singapore getting least respect and being compared to b@#$%&d and next is don’t bother studying and staying in Singapore. A degree isn’t valid now.

Foreigners has no degree and yet they are preferred. Why?

Personal Identity stolen by foreigners.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?203947-33-yr-old-pmet-remains-jobless-despite-sending-over-500-job-applications&goto=newpost).