PDA

View Full Version : Singapore is not perfect, but I do think we did a pretty decent job for the past 50 y

Sammyboy RSS Feed
16-03-2015, 01:20 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

$$$$$boy ... you might want to add this to your list of "esteemed" websites.

http://www.lovelysingapore.org/2015/02/14/357/

Singapore is not perfect, but I do think we did a pretty decent job for the past 50 years. It’s where I call home, and where I will defend.

As a Singaporean who ALSO happened to be in ISFIT, and who did attend the ISFIT dialogue on “activism” where Roy Ngerng made a guest speech tonight, I wish to stress the above statement. ISFIT involved 450 delegates from 140 countries, and 450 Norwegian volunteers, ALL young people who are crazily active on social media–and this is why I feel the strong need to clarify things.
I do respect Roy Ngerng as a person. I think he’s eloquent, especially in tonight’s dialogue. But I have to respectfully and passionately disagree with some of the statements Roy Ngerng made tonight. It’s not only me–a lot of smart, intellectual, definitely-not-brainwashed Singaporean folks do NOT agree with some of his statements as well, and these have been voraciously debated on the online platform as well.
I’m just very concerned about a biased representation of Singapore via Roy Ngerng on the global stage, which ISFIT provides. There was a Norwegian guy who came up to ask a question, highlighting Norway’s and Singapore’s close economic relationship and what Roy thinks about it, for instance. What impact would this biased representation have on young minds, especially people who have previously never heard of Singapore, nor visited Singapore before, to make an informed opinion?
Before anyone comes up to me to say that Singapore is a shit country, or “the problems of Singapore are pretty much third world” (I saw this on twitter, and the emcee and some participants did say multiple times that he is “inspiring”)–PLEASE understand the whole context, and what he was sued for. And also note that it is a one-sided view of events on his account.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?202745-Singapore-is-not-perfect-but-I-do-think-we-did-a-pretty-decent-job-for-the-past-50-y&goto=newpost).