PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Cheng and his thought on PRC tourists

Sammyboy RSS Feed
16-03-2015, 11:00 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

I see a lot of criticisms of PRC tourists and their uncouth behaviour. An article in the Straits Times today of PRC tourists visiting Palau has again set off a flurry of remarks and insults.
I would like to put some things in perspective.
China has come from absolute poverty to where it is now in just over a quarter of a century. And this was a people ravaged by war and famine. A country torn apart by civil war and foreign invasion for a 100 years isn't going to produce well-mannered gentle people when survival is more important.
The first tier cities in China are already almost surpassing many major developing cities and their young, those born after 1990, those born in an already reforming china, are really indistinguishable from the young in any big global city. Don't believe me, take a trip to Shanghai or Beijing and go to a hip club.
However, China is a huge place and development is uneven. The second tier cities are at least a decade behind Shanghai and Beijing. The third tier even further behind. And don't forget there is still a large rural population.
But they are developing too and as they grow richer their residents too want to travel.
My experience is that most of the badly behaved tourists are on package tours from the less developed cities. They are still catching up. The older generation from these cities, a decade ago, were probably still in the countryside.
These tourists also cause unhappiness when they descend on the first tier cities - the Shanghainese especially turn their nose at most people not from Shanghai calling them 'country bumpkins' 乡下人。
My point? Don't be so judgemental. The development of China is the largest human development in the history of the world.
Also, especially to the Singaporean Chinese of whom I am one - don't look down on the mainland where our ancestors come from. Our ancestors share a lot of commonalities with them. Why do you think there are no-spitting laws in Singapore ? They are not for the benefit of the Malays and the Indians I tell you. Talking loudly? A lot of the older Singaporean Chinese still do it.
So let's not be so quick to judge a whole country of people. In absolute numbers, I dare say there are more cultured well-mannered people in China and India than this small island of ours.
Travel more, widen your horizons. You will find that we are indeed just a small red-dot.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?202741-Calvin-Cheng-and-his-thought-on-PRC-tourists&goto=newpost).