PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Indians seem to be on the warpath – against themselves.

Sammyboy RSS Feed
07-03-2015, 02:00 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Malaysian Indians seem to be on the warpath – against themselves. It’s frightening these days to read reports of men being slain around the country.

In Klang, a man was butchered and a huge funeral was held for him – one that saw traffic backed up for miles as his friends took over the streets.

Revenge killings followed and now police have to send a special squad in to keep things under control.

In Penang, another man gets shot and, it seems he was in the wrong place, at the wrong time and with the wrong guy. But it’s too late, he’s dead now.

In Sungai Petani, a mother and son are shot at, just months after a Molotov cocktail killed the father.

And in Johor, there’s gunfire just outside a police station.

In most cases, the assailants are said to be fellow Malaysian Indians. It’s a turf war over security services – a euphemism, actually, for the protection racket – and for the drug business.

These people are ruthless. And for the ave*rage Joe, that’s very scary. What’s worse, no one really knows what’s going in, where it started and where it will all end. Not the police, not former gangsters and certainly not the leaders of the community.

To me, it began just before the Thaipusam festivities a month ago when a man had his hand severed in what is said to be yet another turf war – over who gets “parking rights” in Batu Caves for the festival.

At the end of the day, the cops and the local authority enforcement agency stepped in and for once, all was fine and dandy in Batu Caves. Friends tell of how easy it was to find parking space. Better yet, it was free.

No nasty looking fella demanding RM15 and threatening to damage your vehicle if you don’t pay up.

Me, I was in Penang for Thaipusam and thinking about the other gang of warring Indians – those in the MIC.

They are the ones needed to provide the leadership and maybe solutions to the pro*blems we face, but it’s not happening.

The story of Thaipusam lends itself to this tale. Thaipusam, it is said, was when the Goddess Sakthi gave her son, the warrior god Lord Murugan, a spear, or vel, a lethal weapon with which he was to destroy the evil demon Surapadman.

Vel in hand, the deity went to battle the demon, who had earlier invaded the realm of the devas and was now torturing them.

Defeated, Surapadman made a run for it. He turned himself into a tree – those evil demons had powers to do things like that – but Murugan aimed the vel at the tree and it was split into two, right down the middle. Now in two pieces, each half of Surapadman turned itself into birds, one a peacock, the other a rooster.

Unfazed, Murugan captured both birds and made the peacock his vehicle (vahana) and the rooster his insignia.

What has that got to do with what’s going on in our country? Well, Murugan is revered by many other names. Among those are Palani Vela, Subramania. And yes, even Saravana.

Those, incidentally, are also the names of the warring leaders of MIC. (Datuk Seri G.) Palanivel and (Datuk Seri S.) Subramaniam are locked in a rather fractious battle for the presidency of the party while (vice-president Datuk M.) Saravanan is eyeing the deputy presidency.

And they had better sort out their, well, sortie in a hurry if the community is to get anywhere.

The two have quite a bit in common. Both went to school in Penang, Palanivel to Methodist Boys School in Ayer Itam and Subramaniam to my alma mater Penang Free School around the corner.

Both are what numerologists would call a No 1 person. Palanivel was born on March 1, 1949, and celebrated his birthday a week ago. Subramaniam was born on April 1, 1953.

And like the warrior god Murugan, both are doing battle, going up against each other. There is no evil Surapadman in this story but the fate of Surapadman could well be that of the party they belong to. It could be split into two, right down the middle.

If that happens, I doubt if there will be a peacock or a rooster. A couple of mosquito parties, maybe.

Meanwhile, Saravanan, whose father’s name, incidentally, is Murugan, waits in the wings and thugs with weapons more lethal than the vel are killing each other.

Just where are those guns coming from?

> The writer, who can be reached at [email protected], can’t help but wonder if Ops Cantas has backfired with gangsters who fled to Thailand linking up with triads there and coming back even stronger now.

> The views expressed are entirely the writer's own.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Opinion/Co...ng-godfathers/ (http://www.thestar.com.my/Opinion/Columnists/Why-Not/Profile/Articles/2015/03/06/A-warrior-god-and-warring-godfathers/)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?202120-Malaysian-Indians-seem-to-be-on-the-warpath-–-against-themselves&goto=newpost).