PDA

View Full Version : Let a Malaysian teach you how to live in Singapore

Sammyboy RSS Feed
04-03-2015, 11:20 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Dear The Real Singapore,

I’m not one of your average Singaporeans. I happen to be a Malaysian student, privileged enough to have the opportunity to study abroad. I’ve met a lot of Singaporeans here, and I’ve come to learn a lot about your country, your culture, and your way of life.

I was reading one of your articles: Rich Malaysian Girl Living In Singapore Laughing At Us Poor Singaporeans.

And while I agree that some of the things she said might be dissatisfying to some, the really disgusting part was reading the comments about it. Of all the things that could be said from her blog article, the majority of popular comments were stuff like: ‘She’s F*cking Ugly’, and something along the lines of her being a Rich B*tch.

And it finally occurred to me, from listening to my Singaporean friends’ everyday woes, to reading complaint articles on news websites like these.. Just how different Singaporeans and Malaysians truly are.

I’ve heard so much crap coming from Singaporeans about what a greedy cu*t your Prime Minister is. About how foreigners from China or Bangladesh are stealing your jobs, and that Singapore should be a country prioritized to SINGAPOREANS, NOT foreigners. And then I take a step back, and compare what was once upon a time a united country, now split in two. How much have we changed?

As a Malaysian Chinese growing up in a predominantly Malay government school, I can tell you first-hand what it’s like to be discriminated against. What it’s like to be ostracised, to be bullied, simply because my eyes were smaller or because I was born a different colour. I’ve had to endure years of insults, ranging from ‘Cina balik China!’ (Chinese return to China), to Chinese having the stereotyped smaller penile length.

Yet I endured. And because I am Chinese, proud of my ancestral heritage and history, I know that the only way for me to succeed in a country that isn’t going to give me an opportunity is to be Better than the others. So no, I don’t complain (much). I channel whatever disappointment and bitterness into a fire that helps me get through another night.

And because I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of a racist argument, I also know what these ‘Banglas’ or ‘PRC’s as you like to call them, feel like. Do you think it’s fair (or even NICE?) to judge them and cyber-bash them, because they came thousands of miles from their home in the hopes of a better life?

Hey wait, that sounds familiar! Didn’t someone’s ancestors once do the same thing? Hmm?

Just because my grandparents settled in Malaysia a couple of generations before the Banglas or PRC’s did, does that give me the f$#king right to claim this country for my own, while denying it to other like-minded people? And the same goes with Singaporeans as well.

Now some of you might be thinking: Hey you’re one to talk. You don’t know the sh%t we (Singaporeans) have to go through! And no, you’re right. Truth be told, I Don’t know what you’re going through.

1. I don’t know what it’s like to pay for an expensive-as-hell COE.

2. I don’t know what it’s like to work for years, not being able to afford a house unless I’m married.

3. I don’t know what it’s like to be stuck in a train every few months because it breaks down.

4. I don’t know what it’s like to have my potential jobs, stolen from me by a frigging foreigner.

But you know something? There’s a few things YOU don’t know about us.

1. We have to work our way up, fighting against a race-based system. It matters more about our colour and religion, rather than our skills and smarts.

2. We might not pay as much as you do, but cars are expensive (to us) here too.

3. We go through DAILY jams, because our public transport isn’t as efficient as yours are.

4. We live with the fear that we can get shot at/R@ped/mugged/beaten up/die in police custody/die in an interrogation centre/get blown up by C4 if we’re pregnant/die in a bus accident.

5. We live in a country where our elections are rigged in full view of the public’s eye (well, if you can see in the dark la)

6. We don’t complain about foreigners stealing our jobs. We go out of our own country to steal OTHER people’s jobs.

I’ve come across a number of Singaporeans, determined as hell to leave their country because the Government doesn’t work in their favour. So to those disgruntled Singaporeans, unhappy because daddy won’t give you a biscuit when you cry. If you hate your country or government so much, just leave. There are almost 400,000 Malaysians currently residing and working in Singapore, and I for one am a potential future candidate, amongst millions of others.

Keep up the complaining instead of doing something about it, and you’ll realize just how badly we Malaysians want your jobs. To end this piece: I don’t think that Malaysians are better than Singaporeans in any way (Except that maybe we smile more). I’ve got huge respect for a prime minister who brought a country up from almost nothing, to becoming the 3rd highest GDP per capita in the world, according to the International Monetary Fund. Had Lee Kuan Yew been the prime minister of Malaysia as well, the possibilities would truly be endless.

So Stop Complaining. It could be worse.

You could have had Mahatir as your prime minister.

Nickahol

TRS Contributor

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?201868-Let-a-Malaysian-teach-you-how-to-live-in-Singapore&goto=newpost).