PDA

View Full Version : The truth about SAF Rifle Presentation ceremony

Sammyboy RSS Feed
17-02-2015, 02:30 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

THis is a ceremony that many old timers "Pioneers" generation SAF regulars and NSmen would not be familiar with. It is a mind indoctrination game introduced by our Israeli military advisers some years back. Its is based on the long held weapons presentation ceremony in the IDF (Israel Defence Force). In the IDF ceremony, all graduating recruits from BMT training swear an oath at the ceremony and are given a copy of the the Tanach (Old Testament bible), and their personal rifle. This ceremony is significant for the IDF because their soldiers get to keep the rifle. The rifle belongs to them, they take it home, keep it with them in the event of a sudden attack or call up. This is the weapon they take to war (of which they have been involved in many) and this is the weapon that is really like their wife and could save their lives. This is not the case with the wayang SAF weapons ceremony. In the SAF ceremony, the recruit enters and leaves the ceremony basically empty handed. Its hard to take it seriously. In the IDF ceremony, the recruits are told of their importance to the defence of their country and that is backed up by actually giving them a weapon. So, just remember when you attend your son's ceremony, its just a mind game exercise to con you into taking some interest in what is in essence 2 years of wasted life.

At the War Memorial Park (WMP) on 15 Feb, the mood was solemn. As dusk fell and a heavy downpour abated, buglers sounded the "Last Post" - a tune often played to commemorate those who lost their lives in war.

In front of the Civilian War Memorial, 402 recruits from 1st Guards Battalion (1 Gds) were literally handed the responsibility of defending Singapore as their Singapore Assault Rifle (SAR) 21 rifles were presented to them in a ceremony at the WMP.

This is the first time the Singapore Armed Forces commemorated Total Defence Day at the WMP on 15 Feb, the day Singapore fell to the Japanese in 1942.

Chief of Defence Force Lieutenant-General (LG) Neo Kian Hong, who witnessed the ceremony, commented on the significance of the new venue: "This is a sacred place of remembrance of our forefathers who lost their lives during World War II."

He emphasised: "Remember always that strong security underpins Singapore's survival and success. Ultimately, if we are not prepared to defend ourselves, no one else will. That is why we commemorate Total Defence Day."

"It is my hope that this generation, and every successive generation of Singaporeans, will embrace this privilege of defending our homeland with pride and purpose," he added.

Commanding Officer of 1 Gds, Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) Fairoz bin Hassan, had a sobering message for his recruits: "Singaporeans must never again allow what is ours to be taken away...That is why you stand here today doing your National Service (NS)."

He continued: "Receive your weapons knowing that your country gives it to you with the trust that you will put it to good use... Use it to fulfil the promise that we have made on the day of our enlistment - that we will protect the honour and independence of Singapore with our lives."

His words were not lost on Recruit (REC) Mirza Abdul Martin, who understood the significance of the ceremony.

He said: "When I received my rifle, it reminded me of my duty to Singapore; what I'm supposed to do to defend it, and that I cannot leave Singapore to be defended by others."

His peer, REC Shawn Thia, felt honoured to be part of the ceremony that he considered meaningful.

He said: "When I first enlisted, I just wanted to get my two years of NS over and done with. Today's Total Defence Day, and getting my rifle, while remembering those who gave their lives defending Singapore, gives me a reason to serve NS."

Chief of Army Major-General Ravinder Singh, senior SAF officers and warrant officers, students from the Singapore National Cadet Corps, as well as friends and family of the recruits, also witnessed the ceremony.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?200813-The-truth-about-SAF-Rifle-Presentation-ceremony&goto=newpost).