PDA

View Full Version : Lim chin siong: I am not a communist, i was used by lee kuan yew

Sammyboy RSS Feed
27-12-2014, 12:00 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

LIM CHIN SIONG: I AM NOT A COMMUNIST, I WAS USED BY LEE KUAN YEW

.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;} Post date:
26 Dec 2014 - 3:27pm

http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/Lee%20Hsien%20Loong%20Lee%20Kuan%20Yew%20Lim%20Chi n%20Siong.jpg?itok=9byeZVbq (http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Lee%20Hsien%20Loong%20Lee%20Kuan%20Yew%20Lim%20Chi n%20Siong.jpg)

Mr Lim Chin Siong said in 1961 that he is not a Communist, in spite of how ex-prime minister Lee Kuan Yew had tried to paint him black. He said this in a commentary in The Straits Times on 31 July 1961.

"Your editorial comments and news reports in the last week have focussed attack on me," Mr Lim said.

"By repeating the fiction that I am a Communist front-man I suppose my political antagonists hope that it would stick in the minds of some.

"Let me make it clear once and for all that I am not a Communist or a Communist front-man or, for that matter, anybody's front-man."

Mr Lim was referring to the attack from the ex-prime minister Lee.

Mr Lim has recently come back in the news after the younger and current-prime minister Lee once again accused Mr Lim of being a communist.

"While Mr. Lee and his men keep crying Communism to cover up a multitude of sins, let me, for my part, try to get the record straight," Mr Lim had said.

"My political association with Mr. Lee began in 1954 when together we conceived and brought into existence the PAP. I was at one time its assistant secretary general and a PAP assemblyman.

"Since 1956, and particularly since my release from jail in 1959, Mr. Lee has sought to isolate me from the rest of my colleagues and the party by smearing me as a Communist front-man."

But Mr Lim called out the hypocrisy.

"Despite this sustained smear in private, he found it fit to persuade me to accept the post of political secretary," he said.

But Mr Lim did not want to partake in the hypocrisy.

"Not only was I reluctant to accept the post, but I had offered to withdraw from politics if he so desired it.

"He did not desire it," Mr Lim said of the older Lee.

"Instead, he wished to show the people that I was identified with the Government."

But Mr Lim decided to stay because he wanted to help build Singapore and maintain "stability" for Singapore.

"For my part I was prepared to do what he urged of me because I felt I should do everything in my power to support the PAP Government so that there could be stability in Singapore and we could get down to solving some of the problems that face our people."

Mr Lim then spelt out how the older Lee had made use of him.

"Even after having been appointed political secretary I was not allowed any say in the formulation of Government policy.

"On the other hand, I soon discovered that my responsibility was to support any action or chance utterance of Government Ministers.

"I was still to be used as political secretary to give the impression that the workers and the Government were one."

But soon ex-prime minister Lee turned against Mr Lim.

"Every protest or criticism from the party branches against the absence of internal party democracy or the politics of the Government was considered to be engineered by me. By trying to turn me into a whipping-boy it was hoped to cover the failings and sins of the leadership."

But Mr Lim said that his concern was still for the future of Singapore and to have a united government.

He said that his colleagues and him had "continued to emphasise the importance of left-wing unity.

"This was taken to mean that we had no alternative but to support the Government."

But the PAP government did not seem to reciprocate his desires.

"The leadership, on the other hand, was more interested in playing politics," Mr Lim referred to the older Lee and the PAP.

"They said they were going further than we - who are now branched as the Communist left - by demanding "the total eradication of "colonialism".
Mr Lim also referred to ex-prime minister Lee's ideas as "militant".

"Quite obviously, it was their intention to impress the people by this apparent militant stand.

Mr Lim also pointed out the insecurities that the PAP had which caused them to spread false rumours about Mr Lim and his colleagues.

"In their nervousness they began the shout about Communism and chaos, expecting to frighten some people into believing them.

"How funny can it get?" Mr Lim asked, bemused.

Mr Lim also exposed the older Lee for how he was trying to play politics.

"By crying Communist on the one hand and British imperialism on the other Mr. Lee must have hoped to win sympathy from both the Chinese-educated and the English-educated."

But Mr Lim did not believe that Singaporeans would fall for ex-prime minister Lee's tricks.

"Unfortunately, he treats the people as simple onlookers who would be impressed by his political acrobatics.

"This time of course he has not learnt that the people are not all that simple."

One wonders if Mr Lim would say the same of Singaporeans today.

He also said that the older Lee "now declares that he will not start a wave of arrests of political opponents, in contrast to his threats of earlier days, though he still hopes that the British will do it for him."

Mr Lim was later arrested under Operation Coldstore, together with more than 100 other opposition politicians and labour unionists.

In effect, ex-prime minister Lee's arrests of Mr Lim and the others crippled the opposition and allowed Mr Lee to take control of government for the next 50 years.

In end, Mr Lim said, "Mr. Lee contradicts himself this time without his usual sophistry.

"We may look forward to such further contradictions."

Indeed, Mr Lim predicted the future. The past 50 years of Singapore has seen Singapore glutted by Mr Lee's contradictions.

The younger and current-prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has also continued his father's tradition and tried to paint Mr Lim black.

The younger Lee had last week taken to comparing the signatures of Mr Lim with a person called Wang Ming, whom PM Lee said signed a "Communist study cell document".
Mr Lee then made the allegation that because he thought that the "handwriting was identical", "So Lim Chin Siong was a Communist, and the Barisan Sosialis was Communist controlled."

This is even though netizens disagree on his personal belief that the signatures are similar.

Moreover, the declassified British documents has quoted former Deputy High Commissioner to Singapore Philip Moore as saying in his report to London in July 1962 that, “there is no evidence that (Mr Lim) is receiving his orders from the MCP, Peking or Moscow.

"Our impression is that Lim is working very much on his own and that the primary objective is not communist millennium, but to obtain control of the constitutional government of Singapore.”

True to his words, Mr Lim wanted there to be "stability" and independence for Singapore.

But he was being played out by the older Lee.

It is clear that the PAP had played up the ideas of communist insurgency even though there was none. Many innocent Singaporeans have been framed over the past few decades just so the PAP can keep themselves in power. However, the PAP continue to deny their past atrocities and continue to malign the victims of their oppression.

Where Mr Lim had said that, "the people are not all that simple", will Singaporeans realise the truth of his words and help redeem him?

But as Ms Teo Soh Lung said on her Facebook, "It is easy for Lee Kuan Yew to stick labels on people who disagree with him and his ministers.

"It is always hard for those labelled to clear their names."

Ms Teo was also arrested by the PAP government in 1987, with more than 20 others, after the PAP accused them of being part of a "Marxist Conspiracy" to subvert the government. This is even though the arrested have spoken up to say that some of them do not even know each other and was maligned by the PAP.

Ms Teo was arrested without trial and imprisoned for more than two years. Mr Lim was imprisoned for more than six years.

Tags:
Editorials (http://therealsingapore.com/category/editorials)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?196610-Lim-chin-siong-I-am-not-a-communist-i-was-used-by-lee-kuan-yew&goto=newpost).