PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of SG Politician Believes In More Important Than His Religion

Sammyboy RSS Feed
26-12-2014, 08:10 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Moi noticed Sad Fart Godzilla and her ilk
Have been starting anti-Christian threads
To booster Biow Chuan's Marry but tarnished reputation
Talented and Unsinkified SGs of any religious persuasion

Or none like myself should not be distracted
Should any Lightning Farktard use your God
Against you then use defiant speech for ideas
Counter them till no place to hide their face

Basically it boils down to whether Sinkies
Believe in pledge they said every morning
When in school which unequivocally states
Regardless of race language or religion

War hunger ignorance and despair
Knows no religious barrier
Sinkieland may be ready for Christian leader
But I seriously doubt it will accept an atheist

Partial transcript (video to follow in next post):

Candidate John F Kennedy at Rice Hotel, Houston, Texas -

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected President, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured--perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again--not what kind of church I believe in, for that should be important only to me--but what kind of America I believe in.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish--where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source--where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials--and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

For while this year it may be a Catholic against whom the finger of suspicion is pointed, in other years it has been, and may someday be again, a Jew--or a Quaker--or a Unitarian--or a Baptist. It was Virginia's harassment of Baptist preachers, for example, that helped lead to Jefferson's statute of religious freedom. Today I may be the victim- -but tomorrow it may be you--until the whole fabric of our harmonious society is ripped at a time of great national peril.

I do not consider these other quotations binding upon my public acts--why should you? But let me say, with respect to other countries, that I am wholly opposed to the state being used by any religious group, Catholic or Protestant, to compel, prohibit, or persecute the free exercise of any other religion. And I hope that you and I condemn with equal fervor those nations which deny their Presidency to Protestants and those which deny it to Catholics. And rather than cite the misdeeds of those who differ, I would cite the record of the Catholic Church in such nations as Ireland and France--and the independence of such statesmen as Adenauer and De Gaulle.

But let me stress again that these are my views--for contrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters--and the church does not speak for me.

Whatever issue may come before me as President--on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject--I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressures or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise.

But if the time should ever come--and I do not concede any conflict to be even remotely possible--when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do the same.

But I do not intend to apologize for these views to my critics of either Catholic or Protestant faith--nor do I intend to disavow either my views or my church in order to win this election.

If I should lose on the real issues, I shall return to my seat in the Senate, satisfied that I had tried my best and was fairly judged. But if this election is decided on the basis that 40 million Americans lost their chance of being President on the day they were baptized, then it is the whole nation that will be the loser, in the eyes of Catholics and non-Catholics around the world, in the eyes of history, and in the eyes of our own people.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-View...MCntnSCvg.aspx (http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/ALL6YEBJMEKYGMCntnSCvg.aspx)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?196599-What-Kind-of-SG-Politician-Believes-In-More-Important-Than-His-Religion&goto=newpost).