PDA

View Full Version : Gurmit Singh quits showbiz

Sammyboy RSS Feed
28-11-2014, 10:10 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Gurmit Singh quits showbiz to make up for lost time with family

http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/BBg3Ra4.img?h=796&w=1706&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=182&y=167

Photos: Dang Hui Ling
Videos: Foong Mien Shi

“It must be a blessing to know that you can bring so much joy to people.” – That was the most heart-warming comment local celebrity Gurmit Singh has ever received from a viewer.

After 20 years in showbiz, the well-loved comedian will bid farewell to MediaCorp when his contract ends on Dec 31. During his interview with xinmsn, Gurmit emphasised that though he will take a break from being a full-time artiste, he will continue taking on assignments selectively as “he still has bills to pay”.
When asked on the reason behind his decision, the 49-year-old quoted his family as the main factor. “To be honest, I’ve been struggling to balance between work and family life. I have given it much thought in the past five years,” he said.

According to Gurmit, it was not a sudden or haphazard decision, but one that he has planned and discussed about with his wife Melissa Wong, who has always been very supportive.

There were “good days” when he could spend time with his family on weekdays and there were “bad days” when he did not get to see his kids (Gabrielle, 17, Elliot, 13 and Mikaela, 20-months) for consecutive days. But it wasn’t until last year that it dawned on Gurmit, a five-time winner of the Star Awards “Top 10 Most Popular Male Artistes” prize, to devote himself to his loved ones.

“I asked my children for their opinion and my two older kids said: ‘Dad, there were a lot of times when you were not around.’ That really hurt my feelings because I thought I was doing it right,” he sighed.

Although the Phua Chu Kang star tried not to work on Sundays, he was often absent from important events such as birthdays, wedding anniversaries and New Year’s Eve.

“People don’t realise that when I’m hosting a ‘live’ show like Singapore Idol, it could be my child’s birthday and my family’s having a party while I’m working. People don’t know that I’m actually thinking about the party that I’m missing,” added Gurmit. “I feel happy as a host because I’m doing a good job, or so people tell me. But I feel lousy as a dad.”

When the family welcomed a new member (Mikaela) in March 2013, Gurmit became even more determined not to let history repeat itself. Apart from his children, the actor-host also wanted to show his gratitude to his wife, who used to be an air-stewardess but chose to be a stay-home mum for the past two decades.

“She sacrificed her dreams, ambitions, time and energy. If she hadn’t done what she has done for the past 20 years, I wouldn’t be able to do my job properly,” Gurmit shared, declaring that he is more than willing to exchange roles with his wife in the near future.

While time lost cannot be repaid, Gurmit hopes that he could, in some ways, compensate his family. Delighted to have control over his job scope, the affable man called it a win-win situation for the company and himself, as MediaCorp will remain as his exclusive agent to manage his assignments.

“I haven’t retired from the industry entirely. I’ll still take up hosting gigs, movies and whatever that pays the food,” he reiterated.

In the official press release, MediaCorp Deputy CEO Chang Long Jong said: “Everyone loves Gurmit, the funniest man in Caldecott. But only those who work closely with him will know that Gurmit is a true professional – someone who takes his craft very seriously and is nothing short of a perfectionist."

Mr. Chang also expressed his support for Gurmit, an iconic member of the MediaCorp family, as he embarks on a new chapter in his life and career.

This year, Gurmit and his family moved out of their landed property into a three-room condominium that has been fully paid for – something that the comedian is very happy with, due to his soon-to-be “part-time artiste with no steady flow of income” status. However, the actor has no plans to start a side business that will demand extra attention from him.

As for the burden on his finances, Gurmit believes that lesser income translates to cutting down on expenses (no more Business Class travels, for example), but that is nothing compared to having more quality time with his family.

Gurmit, who recently wrapped filming for Okto programme KNOCKOUT Carnival, will make his last appearance on TV with Ch5’s Meet My Family and Toggle original series For A Better Tomorrow. If time permits, the host will be involved in the sixth season of Our Makan Places: Lost and Found next year.

To mark his “retirement”, Gurmit will be travelling to Finland to see the Northern Lights with his family next month. “For the first time in 20 years, I would be able to spend New Year’s Eve with my family,” he concluded.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?194763-Gurmit-Singh-quits-showbiz&goto=newpost).