PDA

View Full Version : FT Acquitted for Drug Smuggling

Sammyboy RSS Feed
19-11-2014, 02:20 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

SINGAPORE: A Nigerian man facing the death penalty for drug trafficking along with a Singaporean woman was acquitted on Wednesday (Nov 5). A High Court judge found the woman guilty.

Ilechukwu Uchechuku Chukwudi, 29, and Hamidah Awang, 49, had been charged in connection with the smuggling of nearly 2kg of 'Ice' across Woodlands Checkpoint on Nov 13, 2011. The drugs were found in the boot of Hamidah's car.

Justice Lee Seiu Kin found Hamidah's account "inconsistent" with the evidence. She had claimed she had trusted her lover - a man named Goodman - who instructed her to bring a luggage bag out of Singapore, and said she had no prior knowledge that it contained drugs.

The judge noted that she had reservations about the bag, stating to authorities that her lover had offered her RM1,000 (about S$400) as payment to bring the bag with her. Hamidah had also seen the bag cut up and two packets of powdery substances taken from it and did not express surprise or shock.

In addition, she had said to the interrogating officer: "I don't want to say anything, but just to say I am guilty. I am begging not to receive the death penalty because of my children." She later claimed the interpreter had translated her statement inaccurately.

The judge said he was satisfied of her guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

However, Justice Lee found that Ilechuwu's account was generally corroborated by evidence. The Nigerian had been arrested a day after Hamidah was detained. He had passed the bag to Hamidah at a Chinatown budget hotel earlier, and said he did not know it contained drugs. He first left the bag in the lobby of the hotel, returning 12 minutes later to pick it up. Secondly, after handing the bag to Hamidah, he accepted her invitation to bring him out for some food.

Justice Lee said: "This is not consistent with a person who is carrying the bag for a drug syndicate as the consequences of the loss of the bag would be very severe for him."

- CNA/dl

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?194274-FT-Acquitted-for-Drug-Smuggling&goto=newpost).