PDA

View Full Version : LHL’s strategy now and for the coming GE

Sammyboy RSS Feed
08-11-2014, 11:00 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

The National Day Rallies over the last 2 years got me thinking about what could be LHL’s strategy for now and beyond. The conjecture is that he is pushing for GDP growth at all costs. Here are my line of thoughts.

The shock in GE2011 and PE2011 saw the government holding a National Conversation in the following year. The initial line of thought for some Singaporeans is that “Wow, the government is finally doing something.” 2 years on, I wonder how many really think that way now…..

The reasons for supporting the conjecture are as follows.

1) Population White Paper (PWP, Toilet paper, you name it)

The controversial PWP will plan basically for 6.9 million population in Singapore. This will logically create more demand for goods and services. Goods and services include food, housing, education etc. This will certainly push up the GDP numbers. However, the PWP is controversial as it will certainly require many changes. The changes include a huge change in infrastructure and town planning strategies. More importantly, it will change the culture and mindset of the populace. Given that it surfaced as soon as the Punggol By-election was over and the speed at which it was passed, it was equal to that of a middle finger.

2) Changes in infrastructure

If you follow the National Day Rallies over the last 2 years, you will get a feeling that LHL is playing a game of Town planning. Talks of moving Seletar airbase, Project Jewel, relocation of shipyard services, re-developing Chinese & Japanese gardens, planning to combine Mandai Zoo and Jurong Birdpark………all point to town planning. Let’s not forget, changes to Bukit Brown and saying bye bye to places such as LongHouse and Lavender Food court? Or what about the golf courses?

While the changes mentioned above affect our emotional aspects of being Singaporean, the big question mark will be that of nuclear energy.

“oxygen” has mentioned in his super-long article (Sorry dude), that there are some problems with getting gas power. Also, you do realize that Singapore is pumping $63 million to boost Singapore’s nuclear expertise.

3) Free Trade agreements

We all still recall the CECA (Singapore Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement) that was signed a few years ago. I was not aware of the CECA until the Indians indicated that they want to “KPKB” to WTO, as we tightened the labour requirements as of last year.

Let’s not forget the ASEAN AEC that is looming in the horizon, but strangely silent, considering that we will be part of the AEC. The bigger question now is on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), which is hardly discussed. One obvious move from Singapore is to lift the restrictions on Fukushima produce, in hopes of getting Japan into the TPP.

4) Change in policies

One obvious example will be that of housing. Apart from changing Seletar into a future residential area, giving incentives to old folks to downgrade their flats in the form of a silver bonus is the scenario we are seeing now.

In order to fulfill the objective of GDP growth at all costs, these are the strategies that have taken place so far....

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/11/07...the-coming-ge/ (http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/11/07/my-take-on-lhls-strategy-now-and-for-the-coming-ge/)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?193610-LHL’s-strategy-now-and-for-the-coming-GE&goto=newpost).