PDA

View Full Version : Can we ever be known as Singaporeans.

Sammyboy RSS Feed
05-11-2014, 01:20 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

There are other dividers like status, class divisions, sex, wealth etc. The main ones are race, religion and language are the main dividers of any society. Is there anyway that we can remove Race from our Identity Cards. I would sincerely like to be known as a Singaporean. Recently I found out that children of mixed parents can choose to be called Malay-Chinese, Chinese-Indian, Indian-Chinese. Is this necessary?

The peranakan community was born out of mixed marriages between races. Over time they have come to become a proud community standing by themselves. They have their own cuisine, festivals, quirky dressing and history. Removing race from our Identity cards I believe will create this special oneness. One of our quirks is Singlish which we are constantly reminded to avoid. Our Lahs, Lehs and a mixture of malay, hokkien English is something which we created. Different parts of England have their own version of English which they are proud of.

Let us evolve to become Singaporeans naturally rather than giving us a constant reminder of our ancestral heritage.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?193375-Can-we-ever-be-known-as-Singaporeans&goto=newpost).