PDA

View Full Version : The leave structure in public hospitals disadvantages local chinese nurses

Sammyboy RSS Feed
14-09-2014, 03:20 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

THE LEAVE STRUCTURE IN PUBLIC HOSPITALS DISADVANTAGES LOCAL CHINESE NURSES

.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;} Post date:
13 Sep 2014 - 9:01am

http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/29health_1_2.jpg?itok=UIaadZnQ (http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/field/image/29health_1_2.jpg)

Dear TRS,
I would like to share my views of why there are so few local nurses in our hospitals.

My spouse has been working with Changi General Hospital for 7 years. When it comes to applying leave, my spouse's leave slot is always given the last priority. For example, for the last 7 years, I have been waiting for a year whereby my spouse could celebrate the Christmas Eve and Christmas w our family but every single year, my spouse has to work. Reason is because the priority is given to the Filipino nurses. I am very puzzled by this action taken by CGH as Christians and Catholics do celebrate Christmas too. It is an important occasion to us.

Okay, that set aside, I was hoping that my spouse could at least spend the Chinese New Year with our family. Yet again, my spouse has to work even on Chinese New Year as the priority is given to the China nurses for them to fly back their hometown to celebrate with their love ones.

I do understand that when it comes to certain occasions like Hari Raya Haji and Deepavali, priority is given to the Muslim and Indians respectively. I am perfectly fine with it as Singapore is a multi-racial society and I certainly embraces this.

What about the local Chinese nurses then?

To make matter worse, leave slots are always granted in a week. So if my spouse just needs three days of leave, my spouse still need to go on leave for that whole week (Monday to Sunday).

I am a teacher teaching in a local school. Our holidays are always the peak period of the year. And more often than not, the leave slots that we wanted is not given as it has been taken up. So, we could not spend time together with our kids. Now, where is the work-life balance that the government has been emphasizing?

With such system in place, I doubt any local will ever want to work for the local hospitals as their own benefit is not even taken care of when all the priorities is given to the "foreign talents". I am utterly disappointed with the way Changi General Hospital handles the leave priority. And I can foresee that my spouse will definitely leave this place in due time when my spouse gets a better place/country that respects the local Chinese nurses.

AC
TRS Contributor

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?189964-The-leave-structure-in-public-hospitals-disadvantages-local-chinese-nurses&goto=newpost).