PDA

View Full Version : Memorial bench for foreman killed in Nicoll Highway collapse -Only a bench?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
15-06-2014, 08:00 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Come on PAP don't be ridiculous!! Heng Yeow Pheow is a National Hero!! Only a freaking bench? We should re-name Nicol Highway Station to Heng Yeow Pheow Station!!

Memorial bench for foreman killed in Nicoll Highway collapse

SINGAPORE: A park bench has been dedicated to Heng Yeow Pheow, the foreman who saved eight workers in the Nicoll Highway collapse 10 years ago.

The 40-year-old did not make it out himself and his body was never found.

To honour his courage and selfless sacrifice, a bench in Tampines Tree Park was dedicated to his memory.

His family chose the park because it is their favourite and near their home.

The memorial bench will be funded by the Tampines Changkat Citizens' Consultative Committee.

His wife Sally Heng and two children, 20-year-old Daniel and 18-year-old Joann, were present at a ceremony on Sunday.

Mr Daniel Heng said: "Whenever I book out from my camp and come back home, I like to take a walk around the park - be it for a leisure jog or a simple walk to aid digestion.

“Sitting there just makes me feel very at ease. In a way, it feels to me, mentally, like my father is there to give me the support I need, like providing a platform for me to have a rest."

MP for Tampines GRC Irene Ng said: “This is an appropriate time to mark his death and to remember his life and the values that he stood for, and to assure the family that we will never forget.

“I hope that this event will help to soothe their enduring sadness, but at the same time, to also remind all of us the kind of values that Mr Heng stood for, why they are special and why we want to pass them on to future generations.

"The bench is also a very tangible way of showing that we remember, and that this is something for everyone to sit down and reflect on, and to inspire them to do better.”

- CNA/xq

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?184128-Memorial-bench-for-foreman-killed-in-Nicoll-Highway-collapse-Only-a-bench&goto=newpost).