PDA

View Full Version : Called up for ICT, lost vital promotion

Sammyboy RSS Feed
28-02-2014, 08:50 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

But FT's don't have ICT. Let FT get the promotion lor! Life of a Sinkie, song boh?

Post date:
26 Feb 2014 - 7:08pm

I am 32 years old and working for an engineering company for more than 5 years now. Currently am a structural engineer and my relationship with my boss had all along been quite good.

The company is taking on more infrastructure projects this year even though property has been slowing. My boss told me that if I continue to work hard, he can promote me to project manager.

You see, the thing about working in construction is that you need to be at least at a management role by 30s otherwise you will be retrenched in your 40s as you will be deem too old and unworthy to contribute. So this promotion is actually very important to me.

Unfortunate I had to attend reservist for more than 2 weeks and was not able to work. It is quite surprising to me as they had not called me more than 8 years after I ORD and only recently. Seems like this is the case for many people.

Even though it is only 2 weeks, This was quite serious as there is little chance that you can be absent when there is a project. Deadlines have to be met and SAF seems to not understand this.

As a result, my boss decided to promote someone else instead and I am feeling quite sad over this. Even though I didn't lose my job or anything, only god will know when the next promotion opportunity comes.

But by then I will already be too old and may be retrenched like many others as I am deemed not to make the cut. I find it very unfair that Singaporeans are subject to the whims of MINDEF and NS. The worse part is that I still have cycles to serve and they have the right to call me as and when they want to. I think I am not alone when talking about the opportunity costs of NS. It seems that many Singaporean males have suffered as well but no one seems to speak about it.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?176043-Called-up-for-ICT-lost-vital-promotion&goto=newpost).