PDA

View Full Version : SPH playing the race card on Ser Miang's poor poll performance?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
12-09-2013, 01:50 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

A WIN would have crowned a new era for Asia, but Singapore's Ng Ser Miang lost to hot favourite Thomas Bach of Germany in the fight to take over the most powerful office in world sport.

At the International Olympic Committee's 125th session in Buenos Aires yesterday, members voted in Germany's 1976 Olympic fencing gold medallist as their new president in the second round of voting. He succeeds Belgian Jacques Rogge.

The win followed the elimination of Chinese Taipei's Wu Ching-kuo in the first round. The other contenders were Puerto Rico's Richard Carrion, Ukraine's Sergey Bubka and Switzerland's Denis Oswald.

In the final round, Mr Bach got 49 votes, Mr Carrion 29, Mr Ng six, Mr Oswald five and Mr Bubka four.

Mr Bach becomes the IOC's ninth president and its eighth European chief in 119 years. Only American Avery Brundage (1952-1972) has managed to break the European dominance.

In his acceptance speech, Mr Bach thanked both members who had voted for him and against him and vowed to work together to take the IOC forward.

He said: "You should know that my door, my ears and my heart are always open."

Mr Ng's term as IOC first vice-president and executive board member came to an end yesterday, after back-to-back four- year terms. He will remain an ordinary IOC member.

He said: "I have spoken to president Bach to congratulate him on his victory. This is a time of great challenge for the movement and I wish him the very best of success in guiding the IOC as we move into a new and exciting era."

Mr Ng was almost a first- round casualty as he and Mr Wu were tied for last spot in the first count. Mr Ng subsequently won the tie-breaker. IOC observers felt the presence of two Asian candidates at the bottom of the pile signalled some members' concern over the rising prominence of Asia in the movement.

Over the next seven years, three Olympic Games will be held in Asia: next year's Nanjing Youth Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games and the 2020 Tokyo Summer Games.

But Asia will no doubt continue to play a significant role in the IOC's future. Its financial stability and marketing potential are attractive to the IOC.

Marketing and sponsorship dollars have helped the IOC grow and Mr Bach inherits an organisation that has seen its financial reserves grow from US$105 million (S$133 million) in 2001 to US$901 million in 2012.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?162754-SPH-playing-the-race-card-on-Ser-Miang-s-poor-poll-performance&goto=newpost).