PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Leong list reasons for failure of CHAS scheme

Sammyboy RSS Feed
25-08-2013, 03:30 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Only 300,000 Chas cardholders?

It states that “There are some 300,000 Chas cardholders now, and there is a need to reach out to more, said doctors.

The problem is that lower-income families do not always read the news, and so will remain unaware,” said Dr Elsie Tong, whose clinic is in Redhill.”

Eligibility age reduced, income reduced?

When Chas was announced with much fanfare during the National Day Rally speech in August 2011 – eligibility age reduced from 65 to 40 and per capita household income increased from $800 to $1,500.

5 months more to implement?

Just a few days after the announcement, some Singaporeans were disappointed when it was clarified that it would only be effective from January 2012 (actually the actual implementation date became 15 January, 2012). Why announce such an important subsidy scheme which will take about five months to implement? Of course, there was no indication during the NDR speech that it would take such a long time.

Wow – 700,000 qualify?

It was also reported in the media in August 2011 with much fanfare that an estimated over 700,000 Singaporeans would qualify. So, why is it that now after about two years since the scheme was announced – there are only “some 300,000 Chas cardholders now”?

As I was the talkshow host of a weekly one-hour money radio show from September 2008 to December 2011, allow me to share my experience on the Chas as there were many listeners who called or SMSed during the shows on this scheme.

The application form?

From the feedback of listeners, I think perhaps the obvious thing that could have and can still be done is to place the Chas application forms at the hundreds of participating private clinics (560 GP plus 310 dental clinics now). This would enable easy awareness, access, ease of application and of course the private clinics would have the incentive to promote the scheme.

For reasons perhaps only known to whoever makes such decisions – the hard copy form (lower-income people are generally not online savvy – online application form) are only available at polyclinics, public hospitals and community centres/Community Development Councils.

How much disbursed?

So, of the hundreds of millions of dollars that was announced as Chas subsidies that would go to help Singaporeans, how much exactly has been disbursed in the first year (2012) and so far this year?

Why private clinics don’t participate?

Currently only 560 GP clinics – or about 40 per cent of the total number – are part of the scheme.

Some doctors who are not on Chas said they were deterred by the process involved for such patients.

It takes five to 10 minutes to fill up an online form to obtain a claim from the Ministry of Health (MOH).

- http://leongszehian.com/?p=5825

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?160995-Uncle-Leong-list-reasons-for-failure-of-CHAS-scheme&goto=newpost).