PDA

View Full Version : Can Benjamin Sheares Bridge Take The Combined Weight of Stalled Vehicles?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
21-08-2013, 05:00 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Today at about 11.55 hrs I drove out from the KPE tunnel and straight came into a terrible traffic build-up all the way till the exit in Marina South. Later I realised that there was a rubbish container in Lane 5 ahead.

The jam was a horrendous sight and I am sure people in the Singapore Flyer (especially tourists) would be left wondering as to whether this is a common sight in Singapore.

What worries me most is public safety. Can the bridge can take the full weight of stalled vehicles which consists of monstrous prime-movers with long containers, earth-laden lorries heading to PSA and Marina South, respectively?

As my vehicle lumbered slowly up the bridge, after the Rochor Exit, I felt rumblings below - it was coming from the bridge. It was as if that tremblors had hit that region. Naturally I felt insecured and wondered what would happen if the entire columns below (spanning the river) gave way and all vehicles above would end up in the deep waters below. That is quite a height and should this sort of thing happen, I can't imagine the tragic loss of lives and properties.

As a safety measure, the Traffic Police should ensure that no vehicles are allowed to be caught in a jam on that bridge - between the KPE tunnel exit right up till the Marina South exit. If the TP has no time or manpower, then as usual they can hand over that task (outsource) to Cisco, Aetos or other private companies.

The sheer weight of all the vehicles that are left stationary (including trailers, heavy lorries and buses conveying passengers and tourists) is extremely dangerous and may prove fatal one day, if left unchecked.

The weight of moving traffic is entirely different from the combined weight from jammed traffic.

Will some experts please share with forummers about the dangers of such a scenario......

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?160548-Can-Benjamin-Sheares-Bridge-Take-The-Combined-Weight-of-Stalled-Vehicles&goto=newpost).