PDA

View Full Version : PM Lee : We are in this TOGETHER.....

Sammyboy RSS Feed
19-08-2013, 12:03 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Quote:
He acknowledged the uncertainty and anxiety among Singaporeans about widening income inequality, domestic social stresses and day-to-day problems such as the cost of living. But Mr Lee assured Singaporeans that they "will not face these challenges alone".

He said: "We are all in this together. We will find a new way to thrive in this new environment."

This "new way forward" will require applying progressive shifts to social policies in housing, health care and education, said Mr Lee, noting that individual efforts alone are not enough, especially among the vulnerable.

While embarking on the new strategic direction "is the right thing to do", he cautioned that "this is not without risk".

Mr Lee said: "All good things have to be paid for... We cannot saddle our children's generation with debt so as to pay for our consumption."

- Straits Times Report
http://www.asiaone.com/ndrally-2013/...w-way-together (http://www.asiaone.com/ndrally-2013/highlights/pm-lee-well-find-new-way-together)

It took him 7 years since 2006, to realise the biggest problem is social inequity which is worsening by the year and eroding our middle class. Late is better than NEVER. But by now we should be implement fundamentally different policies and solutions.

PM Lee is still constrained by IDEOLOGICAL BOUNDS rather than completely pragmatic approach. Take the problem of medical insurance for the old above 90. This idea of medishield life is the PAP way to solve the problem involve spreading the burden of caring for the elderly sick to everyone ...young pay more in medishield to help the old. For me, this solution is BETTER THAN NOTHING and helping the old from my pocket, I'm more than willing to do it because I feel the old has been helped.

But as a solution is this the best one? It puts more burden on young families, middle class and even the lower middle class to pay higher premiums. Why not solve it by tackling the root problem? Stopping the escalating health care costs which is the result of Singapore becoming a medical hub for the wealthy who pay top dollar for limited healthcare resources.

To help the elderly, whom are increasing in numbers why not:

1. Cut our excessive defense spending to start an old age fund to better support the elderly who fall through the cracks and fund the medical insurance from here rather than burden ordinary Singaporeans further.

2. Impose a new tax code so that those top earners who have accumulated a disproportionate amount of wealth under our system contribute their fair share back to our society.

The solutions given by PM Lee shows a strong ideological bias and this has prevented fundamental and more sustainable changes.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?160331-PM-Lee-We-are-in-this-TOGETHER&goto=newpost).