PDA

View Full Version : Ex-S’porean visiting from Canada startled at change

Sammyboy RSS Feed
17-08-2013, 02:50 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

I am a Eurasian Singaporean who emigrated to Canada back in the late 1980s. In 2012 I returned for Christmas to keep in touch with long last friends whom I have contacted through social networking tools of the internet era.

The first thing upon landing at the airport, I noticed how humid and hot Singapore is after so many years. It was cooler back in the 80s. Nevermind, this is not the issue though.

My stay in Singapore lasted for 2 months. I had been reading the daily news and the internet media and can’t help noticing how “messy” the place I grew up in has become. Pardon me for the ignorance, I had not been following happenings in Singapore for more than two decades.

Increased crime rate, High cost of living, absence of a social security net, overcrowding due to foreigners, lack of social etiquette among Singaporeans… There is now an aura of uneasiness prevailing in this place. Gone are the days where we used to be one Singapore, One Singaporeans.

There is an air of selfishness now. Society has changed. It has become more ruthless. I was thinking to myself, ” What the heck happened to the government?”

I mean in the past we had a good efficient government even western countries used to envy. It is so backwards now, it’s like living in a satellite republic of China. I can barely connect with the place I grew up in.

I saw old people, everywhere begging and collecting garbage. Shouldn’t they be having their sunset years?

These sights and sounds made me realize the state Singapore has degenerated to. It was not the case even during Lee Kuan Yew as Prime Minister. It also reminded me how lucky people are in Canada and Singaporeans who had migrated to in western nations. I was told that the ruling party PAP had been voted consistently into parliament every elections despite many problems in the country and that the opposition had made significant inroads into power in parliament. I was also told that the younger generation are increasingly apprehensive about the ruling party.

Many people also had complaints against the governance in Singapore that it had slackened over time with the son of Lee Kuan yew at the helm.

Told myself that this is the end of the road for me. It is better to remain in Canada and it was a wise move I made back in the 80s. It also reminded me about people in my 80s generation who were “politically castrated” , made to be in fear by ruthless techniques employed the the PAP in suing the opposition especially JB Jeyaretnam.

The government must have the answers since the country consistently achieves a wide spread of world rankings, i.e. best healthcare, best education system, best law and order, best welfare, best housing, least corrupted country, per capita income of $62,000 ranked 5th in the world vs Canada that ranked 22nd in the world with per capita income of $39,400, etc. These world rankings cover all the necessary conditions to provide every citizen with a decent retirement.

Things have progressively gotten worst. I sense a despair and hopelessness in Singapore. It was not the kind of lifestyle anybody would look forward to with enthusiasm.

Mark from Canada

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/08/14...led-at-change/ (http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/08/14/ex-sporean-visiting-from-canada-startled-at-change/)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?160144-Ex-S’porean-visiting-from-Canada-startled-at-change&goto=newpost).