PDA

View Full Version : Happy National Day..revive the kampung spirit!!!!!!

Sammyboy RSS Feed
09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Today Singaporeans wake up to celebrate our 48th national day. We are still a young nation You can find many singaporeans around who are older than our nation. Imagine that being able to carry the entire history of a country inside one's memory. These folks lived through every event that occurred in Singapore since 1966 ..and earlier. If you compare the number of major events that happened in Singapore, it would exceed that of most places n developed countries ...a 55yr old Singaporean would have gone through much more in terms of historic sve. s than someone living in Chiicago.

Our economic transformation is nothing short of breathtaking...from 3rd world to the first in just one generation. From kampungs to highrise, Singaporens lived through an urbanisation process not unlike someone in China moving from rural to city except we didnt have to move. ...urbanization came to us. I sometimes speak to old folks who once lived in kampungs ...they spoke fondly of their experience neighbors knowing each other so closely and in communities that that were closely bonded ....I always thought that the horrors of poverty being a developing third world county was so bad pple must have many sad stories to tell me but they didn't. The kampung days they missed dearly, the friendship they made n those days lasted a lifstims. The kampung spirit was something money cannot buy.

Why am I telling you all this? . The other day I met my friend a young father with children 5 and 6 yrs old struggling to survive in our globalized city. I asked him how are his neighbors, he told me he hardly know them can't remember their surname even Lim or Tan he wasn't quite sure and they have lived next to each other for last 6 yrs. He told me pple keep to themselves because they are busy with their own things(problems). Somehow as we become developed we always think we are moving forward but we forget what we left behind and some of the things we leave behind like the kampung spirit all the money in the world cannot buy..I am not suggesting we go back to living in kampungs but preserve this spirit of care and community that will make Singapore a better place to live n.

The quality of life is not just about infrastructure, housing and the physical things but the relationship people have with each other ...the country's spirit defined by how much people care for each other is paramount importance. We need a people who stand up for each other and not standby when things go wrong for others and mind only their own business.

In recent years we see the return of this kampung spirit but it is not brought abt by govt coordination or leadership. This spirit is revived by connecting people to form a community done through the miracle of technology, Singaporeans became connected to each other again ...sharing ideas, and concern for their fellow Singaporeans especially those facing difficulties. This interconnectedness is frowned upon by our semi authoritarian leaders and their minions.....they want to cut the connectins and control the conversatiin.

The nepw challenge for us the new the new generation is to keep our new found modern kampung spirit free and alive against the threats to stifle us.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?159304-Happy-National-Day-revive-the-kampung-spirit!!!!!!&goto=newpost).