PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed and Older, and Facing a Jobless Future

Sammyboy RSS Feed
28-07-2013, 05:40 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Unemployed and Older, and Facing a Jobless Future

The New York Times

I was recently talking to a friend at a party whose husband — in his 60s — has been unemployed for more than two years. While there are many challenges, she said, one of the hardest things is trying to balance hope with reality.

She wonders how to support him in his continued quest to find a job in his field of marketing and financial services while at the same time encouraging him to think about what his life would be like if he never worked in that field or had a full-time job again.

“I wanted to move to what I thought was a healthier place. I wanted to turn the page,” said my friend, who asked to be identified by her middle name, Shelley, since she didn’t want to publicize her family’s situation. “He saw it as vote of no confidence.”

For those over 50 and unemployed, the statistics are grim. While unemployment rates for Americans nearing retirement are lower than for young people who are recently out of school, once out of a job, older workers have a much harder time finding work. Over the last year, according to the Labor Department, the average duration of unemployment for older people was 53 weeks, compared with 19 weeks for teenagers.

There are numerous reasons — older workers have been hit both by the recession and globalization. They’re more likely to have been laid off from industries that are downsizing, and since their salaries tend to be higher than those of younger workers, they’re attractive targets if layoffs are needed.

Even as they do all the things they’re told to do — network, improve those computer skills, find a new passion and turn it into a job — many struggle with the question of whether their working life as they once knew it is essentially over.

Sorry guys, more gloom and doom coming the way of older people.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?158251-Unemployed-and-Older-and-Facing-a-Jobless-Future&goto=newpost).