PDA

View Full Version : Myanmar takes steps to allow women to work as maids in S'pore

Sammyboy RSS Feed
15-07-2013, 06:10 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Myanmar takes steps to allow women to work as maids in S'pore

By Saifulbahri Ismail
POSTED: 14 Jul 2013 5:39 PM

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/image/225092/1373794535000/large16x9/768/432/a-maid-at-work-485634.png

File photo: A maid at work in Singapore.

SINGAPORE: The Myanmar government has taken steps to allow its women citizens to work as foreign domestic workers in Singapore.

It has set up training centres to equip them with the skills needed before being sent overseas.

A total of 50 women have attended training and have been deployed to Singapore.

The Association of Employment Agencies Singapore (AEAS) will assist in developing a structured recruitment process and improve the training programme.

Win Kyin came to Singapore to work as a domestic worker more than five years ago.

The 32-year-old did not get any training before working in Singapore and speaks little English.

She said: "At first when I came to Singapore, I was very scared because my English was very poor. Now, I learn from my employer, slowly my English (has become) better."

Myanmar does not allow its women to work overseas as maids, but the regulation is not strictly enforced.

However, Singapore's Manpower Ministry recognises Myanmar as a source country for domestic workers.

Recently, the AEAS met with Myanmar's Labour Minister to seek clarification on the matter.

K Jayaprema, president of AEAS, said: "As a follow-up with the conversation we had with the minister, he's actually very pleased with Singapore and he feels that he would want to send domestic workers only to Singapore exclusively at this juncture because he thinks Singapore is a very safe country, we have very good policies in place to protect the domestic workers who come here."

The Myanmar government has set conditions for its women citizens to work in Singapore as foreign domestic workers.

She must be recruited by a licensed agent in Myanmar and attend training at an approved centre.

Only one training centre is approved, while another two are applying to get approval from the Myanmar Labour Ministry.

In addition, six months ago, the government set up an association of employment agencies for better coordination.

There are a total of 166 employment agencies in Myanmar.

AEAS will play an active role in facilitating the recruitment and training of these women.

This includes harmonising standards on recruitment practices between Singapore employment agencies and their counterparts from Myanmar.

In the area of training, the association will recommend more effective teaching of the English language.

In addition, it will ensure the welfare of the women is protected when they arrive in Singapore.

The association also wants to provide easy access should the women need support or assistance.

Migrant worker groups welcome the move by Myanmar to legalise women as foreign domestic workers.

Bridget Tan, president of Humanitarian Organisation for Migration Economics, said: "I believe there are thousands of Myanmar women working here as domestic workers, and if the sending country doesn't have a law that allows them to work here, then there will be no laws to protect them as well. So, what's going to happen to them when they have a problem out here in other countries, including Singapore?"

More Myanmar maids are running away from their employers.

Migrant worker groups like the Humanitarian Organisation for Migration Economics have seen a two-fold increase this year of women from Myanmar seeking assistance from them.

However, with a more structured recruitment and training programme in place in Myanmar, it is hoped that this problem can be mitigated.

Ms Jayaprema said: "The common complaints are the domestic workers are not aware of the kind of duties they are supposed to do here. Many of them are having communication problems.

“The other main issue they are always concerned about is the high placement fee that they are paying. Some of these workers are paying between 7-8 months. This concern was raised by the embassy here when we had a meeting a month ago with the ambassador. So, when that happens we see domestic workers from Myanmar going without salary for about a year.

“If this problem is addressed we are quite confident that the transfer rate of Myanmar domestic workers will drop, and we will see fewer of them running away, seeking assistance, because they will be much more satisfied working in Singapore."

There are about 27,000 foreign domestic workers from Myanmar in Singapore.

With the changes in regulations, more maids from Myanmar are expected to work in Singapore.

It is understood the Myanmar Embassy in Singapore is expected to appoint a Labour Attache soon, to provide support and welfare to the increasing numbers of their foreign domestic workers.

- CNA/xq

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?157016-Myanmar-takes-steps-to-allow-women-to-work-as-maids-in-S-pore&goto=newpost).