PDA

View Full Version : My Singaporean Indian Friend

Sammyboy RSS Feed
19-06-2013, 12:00 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

This afternoon I met up with my Singaporean Indian friend who I have not seen in the past 18 months.

I have known him for many years. Our friendship started in the army when I was a regular, he was my Platoon Sergeant when I was serving my PC tour. Like me he has now moved out of the SAF, and he now runs a small business dealing in paper materials and stationery. He earns between $12,000 to $18,000 monthly. He drives an Audi, lives in a rented condo, and employs 7 staff including a personal assistant.

He told me that he deeply resented the influx of FTs from India because now, no matter how well he does, he feels that people are biased against him -- he feels that Singaporean Indians are viewed as the same as Indians from India. He complained about the bad habits of the Indians from India, such as being excessively stingy, always asking for discounts (no matter how rich they are), being overly harsh and disrespectful towards service staff, and their tendency to congregate in large numbers as well as refusing to integrate with other nationalities. He said that Indian Indians do not even want to integrate with Singaporean Indians, and prefer to keep to themselves. He also told me that he finds himself having to read about news in India (such as the recent rape cases) and has to be conscious about how he is perceived. Previously he never even read news about India at all.

Do you think this is true?

Do you think you view Singaporean Indians in a more negative light thanks to the bad habits / behaviours of Indian Indians?

What are your personal experiences?

NOTE TO MDA CENSORS -- I am NOT a racist and I have no prejudiced views against anyone of any race. I am merely trying to discuss what appears to be a growing social perception. Nothing to do with racism or race.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?154791-My-Singaporean-Indian-Friend&goto=newpost).