PDA

View Full Version : Joke of the day : Grassroots leaders propose how to rekindle kampung spirit

Sammyboy RSS Feed
12-06-2013, 09:40 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Grassroots leaders propose how to rekindle kampung spirit

By S Ramesh
POSTED: 11 Jun 2013 10:02 PM
UPDATED: 12 Jun 2013 12:03 AM

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/image/632034/1368112096000/large16x9/768/432/stock-people-underpass-01.jpg

File photo: People walk through an underpass in Singapore. (photo: Francine Lim, channelnewsasia.com)

SINGAPORE: Grassroots leaders who have been engaging some 20,000 residents across the island in a series of Our Singapore Conversation sessions have come up with proposals to rekindle the kampung spirit and to help Singaporeans age with dignity.

Sharing the ideas at the closing session of the second phase of the People's Association's sessions on Tuesday, grassroots leaders said there is a need to know residents better and build personal friendships with them.

They said the key to achieving this is to conduct community programmes with purpose.

There were also ideas to have projects which are led by residents themselves so as to build greater affinity within the community.

Lim Swee Say, minister in prime minister’s office and deputy chairman of the People’s Association, said: "I really welcome your comments that you don't want to be just explaining and convincing. You want to play the role of a co-creator with the government in terms of policy formulation. And I can assure you that I will sit down and have a good chit chat with (Chairman of Our Singapore Conversation Heng Swee Keat) and to convince him to put this down very strongly as an outcome of the OSC."

Mr Heng, who is also the education minister, said: "When we started this, a lot of people said is it just a NATO exercise, ‘No Action, Talk Only’. I am glad to say no (to that).

“This year's budget, in DPM Tharman's speech, it's the first time ever in any budget speech, the finance minister spoke about what he gathered about the Singapore conversation and how the inputs came in from different ministries and if you look at some of the things DPM announced in the Budget, it is quite clear that even in phase one of the Singapore conversation, many of the ideas have gone into the preparation of the Budget. I want to assure you that all your feedback has been taken into account, of course not every idea can be acted upon immediately, but the overall drift of it is quite clear."

- CNA/xq

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?154297-Joke-of-the-day-Grassroots-leaders-propose-how-to-rekindle-kampung-spirit&goto=newpost).