PDA

View Full Version : Justice Pao is Chief District Judge?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

One gets the impression that Ms Ko is known by this judge that he decided to act like Justice Pao. I am surprised that he didn't find a way to put a death sentence on Tey.

Excuse me ...students at university are adults. They don't look at lecturers as teachers of moral values. Their sole purpose is to get knowledge or learn how to acquire knowledge. This is the lamest justification that I have heard. If this is true, then NUS is meant for babies where spoonfeeding is necessary.
Quote:
In giving his grounds of decision yesterday, the judge said Tey was in a position of trust and had a duty to nurture and impart the right moral values to his students. Yet, he "exploited the vulnerability" of former student Darinne Ko, and "chose to be corrupt".

Why not include the cost of abortion, the Montblanc pen?
Quote:
He was also ordered to pay a penalty of $514.80, the sum equivalent to the value of two tailored shirts that were given to him and the unpaid balance of a dinner bill at an Italian restaurant.

Is there corruption that is not "premeditated"? LOL.
Quote:
In his oral grounds of decision, Chief District Judge Tan Siong Thye said Tey "clearly" and "systematically" took advantage of Ms Ko, and his corrupt actions were "premeditated".

He sounds like a man seeking vengeance on Tey.
Quote:
The judge also said that more severe sentences were handed down for the charges in which Tey had sex with Ms Ko.

It doesn't matter that Ms Ko wanted it or agreed to it. I am shaking my head trying to comprehend this irrationality in his reasoning for imposing the upper end of sentencing.
Quote:
The judge said that while the sexual acts were consensual, they resulted in Ms Ko losing her virginity and getting pregnant.

Quote:
Sex-for-grades trial: Judge has harsh words for Tey

Quote:

By Adrian Lim, Bryna Singh And Walter Sim [why do they need 3 reporters to cover this event??????]
My Paper, The Straits Times
Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013

In giving his grounds of decision yesterday, the judge said Tey was in a position of trust and had a duty to nurture and impart the right moral values to his students. Yet, he "exploited the vulnerability" of former student Darinne Ko, and "chose to be corrupt".

Sex-for-grades ex-law prof gets five months' jail

Former National University of Singapore (NUS) law professor Tey Tsun Hang was sentenced to five months' jail yesterday, after being found guilty on six counts of corruption last Tuesday.

Tey, 42, had been charged last July with six counts of corruptly obtaining gifts and sex from his student, Ms Darinne Ko, 23, in exchange for better grades.

He was also ordered to pay a penalty of $514.80, the sum equivalent to the value of two tailored shirts that were given to him and the unpaid balance of a dinner bill at an Italian restaurant.

Tey, who is expected to appeal against both the sentence and conviction, was released yesterday afternoon after posting bail of $150,000.

In his oral grounds of decision, Chief District Judge Tan Siong Thye said Tey "clearly" and "systematically" took advantage of Ms Ko, and his corrupt actions were "premeditated".

The judge said that the sentence must have an element of sufficient deterrence, so that it sends a clear message that corruption is not tolerated in tertiary institutions. He added that it was an "irony" that the crimes took place at the NUS Faculty of Law.

Tey was sacked from his position at NUS after he was convicted last week.

The judge also said that more severe sentences were handed down for the charges in which Tey had sex with Ms Ko.

Tey was convicted on two charges of having sex with Ms Ko in his office on July 24, 2010 and on July 28 that same year.

The other four charges were for receiving gifts, including a Mont Blanc pen and an iPod Touch.

The judge said that while the sexual acts were consensual, they resulted in Ms Ko losing her virginity and getting pregnant.

Tey later told Ms Ko to have an abortion, while she was in the United States on an exchange programme, but he was not prepared to pay the cost of US$2,000 (S$2,500), the judge added.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?153647-Justice-Pao-is-Chief-District-Judge&goto=newpost).