PDA

View Full Version : Doctor cleared of molestation charges 'not bitter'

Sammyboy RSS Feed
27-05-2013, 12:20 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

A Sri Lankan anaesthetist cleared last month of molesting a nurse in the operating theatre at Changi General Hospital (CGH) has denied that he is bitter about his Singapore court experience.

Dr Senaka Liyanage, who is now working in a Melbourne hospital, said he was "neither mad nor angry" about the six-day trial.

The father of two was accused of touching the 26-year-old nurse's buttocks three times during a seven-hour operation last year.

It is understood that the case went to trial after the prosecution declined an offer to compound the offence - settling a case out of court with the accused paying an agreed sum to the other party who then withdraws the charges.

Lawyers say such offers are normal as they avoid potential mental trauma and distress for both parties.

Speaking about the case, Dr Liyanage said from Melbourne that all the people who supported him during the trial were Singaporeans.

They included hospital colleagues and friends, and a benefactor who posted bail of $15,000 for him.

"I am a foreigner and without the help of a Singaporean who believed in me and provided bail, I would have been remanded instead awaiting trial," he said in a phone interview. "I am grateful for all the support I received and have fond memories."

The University of Colombo graduate, who had worked at CGH for nearly two years, said medical insurers paid for his lawyers. It is understood there was insurance cover as the alleged offence was said to have occurred while he was at work.

He left for Melbourne last week to join his wife and two young children after his lawyer S. Selvaraj confirmed that the public prosecutor was not appealing the case.

District Judge Toh Yung Cheong, in acquitting Dr Liyanage, found inconsistencies between the woman's testimony, her police statements and a memo she submitted to the hospital.

Her claims were also not corroborated by independent witness testimony.

During the trial, senior anaesthetist Leong Wai Leong and other doctors testified that they did not witness anything unusual occurring during the operation. They included Dr David Chua, the surgeon whom the nurse said she was talking to when Dr Liyanage walked past and allegedly molested her on one occasion.

Dr Liyanage said patient confidentiality precluded closed circuit television recording in the operating room which, if available, would have cleared him.

"When I faced the judge for the verdict to be announced, I was upbeat in my mind and expected to be acquitted because I had done no wrong," he said.

The alleged victim, who is married to a doctor, cannot be identified because it was a molestation case. She resigned from the hospital last year.

[email protected]

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?153061-Doctor-cleared-of-molestation-charges-not-bitter&goto=newpost).