PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hokkein as low class language?

RealEstateGuy
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
http://forums.$$$$$$$$$$$$.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/why-some-people-think-speak-hokkien-%3D-low-class-ah-beng-3013567.html

HCKing
06-03-2012, 12:06 PM
u wanna learn high class hokkien? i teach u.:D

感你拿 ( Thank you for receiving )

Quick, go use it on all yr high class ppl nw.:p

CrisRonaldo7
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
In Singaporean society where proficiency in english is being seen as an indicator to the level of education and the socioeconomic status of the speaker, Hokkien maybe seen as inferior language. But I believe that in other asian countries such as China, or Taiwan, speaking Hokkien doesnt reveal whether the speaker is coming frm high class or low class background.

To say that, Hokkien is a low class language is definitely coming frm a narrow minded, bigotic point of view. Not surprising it is from someone who has sex with domestic helper regularly and also constantly promoting the morality in Singapore society, when he himself is a conflicted, paradoxical figure with no self identity whtsoever.

numb3ers
06-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I felt hokkien very friendly, local feel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-S7SJgN3Ag&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sinner1234
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
http://forums.$$$$$$$$$$$$.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/why-some-people-think-speak-hokkien-%3D-low-class-ah-beng-3013567.html

Dear Bro REG,

Hokkien as a language will never and should not be termed as L#% C#$%/ (i can't even bear to spell the words out in full to this sentence).

Hokkien speakers form the largest group of Chinese in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia.
Thus, you may have been exposed to those who used explicits in every sentence that they make and had been more or less "affected" "hooked" by it. ;p
I am exposed to such ppl everyday but i dn't see myself speaking that way.
It's more of "adjectives" to those hokkien speaking ppl.

Like your reference link, someone mentioned something like: "My grandmother speak hokkien in a normal conversational way....only my NS frds speak with the explicits".
Guess you had been in "bad company" if you find that what you hear n read is "low class".
Instead of going in circles saying "aiyah.. low class this low class tht".... maybe it's time you seek better company and indulge in much "higher class" lingo in your own definition"....

"Row row row your boat.. gently UP the stream.. merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream". ;p

Well.. perhaps you have given yourself the excuse of "well... if you cant beat them.. join them.." thought after all :o

Gd day to ya.

Ichigo_Kurosaki
06-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Why we gave you PR status? :o
You are anti-racial harmony in our society? :(
Perhaps we should revoke your status, license and deport you back to your tropical forest! :D

Johnston
06-03-2012, 02:14 PM
OMG LA BRATTAH!!!

bRaddah do you kow that in Fujian province and in Taiwan they speak Hookkien lah, brattah????

Braddah are you aware that chinese in all its forms is widely ridiculed even today in the western worlds? But never mind lah brattah, you stupid lah and got frog in the well thinking....

BRADDAH

LovePotion
06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Braaaaa dah... lol

cncs
06-03-2012, 03:19 PM
A lot of big time towkays also speaks Hokkien and Drive big Luxury cars. So are they consider as low class??

alan0338
06-03-2012, 03:38 PM
mai hiew lan zhee kor siao kia la ... yee bo jiak yeo, tao nao pai liao bo ho say ... :D

let him talk to himself .. :p

RealEstateGuy
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Braddahs the title of my thread ended with ?. Braddah was not a statement but rather a question to advance a discussion. Braddah, having said that one can say the elite status Chinese languages are in fact Mandarin and Cantonese. Most others considered jibberish Braddah. Braddah try to go to Beijing or Hong Kong and speak Hokkein and see if you get any respect. Fark in some Chinese cities (Tier 1 and Tier 2) you might even get your ass kicked.

sinner1234
06-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Braddahs the title of my thread ended with ?. Braddah was not a statement but rather a question to advance a discussion. Braddah, having said that one can say the elite status Chinese languages are in fact Mandarin and Cantonese. Most others considered jibberish Braddah. Braddah try to go to Beijing or Hong Kong and speak Hokkein and see if you get any respect. Fark in some Chinese cities (Tier 1 and Tier 2) you might even get your ass kicked.

Dear Bro REG,

Allow "xiao di wo" aka "small bro me" to enage you in the discussion then.;p

When you post a Q, should you also explain to ppl where you are coming from?
Why do you want to ask this Q also?

If you think it's low class, may i kindly ask wht is your reason in saying such?

Thanks. :)

Note: If Bro REG does not reply to any Q of mine, it means you do not have any intention for discussion. You are just welll.. plain to see.... asking for "trouble" ;p

HCKing
06-03-2012, 08:40 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Note: If Bro REG does not reply to any Q of mine, it means you do not have any intention for discussion. You are just welll.. plain to see.... asking for "trouble" ;p

he gotta 1st reply bro Apocalpyse's Q, which may require him another few centuries...:p

http://www.sammyboyforum.com/showthread.php?p=6950697#post6950697

ahkang
06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
If you go to Taiwan and see, their variety and dramas all in Hokkein.

Apocalypse
06-03-2012, 09:05 PM

Can I check with you, what language did force 136 and the british commanders used for Malaya and Singapore? :D

Apocalypse
06-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Dear Bro REG,

Allow "xiao di wo" aka "small bro me" to enage you in the discussion then.;p

When you post a Q, should you also explain to ppl where you are coming from?
Why do you want to ask this Q also?

If you think it's low class, may i kindly ask wht is your reason in saying such?

Thanks. :)

Note: If Bro REG does not reply to any Q of mine, it means you do not have any intention for discussion. You are just welll.. plain to see.... asking for "trouble" ;p

let him answer my force 136 Q can? lol

want to side bet he wun answer?

sinner1234
07-03-2012, 12:26 AM
let him answer my force 136 Q can? lol

want to side bet he wun answer?

Bro Apocalypse,

Take queue number in regards to this thread pls.... ladies first hor ;p

Maybe you are more attractive so he will answer you lor ;p
Then, i will wana complain if he does so, for having dble stds and tht to me is really super duper low class :mad:
I will take it to the "high" court of this forum and engage lawyer IK to stand as prosecutor with all my REP pts as remuneration :o.. tht's all i can offer :cool:

Then for my questions, i have to go f#$% spider myself i guess :o

Ps: Btw wht kind of answer you expect from your Q? unless he has relative who was in force 136 or are the british commanders then can answer bah.

ConanDestroyer
07-03-2012, 12:32 AM
hmm.... interesting

Apocalypse
07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Bro Apocalypse,

Take queue number in regards to this thread pls.... ladies first hor ;p

Maybe you are more attractive so he will answer you lor ;p
Then, i will wana complain if he does so, for having dble stds and tht to me is really super duper low class :mad:
I will take it to the "high" court of this forum and engage lawyer IK to stand as prosecutor with all my REP pts as remuneration :o.. tht's all i can offer

Then for my questions, i have to go f#$% spider myself i guess

Ps: Btw wht kind of answer you expect from your Q? unless he has relative who was in force 136 or are the british commanders then can answer bah.

History books say the british and american commanders eh..... spoked gibberish I think, together with our nation hero who was an elite in pre war singapore :D just need our high class bruddah to confirm what gibberish was that since he is a foriegner and his library last time maybe more well stock, unless he only goes to the library to bath once a week and look at pretty asian girls.

I bring 1 girl from poland to go ford factory that day to see that I know 1. :D

sinner1234
07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
History books say the british and american commanders eh..... spoked gibberish I think, together with our nation hero who was an elite in pre war singapore :D just need our high class bruddah to confirm what gibberish was that since he is a foriegner and his library last time maybe more well stock, unless he only goes to the library to bath once a week and look at pretty asian girls.

I bring 1 girl from poland to go ford factory that day to see that I know 1. :D

Bro Apocalypse,

Wah still not asleep. Really "zuo boh lan" ;p

History books nia (unless there are statements from the veterans then)..... wht really happen may not be so.... unless a true account from those veterans was given.

wah... how many ear holes the poland grl hv? ;p

HCKing
07-03-2012, 12:48 AM
REG: mai aneh kuan lah u all, lim peh nw si kia gao lao sai lao gui kor liao lah.

sinner1234
07-03-2012, 12:53 AM
REG: mai aneh kuan lah u all, lim peh nw si kia gao lao sai lao gui kor liao lah.

Dear Bro HCking,

highlighted abit "gibberish" to me leh..... :o... "lia boh kiu"

HCKing
07-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Dear Bro HCking,

highlighted abit "gibberish" to me leh..... :o... "lia boh kiu"

hehehe pai seh ah mine hokkien too low class liao bro.:D

yr Q to him too power liao la, TS scared till shitting in his pants. LOL.

skadinoeye
07-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi, IMO, I feel that Hokkien, or in fact any other forms of language or dialect is important. It would be ethnocentric to claim superiority for certain languages purely on the basis of the socio-economic profile of the speaker. In fact, I feel that it is a pity that languages and dialects are becoming extinct as we speak and I'm heartened to see people speaking dialects of the various provinces our ancestors hailed from.

Of course, the question is loaded in a way which implies certain class inferiority which makes me wonder the T.S's motives in asking this question.

What are you trying to prove?

From the way you posted this question, as well as your previous posts, I can infer that you are trying to incite a community within this forum.

But seriously, I hope you consider that languages are but a means to communicate, and we continue using Hokkien because it is less formal and it creates a sense of familiarity and for myself, a link with my late grandparents who taught me the language. I hope you read this and reconsider your prejudice towards the language which has significant meaning to most of the brothers and sisters here in this forum.

Thank you all for your kind attention.

Ps: I don't know how this point system works so even if you zap me I don't know where to see it:/

Turtle
07-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Turtle only worry is the new ah bengs and ah lian no know how to speak hokkien, den this dialect will be lost...:eek:

i have come across those kids, when i speak hokkien, they no understand.
But when i say knnccb, they understand. :rolleyes:

HCKing
07-03-2012, 01:17 AM

KNN hokkien also spelt wrongly still talk so much cock. i knw u r still online nw cracking yr nuts thinking of how to reply our bros questions. nvm take yr time to think but dont take too long cos there'll be more questions to come, since u requested for a discussion thread.

sinner1234
07-03-2012, 01:25 AM
hehehe pai seh ah mine hokkien too low class liao bro.:D

yr Q to him too power liao la, TS scared till shitting in his pants. LOL.

Bro HCking,

mian paiseh la... wa si hokkien lang... BUT wa eh hokkien bua tang sai... CMI.....:o

wa ai koon liao.... ai kua arsenal match...

good nght... :)

HCKing
07-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Bro HCking,

mian paiseh la... wa si hokkien lang... BUT wa eh hokkien bua tang sai... CMI.....:o

wa ai koon liao.... ai kua arsenal match...

good nght... :)

same to u bro, let's 'wait' for our dearest TS to lead the 'discussion' here again tmr.:D

RealEstateGay
07-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Can I check with you, what language did force 136 and the british commanders used for Malaya and Singapore? :D

Braddah duh... teach histroy lesson here

IwantbustyKim
07-03-2012, 04:11 AM
3 letters....starts with L...the one that cannot be named....Cos his policies make those helicopters in gahmen make Hokkien LC in our national consciousness...

sleep
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey REG
I try not to reply any thread started by you. But "lin peh buay tahan liao". Uncle have to voice out liao.
I don't call u bro. U ain't my bro. Pls check how big is the hokkien group in Singapore & the 2nd larger group of ethnic before you put a question. At the same time to learn & Understanding your roots.
If you think you speak & write good English please spell your "Braddah" well. Is "Brother". Not "BRADDAH"Got it.
Even your are super good in English the "Ang Mo" still call you "Asian".
明白吗? chye bo ah xiao.?

Apocalypse
07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Braddah duh... teach histroy lesson here

Or you prefer to attend class on chiang kai shek?

shaver
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I wonder which dialect group does this faggot thread starter comes from ? But a strong feeling tells me that he is not chinese but a PUNJABI braddah. :D

SH149
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Where is IK ?

Come in n join in the HIGH CLASS DEBATE ! :D

HCKing
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
REG: wah lau so many difficult questions to answer, i rather go post in Ode thread and tio flame better.:D

Ichigo_Kurosaki
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
各位亲爱山米大波论坛的哥们, 大家好, :D

我是福建阿明IK小弟 ;)

REG, Lu Mai Kana-Sai!

福建 and all dialects Mm-Si low class languages.

Our Country is a multiracial democracy. As far back as 1950s/60s and as recent as the last election campaign, many political rally speeches were given in 福建, other dialects and languages in order to reach out to the community.

We are always One People; One Nation; One Singapore !

Together, we will utilize our resources to begin the next great chapter in building a Stronger Community and Nation. In every era, WE - The sons and daughters of Singapore - must confront the challenge of connecting our nation anew. Our national plan must build on this multiracial strength in sustaining and advancing our long-term solutions to provide social welfare, civic participation, public safety and homeland security, community development, health care delivery, water/energy independence and efficiency, education, worker training, private sector investment, entrepreneurial activity, job creation and economic growth, and other national purposes.

Just like the emotions of needle and thread, we must believe that Where We Start, Who We Are, What We Are, shouldn't dictate Where We Finish.

Quote from a Hokkein love poetry: 針線情 (Chiam-Soa-Chia)

你是針,我是線,针线永远黏相倚. ;)
(Li Si Chiam, Goa Si Soa, Chiam-Soa Eng-Oan Liam Siong Oa)

We're awesome, each and every one of us, regardless of race, language or religion, don't let an OUTSIDER tell us otherwise!

Ask not what SG society can do for you but why you do not loved Hokkien Hae Mee. :D

Majulah Singapura! Majulah Singapura! Majulah Singapura!

SH149
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
NNKC IC Li eh hokkien si bei power :D

RealEstateGay
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=sleep;6961210]Hey REG
Pls check how big is the hokkien group in Singapore & the 2nd larger group of ethnic before you put a question. QUOTE]

Braddah , big group does not represent high class ,oh anyway did u notice the question mark behind the word language?

alan0338
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
lai lai lai .. lets dance ... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqDBdE6akKc

adicha
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM

I'm an Indian..born and bread in singapore...Hokkien was my mother language in my neighbourhood, my school, my friends and my dealings with my chinese frens...i learnt hokkien to speak and to also like you all....abuse in Hokkien...Anybody can issue with that...with hell with you...

HCKing
07-03-2012, 03:14 PM
TS nw busy giving high class advice elsewhere, where got time to answer our questions here.:D

Braddah when a wife is away so often esp at night something is going on. braddah don't keep your head in the sand. more better to know the truth than dun know and pretend nothing happening braddah.

HCKing
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
big braddah u r so man and sexy, watching u in action always makes me cum...ahhhhh ahhhhhhh :p

Braddah , big group does not represent high class ,oh anyway did u notice the question mark behind the word language?

cat not around all the mouse come out to play.....:D

dirtyhairy
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Bro A...alto me not born then...but was it the "sign langugage" for secrecy?:D

sleep
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=RealEstateGay;6962289
Braddah , big group does not represent high class ,oh anyway did u notice the question mark behind the word language?[/QUOTE]

talking about large or big group is mean bigger contributions to the SG society since 1820 till NOW.

In my view, in this world there is NO High or Low class. every one is equal, regardless of race, language or religions.

BAH CHOR MEE (S$25) a bowl at Conrad Hotel. Menu did not qoute HIGH CLASS BAH CHOR MEE. just BAH CHOR MEE.

Chairman of UOB. the riches man in SG society. he speak HOKKIEN. is he a high class person.? and the UOB Plaza own by him stand at 280Metre HIGH or not. Is the highest building in SG society. Mai Sng Sng ah Xiao.
and many riches man in HOKKIEN Huay Kuan speak HOKKIEN.

what do you mean by"High Class"? Don't take MRT, Don't take Taxi, Don't go to Hawker Centre or FoodCourt. Don't take any flights by any Airlines because you will fly with some HOKKIEN speaking persons. (Fly your own JET).

Don't ever look down or look up. look forward for a equal society.

RealEstateGay
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Braddah , need to to translate to hokkien for your better understanding?seems like hokkien speaking people have pool understanding of english :D do spend 5 minuties of your life and read the thread title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%3F

power69
01-05-2012, 01:59 AM
recently i watch a documentary by cctv4; a central china tv station,
i was about ching dynasty period, fujian provinice got one of the best
naval engineers, that build war ship, train under the french naval
engineers, it were used to fight against the japanese naval .
During those time, down south were much peaceful then.
Later the building of warship were transfer up north.

lls8
01-05-2012, 03:15 AM
talking about large or big group is mean bigger contributions to the SG society since 1820 till NOW.

In my view, in this world there is NO High or Low class. every one is equal, regardless of race, language or religions.

BAH CHOR MEE (S$25) a bowl at Conrad Hotel. Menu did not qoute HIGH CLASS BAH CHOR MEE. just BAH CHOR MEE.

Chairman of UOB. the riches man in SG society. he speak HOKKIEN. is he a high class person.? and the UOB Plaza own by him stand at 280Metre HIGH or not. Is the highest building in SG society. Mai Sng Sng ah Xiao.
and many riches man in HOKKIEN Huay Kuan speak HOKKIEN.

what do you mean by"High Class"? Don't take MRT, Don't take Taxi, Don't go to Hawker Centre or FoodCourt. Don't take any flights by any Airlines because you will fly with some HOKKIEN speaking persons. (Fly your own JET).

Don't ever look down or look up. look forward for a equal society.

Donald Tseng is the (ex-) Chief Minister of Hong Kong SAR.
Lim Guan Eng is the Chief Minister of Penang.
Both are Hokkien.
Singapore former Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong is also of Hokkiend descent.

Jeremy Shu-How Lin is an American professional basketball player with the New York Knicks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He is Economic Graduate of the Year 2010 Harvard University. He is also Hokkien.

"The fact that the prestigious Harvard University offer courses on the Hokkien language and literature indicates that the Hokkien language has been recognized by the international community and, in the meantime, Taiwan's national status will be further acknowledged," said Lu Ching-ching, chairman of the graduate institute of Taiwan languages and language education at National Hsinchu Teachers College, Taiwan.

Ref: http://www.sfmoe.org/asp_e/news_rl/news_19.htm

lls8
01-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Hokkien language is taught in elementary schools in Xiamen and Taiwan.
Hokkien language is widely used in most national TV in Taiwan and Xiamen.
Malaysia has one TV station that broadcast in 100% Hokkien language. The channel name is "Hua Hee Dai" or Happy Channel.

I do not agree that Hokkien language/dialect is low class. Read below some news articles......

--------------------------------

Harvard University to begin teaching Hokkien in the fall

GAINING RECOGNITION The courses will include information on Taiwan's literary works as well as formal language training

By Lin Mei-chun  /  STAFF REPORTER
Thu, Sep 06, 2001 - Page 2 News List

Linguists and language educators yesterday praised the "introduction of language and literature classes on Taiwanese Hokkien at Harvard University", saying that Taiwan's identity will gain more recognition in the international community under such an initiative.

"The fact that the prestigious Harvard University will offer courses on the Hokkien language indicates that the language has been recognized by the international community and, in the meantime, Taiwan's national status will be further acknowledged," said Lu Ching-ching (呂菁菁), chairman of the graduate institute of Taiwan languages and language education at National Hsinchu Teachers College.

"An even more important element is that the focus of the courses will not be limited to language training. The inclusion of Taiwan's literary works will make the nation's culture, history and people better known to the outside world. The event has significant meaning for us."

Lu made the comments in response to a local media report that starting this fall, Harvard University will provide language and literature courses on Hokkien, a Fujian dialect spoken in parts of southern China and here.

The courses will be taught at the beginning and intermediate levels for undergraduate and graduate students. Arnold Lee (李勤岸), who has a doctoral degree in linguistics from the University of Hawaii, will teach the courses.
Aside from giving lectures to promote Taiwanese language and literature in both Taiwan and the US, Lee writes poetry in Hokkien.

Reports said that the courses provided at Harvard will center on teaching basic Hokkien-language skills and Taiwanese literature.

If the courses are well received by students, the reports said, the department would consider setting up a research center for Taiwanese studies in three years.
This is not the first time an overseas institution has shown an interest in Taiwan's languages.

According to Peter Tiun (張學謙), an assistant professor in the language education department of National Taitung Teachers College, the University of Hawaii was the first overseas college to teach Hokkien-language courses, an initiative that began over ten years ago.

It has remained a popular subject at the school as a result of the ardent efforts of Robert Cheng (鄭良偉), a professor of East Asian Languages and Literatures.
In addition to the University of Hawaii, the University of California at Berkeley, Stanford University and the University of Washington in Seattle also provided courses on Hokkien. According to Tiun, the Zurich University of Switzerland once taught the aboriginal language of the Paiwan Tribe (排灣族).

The language educator also said that the Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission plays a vital role in the promotion of Taiwanese languages abroad.
"Since the change of government in May of last year, we've seen a change in the operation of the council. It is taking on more endeavors overseas. I believe these native languages will gain more international attention if the government continues its efforts," Tiun said.

Ref: http://taipeitimes.com/News/local/archives/2001/09/06/0000101741

lyulka
01-05-2012, 04:10 AM
My Mum is a Hokkien

Hokkien in my opinion is not a low class language.

but rather it's how we speak it and how they are spoken and how they percieved as that gain the title low class.

Any language is spoken agressively with valgarities will sound low class.

Compare a Ah Beng who spoke agressively with all the cursing with vulgarites in Hokkien. And a Taiwan grandmother who speaks Hokkien gently and you will know what I mean.

Compare a Cantonese who speak Hong Kong style valgarities with agressive tones and a gentle cantonese grandmother.

Compare a red necks and a elemantary school teacher teaching English to kids.

Compare a Arab rioter and a decent peace loving Arab.

Compare a French literature dialogue and a Angry French cusring girlfriend speaking French angrily.

Compare a country side super uneducated PRC and a educated, refine PRC.

I am very very sure u will see the difference.

AND YES I AM LOW CLASS. This is because I enjoy cursing and swearing valguritues agressively at the ignorant with different language

CrisRonaldo7
01-05-2012, 05:35 AM
i dont understand why anybody would reply to this sex-unrelated thread. this thread is obviously posted by a non-chinese lunatic. dont need to reply him because u can see tt he doesnt appear so much these days as we ignore him. the guy must have been beaten up to pulps by a hokkien speaking 'ah beng' once, hence this understandable reaction